The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get a Garw dash, but the website is sold out and I am not getting any answers from the contact us email.

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
That’s not good to hear. I have one of his dashes. Who would we contact for technical support if he’s not around? So far mine has been ok. Knock on wood.

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
@the1tonton This should be your indication you don't want move forward with GARW. For a few hundred dollars more you can get an AEM CD5 or CD7 display that's supported by an actual company with employees, has a support phone # they answer, a warranty, and software allowing you customize the unit.

Reactions: mattjk and cmaser

·
Registered
202 Posts
My experience with GARW is that he is often silent for months. The web site says it is sold out until more are available, at which point you have to pounce and order. Frustrating, I know, but the unit that I eventually received was exactly as described and has worked flawlessly. Other units may be "better" in some sense, but I would recommend the GARW for anyone who is considering the purchase.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@the1tonton This should be your indication you don't want move forward with GARW. For a few hundred dollars more you can get an AEM CD5 or CD7 display that's supported by an actual company with employees, has a support phone # they answer, a warranty, and software allowing you customize the unit.
I was under the impression that GARW is more streetable and plug and play where AEM with their dual can bus channels is more race only dash.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Can you install the CD5 or CD7 to replace the existing instrument cluster, or would you use this in addition to the current instrument cluster. The pictures on the web imply that the CD5/CD7 might not fit in the Elise binnacle.

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Haven't done it myself. Might be more work up front to install, but you don't have the trade offs you will the GARW solution.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I was under the impression that GARW is more streetable and plug and play where AEM with their dual can bus channels is more race only dash.
It is definitely more plug and play than the AEM, though I have never installed one. I have only looked at them in the past. GARW's is made to fit the stock location w/o modification and comes with everything you need to get you up and running in an hour. I have one from when it was first released, the first production run. It has been flawless. I purchased to replace my failing cluster that had a band-aid repair. For years I dealt with the all too common intermittent dead cluster. After awhile it started acting up again so I pre-ordered GARW's after followng his posts.

I will agree from what I have read on here, the support is definitely not there for the product and don't expect it to improve. It's a home-brew, although a very good one and you will be on your own to sort issues out if they arise. But considering what it is, its not a bad price for a replacement (cheaper than a new cluster) and most do not have any issues. I am not doing logging, additional sensors or anything like that. It is just a dash for me and works as intended...while also looking cooler. :grin2:

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@Mobius97 That is what i want to do. I am installing AEM oil temp and pressure gauges tonight into my rebuild project and will use the outputs from those for the Garw when i get one. I like the idea of a backup camera and other cool features of that dash. Now I just wish he made more haha.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I considered a AiM MXS Strada before I bought a Garw. I went with the Garw because it's mostly set up already. With the AiM, you're pretty much on your own to figure out all the inputs.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I got one of his early dashes and while it is true about him disappearing at times, mine has worked perfectly and was no more difficult to install than a radio. Not sure what to tell you, but keep an eye on the site.

Reactions: darkSol

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
I've been itching to get one of these. Hopefully they come back in stock soon. :(

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Website is taking pre-orders now for Dec delivery.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Just pre ordered :)

How do we handle Mileagle? Do we need to report to the DMV and get a tag?

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Just pre ordered :)

How do we handle Mileagle? Do we need to report to the DMV and get a tag?
You can set the mileage on the GARW. Take a pic of your old mileage before transferring the GARW. No need to report to DMV. Also, helps new owners if you ever decide to sell you have records.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: mattjk

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had my dash out of order, sent it back for repair ans since 3 weeks nobody is answering my emails, I just wonder if I will see it back again one day ?
Ludo

1 - 18 of 18 Posts