The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,078 Posts
I think it will be awhile.
I understand that no longer is there multilapping of the old circuit, so times of the past may not be relevant.
But maybe someone who really knows what they are talking about will be along shortly.
m.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are still running there, the reason I ask is because I just got the new C6 Corvette's numbers and wanted to see how they compared.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,293 Posts
Joecooool said:
They are still running there, the reason I ask is because I just got the new C6 Corvette's numbers and wanted to see how they compared.
So what are they...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Patricko said:
So what are they...
7:56 - Corvette C6
7:56 - Porsche 996 GT3 (in 2000)
7:56 - Porsche 996 Turbo (in 2000)
7:52 - Gemballa Porsche 993
7:55 - GSX-R 750 -98
7:55 - Kawasaki ZX-9R
8:09 - Lamborghini Diablo SV
8:05 - 2002 Ferrari 575 Maranello
8:09 - Porsche 993 GT2
8:07 - Ferrari 550 Maranello
8:13 - Ferrari F355
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
timing is not that easy. Because you have to pay at the gate for every round (14 € for 1 lap, 60€ for 5, 700€ for 1 year IIRC). Unless you rent the whole Nordschleife at about 800€/hour.

Everyone takes it easy for the last km or so, because engine and brakes need their time to cool down.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Patricko said:
http://nurburgring.de/?rubrik=rekorde&lang=eng

It seems that there are 20KM, 22KM & 24KM times so without knowing more one what lenth the C6 ran we can not compare the times.
20,832 km length
I would not think a C6 would have a chance of running with a GT3 or GT2.
Well, you would be mistaken. The C6 is more powerful than the GT3 and just a little under the power of the GT2.

Please don't say that the Porsche can outhandle a Corvette, that school of thought has been obsolete since the introduction of the Z06.

If a Z06 could handle these cars, its only logical to think the next generation Corvette would as well.

The new Z06 to be introduced in Detroit later this year will be the fastest, best handling American made car ever - and that includes the new Ford GT. I got that straight from Dave Hill's mouth not four days ago at the National Corvette Museum.

There will be one of those parked next to my Elise in 2007...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,158 Posts
This ring is not a good indicator of the Elise's performance, because horsepower is such an important aspect of overall performance. Big heavy four door sedans should have lower lap times.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
368 Posts
Joecooool said:
7:56 - Corvette C6
7:56 - Porsche 996 GT3 (in 2000)
7:56 - Porsche 996 Turbo (in 2000)
7:52 - Gemballa Porsche 993
7:55 - GSX-R 750 -98
7:55 - Kawasaki ZX-9R
8:09 - Lamborghini Diablo SV
8:05 - 2002 Ferrari 575 Maranello
8:09 - Porsche 993 GT2
8:07 - Ferrari 550 Maranello
8:13 - Ferrari F355
The 2003/4 GT3 runs in the 7:40's somewhere, i"ll see if i can find the exact #. If Chevy didnt fix the vette brakes then no way it can compete with the porsches and the like...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
368 Posts
Joecooool said:
20,832 km length Well, you would be mistaken. The C6 is more powerful than the GT3 and just a little under the power of the GT2.

Please don't say that the Porsche can outhandle a Corvette, that school of thought has been obsolete since the introduction of the Z06.

If a Z06 could handle these cars, its only logical to think the next generation Corvette would as well.

The new Z06 to be introduced in Detroit later this year will be the fastest, best handling American made car ever - and that includes the new Ford GT. I got that straight from Dave Hill's mouth not four days ago at the National Corvette Museum.

There will be one of those parked next to my Elise in 2007...
Joe I'm sorry but your statements indicate you have little to no track time under your belt or you would know that the z06 is no match for either the gt2 or gt3 on the track, and i'm not talking 1/4 mile... the c6 may be a closer mtach if chevy made some improvements to the chasis and brakes, both weak points of the vette. btw, somewhere i probably have footage of my old modified boxster toasting a z06 at the track...

vettes are fine cars but if you think they are the be-all and end-all of sports cars on the track you are sadly mistaken....
 

·
Forum Founder
Joined
·
29,083 Posts
I have to say though... the Z06 is an exceptional car and I am not a fan of Corvettes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,167 Posts
Speaking of THE RING. Has anyone taken the Taxi Ring ride with Sabine in the M5? If not I'd recommend it. She rocks! I'm in love!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
Have you guys seen this?

http://www.radicalmotorsport.com/gallery/ring2b.mpg

It's a Turbo Radical running the ring at 7:19 (claimed).



FWIW, Corvette Museum quotes "under 8 minutes" for the current Z06. The standard C6 is supposed to be on par with the current Z06. Some tweaks to chassis, brakes and slight weight reduction but nothing major. C6 Z06 has bigger brakes and more HP (500-600) and revised active suspension so that average drivers can do more, but still very American in that

bigger brakes + bigger engine = better car

http://www.corvettemuseum.com/specs/2004/index.shtml

The comment about big horsepower at the ring is exemplified by the current Cadillac CTS-V 400HP @3800 pounds, but runs the ring at 8:19 (Chevy Claim).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,744 Posts
Joecooool said:
20,832 km length Well, you would be mistaken. The C6 is more powerful than the GT3 and just a little under the power of the GT2.

Please don't say that the Porsche can outhandle a Corvette, that school of thought has been obsolete since the introduction of the Z06.

If a Z06 could handle these cars, its only logical to think the next generation Corvette would as well.

The new Z06 to be introduced in Detroit later this year will be the fastest, best handling American made car ever - and that includes the new Ford GT. I got that straight from Dave Hill's mouth not four days ago at the National Corvette Museum.

There will be one of those parked next to my Elise in 2007...
One word... SALEEN
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Later Apex said:
Joe I'm sorry but your statements indicate you have little to no track time under your belt or you would know that the z06 is no match for either the gt2 or gt3 on the track, and i'm not talking 1/4 mile... the c6 may be a closer mtach if chevy made some improvements to the chasis and brakes, both weak points of the vette. btw, somewhere i probably have footage of my old modified boxster toasting a z06 at the track...

vettes are fine cars but if you think they are the be-all and end-all of sports cars on the track you are sadly mistaken....
And yours indicates your a typical Porsche driver. Otherwise you would know that the Z06 is a world class competitor when it comes to track times.

A Boxster beating a Z06 is laughable. The only way you ever did that was if the Corvette owner was driving with one hand tied behind his back and an eye patch on. The Porsche Boxster is so outclassed by a Z06 that you might as well be running against an SUV. Here are raw numbers from a comparo - http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=225

And just where do you get off saying that the chassis is a weak point of the Vette? :no:

Is the Corvette the end all of sports cars? Absolutely not, however its sufficient to run and beat the Porsches in question.

But your right, being class champion for my SCCA club hardly qualifies me to know what I'm talking about...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
The timing of the laps quoted by Joecoool are full flying laps which were taken during manufacturer test days or other days in which the 'Ring is closed to the public.

I agree that the Vette can turn some impressive lap times and if that's the only thing one cares about then it's a hell of a bang for the buck and they've really come a long way. Personally, I hate the driving position, the build quality, paint job and fit and finish are horrible. After 10k miles it shakes, squeaks and rattles over the smallest of road imperfections. On top of it, Corvette still hasn't managed to shake the stigma attached to it (gold chain crowd) since the early 1970's.

The Nurburgring is not a good indicator of how a car will perform on most of the tracks here in the USA. Relative to our tracks, the 'Ring is easy on brakes and has mostly high speed flowing corners over its 13 miles. Horsepower is very important with the big elevation changes and long uphill sections. With some street cars averaging over 100mph, it's a very high speed circuit and much more demanding of the driver than of the car.

The closest thing here in the US that I have driven is the Bridgehampton Circuit (RIP).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
Joecooool said:


But your right, being class champion for my SCCA club hardly qualifies me to know what I'm talking about...
Joe,
What club racing class in SCCA does a superchaged Lingenfelter Vette compete in? That would be worth coming out to see.
 
1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Top