The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've got a Pioneer HU that had Sirius hooked up when we purchased the car. Previous owner had a lifetime sub and said he'd keep it hooked up for a month or so. That was 13 months ago.

It has started skipping and I can't exactly call customer service.

Is Sirius like the Satellite TV companies where they "reflash" your unit with a decoder every so often?

Anyone care to guess why our playback is intermittent?

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
We've got a Pioneer HU that had Sirius hooked up when we purchased the car. Previous owner had a lifetime sub and said he'd keep it hooked up for a month or so. That was 13 months ago.

It has started skipping and I can't exactly call customer service.

Is Sirius like the Satellite TV companies where they "reflash" your unit with a decoder every so often?

Anyone care to guess why our playback is intermittent?
Sirius does download data occasionally... I remember not using the car for a while and having to wait about 5 minutes as the unit was getting some kind of download.

When you say skipping, do mean mean "dropouts" in the program? That sounds like a signal strength issue, not a subscription issue. If your radio's satellite ID number is not authorized, you usually just get the preview channel. For what it's worth, I get occasional dropouts on the XM radio in the Alpine unit in the Lotus when it's sitting in the garage, since it has an obstructed view of the sky. The Sirius radio in the Audi almost never worked in the garage.

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
Check the antenna connection and placement. On my STI I just threw the antenna underneath the plastic sections of the dash and it was fine until I hit the RallyCross course and it apparently fell down deeper into the dash. Now, it drops out whenever I go under a power line or bridge.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I've noticed the Sirius in my Range Rover has been cutting in and out lately. I think it has to do with where the satellite is positioned throughout the year.
I know that occasional sunspots also affect satellite TV, but I don't know if the same is true for satellite radio.

It works fine for months, and then has a few weeks where it is tempermental.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I'm in a heavily wooded area, and it's seasonal, winter performance is perfect, leaves on trees cause it to cut way out. I vote to pave all the forests between my work and home.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Same issue as described above. Foilage on the trees, going under bridges, heavy rain, etc, can all lead to signal disruptions. Nothing worse than a heavy downpour when Tiffany Granath is on. rotfl

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Same issue as described above. Foilage on the trees, going under bridges, heavy rain, etc, can all lead to signal disruptions. Nothing worse than a heavy downpour when Tiffany Granath is on. rotfl
Actually, I'll give you a worse situation, leaving it on that channel and having your wife and kids use your car the next day ;)

"Do you need access to smut every moment you are awake?"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts