The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Perusing around the internet I found the following post, seems the only thing we need to know is the names of the vessels

Author: KathyO
Subject: How to Track Your 645 Across the Ocean....

... OK, this probably falls into the category of certifiably obsessive compulsive but for all of you out there crazed like me (no offense intended), meaning those who have a vehicle on the water on its way, here's some additional info on how to track it's progress:

First, get the name of the vessel your car is cruising on (you should be able to get this from your dealer), and go to the U.S. Coast Guard vessel search page linked below:

http://cgmix.uscg.mil/PSIX/PSIX2/VesselSearch.asp

This page will tell you some interesting info about your ship (including it's most recent service problems and how old it is - GULP!), but will also give you an important piece of information called the Vessel Call Sign. This will be a short numeric or alpha designator for the vessel that is used to identify it for various marine purposes.

Next, go to a site from an organization called Ocean Weather Inc. at:

http://www.oceanweather.com/data/

Click on the tab for "Current Marine Data" - then click on the map for the section of the world where you think the ship should be about now. You'll see data points marked with the Call Signs, and with any luck, you'll be able to locate the exact location of your vessel and vehicle!

This site is updated hourly, as ships report in their locations. It is possible that you'll see your ship one time and not another, depending on how and when it reports in. But, you'll eventually be able to track it coming across the pond if you're so inclined - assuming you are able to get the Call Sign.

The other place for information - although less current - is from the cargo company itself, and I believe this has been reported previously, but for newcomers, if your car is being shipped by the Wallenius Wilhelmsen lines, you can go to their website at:

http://www.2wglobal.com/www/WEP/index.jsp

Here you can track by vessel name, voyage number or VIN. If the VIN doesn't work, try the vessel name which is a bit more reliable.

Just thought there might be some of you who'd be interested....

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Called my dealer this morning to get the vessel names(readily available when audi and porsche loads are on their way) he says they don't have that info. Unlikley!
Originally I was told late July early August delivery(#8 car), now he says October 15th.
Since he was telling me that the car wasn't even close to production I asked if I could delete the radio and a/c and he says "no your car is locked into production at this point" (weird)
He's probably right about the timeframe though, Demo expected by july 15, then 3 cars per month thereafter.....
Must be patient and show restraint. Must be patient and show restraint. Must be patient and show restraint.....

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
You've got to be kidding.. the thousands of anxious drivers and Lotus buyers we have on this board, and nobody has the pull or connections to find out the name of the boat they shipped on??

That's it.. we have to turn in our Obsessive Enthusiast badges now and hang our head in apathetic shame.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Would be kinda cool to know when the ships arrive. I am only 5 miles away from the port. It would be fun to take some pics of the containers coming off. Or maybe not. Depends if they unload the containers then or transport them.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Randy Chase said:
Would be kinda cool to know when the ships arrive. I am only 5 miles away from the port. It would be fun to take some pics of the containers coming off. Or maybe not. Depends if they unload the containers then or transport them.
Assuming you are in San Diego. I would assume all cars arrive at Eastern ports given the fact England is closer to the east coast. The western cars are then shipped by transport trucks, rails, whatever. I can't see any reason cars would arrive at a California port, unless shipped from Japan.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Nope. I have been told by Lotus that one ship goes to the East Coast and one to the West Coast. Cars are then transported to dealers from the two distribution points. And San Diego is the west coast port.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
The ship Captain got San Diego confused with San Dimas. The rest is history. San Dimas High School football RULES!

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
San Diego port, really? That's cool. I thought it was Long Beach.

If we can get a line on when they arrive, I'll go stake the place out with some long-ass "terrist" lens and post live pics. Then I'll slap a magnetic GPS/GMRS tracking device on each suspected crate so we can give the dealerships a call and let THEM know when the cars are on the way. THEN, we can call LCU and tell them where their cars went.

At that point they would be able to post the information that they really wish they could share.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Randy Chase said:
Nope. I have been told by Lotus that one ship goes to the East Coast and one to the West Coast. Cars are then transported to dealers from the two distribution points. And San Diego is the west coast port.
I stand corrected.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Even better.. where is this San Diego distribution center?

Would that be where the hallowed containers are opened? Camera standing by for assignment.

Hey, if the Bimmer guys can obsess over this mundane stuff, so can we.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ground Loop said:
Hey, if the Bimmer guys can obsess over this mundane stuff, so can we.
That's nothing, the Mini guys can even find out where their car is at in the production line

http://www.mini2.com/forum/faq.php?faq=faq_delivery#faq_faq_tracking_usa

037 Order is at BMW NA [ON ORDER]
087 Production Week Assigned
097 Order sent to factory
111 Order Accepted at factory
112 Order scheduled for Production
150 Production Started [SCHEDULED FOR PRODUCTION]
151 Body Shop Started
152 Paint Shop Started
153 Assembly Started
155 Production Completed
160 Released to Distribution
182 Released to Carrier [AWAITING TRANSPORTATION]
193 Arrived at Port of Exit [RECEIVED AT TERMINAL]
194 Selected for Shipment [LOADED ON VESSEL]
195 Shipped from Port of Exit [EN ROUTE]
196 Shipment Arrival [DISCHARGED]

And they obsess about their cars the same as we do :)

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
Actually Randy, not to nitpick, the cars actually arrive at LA's port and are tranported by truck(?) to San Diego the location of the distribution center.
Chris
Not to nitpick, but Long Beach. :)

You are correct. Containers to Long Beach, then transported to distribution center in San Diego, cars are taken out of the containers and port options applied, cars washed if reqd, and then loaded on trucks to go to dealers.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Damn Miguel.. I'm so unbelievably jealous. THAT's how I picture customer information in the 21st century. It's gotten to where I won't even buy computer parts from a place that can't provide online order tracking.

Before four people all pile in and remind me that "Lotus is a wee band of blokes that doesn't have the resources of BMW, so they are forced to remain mute forever and leave distribution details to whims of Neptune", let me just say that I damn near shed a tear of Randy's 'simulated communication from Lotus'.

If I'm ever again in the same room as a Lotus rep, I'll bring a printout of it as an example of what they could do to improve the "customer experience" for under $1.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts