The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on installing a rear view camera in my Exige and had read the various posts. But I was curious if anyone local has done it or had it done. My hope was catching someone at one of the get togethers so I could see the install first hand in order to get a better idea on how to install.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I did a rear view camera install, this link helped: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/1477708-post9.html

You can pull the wire into the trunk, via the grommets that Lotus ran the license lights with

From trunk to Engine Bay, grommet behind the battery.

Wire runs along the drivers side rear wheel well (inside car) to the grommet imaged in the link.

I did this without removing my seats, or anything. Really very straight forward.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What camera / Monitor did you end up with? And did you end up adding a circuit for power or did you tap off of something else?

Thanks again,

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I can't remember the model number, but it's an audiovox wireless backup camera kit (camera and monitor).

I tapped power off the reverse lights in the trunk.

If you are looking for an "always on" solution, you can get switched power from the C3 fuse under the dash. use a fusetap, fast and easy (I like to minimize my crimping and cutting).
I used that fuse for setting up a USB power supply rather than using the cigarette lighter, which, btw, is NOT switched.

·
Registered
7,596 Posts
I am planning on installing a rear view camera in my Exige and had read the various posts. But I was curious if anyone local has done it or had it done. My hope was catching someone at one of the get togethers so I could see the install first hand in order to get a better idea on how to install.
Where is 'local?' You're in the Mid Atlantic region which is pretty big.

I put a wireless in my Exige (I'm in Anne Arundel County, MD), but I've sold the car and can't show you, but can tell you how I did it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I installed the Pyle 7 inch model. http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f157/rear-view-mirror-question-87719/index2.html

I ran the cables for it through the grommets located above the rear window as you will see in the photos in the following thread I posted awhile back: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f157/chase-cam-back-up-cam-exige-93622/

From there....it was easy to run the cables from the top of the window into the engine bay, drilled a hole right above the area of the existing opening above the license plate and ran the cables through there. I ran both the cables for my rear view cam and cobra keyless entry system via the same route.

I hope that helps. I'm out in Front Royal area if you need help or want to see the install. Hostly, I don't use my cam much. I'm used to just using my side view mirrors.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome.

Those photos and the link helps a ton. I may take you up on the visual inspection offer :) Any chance to drive and find other owners I can pester with my new guy questions is a big help.

With your Pyle did you just clip it to the existing rear view mirror or did you mount it there with something else?

·
Registered
82 Posts
do you just pull the grommet off the hole and then push it back in? or are they actually sealed on there

1 - 10 of 10 Posts