The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anyone had laid eyes on the car or knows the car. Seems expensive for such a high mileage car ... but it does seem to have good options

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
This brings back memories.

My brother calls and says "You know they have an Elise at the Saturn dealer by my house." 24hrs later, I had an Elise at my house.

Just saying.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
I haven't but in April 2013, when I was trying to trade in my fully loaded n/a 2011 Evora with 13,000 miles, most Lotus dealers where trying to give me $45 to $47k. So, I figure the dealer provably got that car somewhere around there....maybe less due to the extra mileage.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Also, you're aware of the Evora upgrades, right. This is the first year in the U.S. and wouldn't have the updated shifter cable the late model 2011's and 2012 onwards have...but you can do the upgrade afterwards.

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
It may have all those upgrades and if the OE parts were operating properly the upgrades are nominal. A handful of cars were essentally mal adjusted from the factory.
99% of a 2011+ are same as a 2010. Just sayin...if price is right buy it. I'll bet they;ll take 45k in a heartbeat esp in February.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think even 45k is too much. Just three weeks ago the 2011 canyon red at the Altanta dealer with 8k miles and loaded sold for 43k ... mind you it had a buy back on the title.

To me, that is a 40k car ... if it is clean, no accidents, and it has maintenance records. Remember ... a new clutch will be 8K alone ...

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
few comments...

the 2012 cables make a massive difference in the shift feel, even from a properly adjusted 2010 set...trust me.

there is no way you can compare what a branded title car sells for compared to a clean title..no way. At a minimum they're worth several thousand less for a variety of reasons.

a new clutch is not 8000. It is between 30-32 hours at whatever labor rate you get charged, and then around 1000+ for NA parts, more for S parts. Again, trust me. It is still expensive, but you're several thousand off.

Second, that isn't a 40k car. I'd argue mid 40s selling price is fair on that car. These cars sell for what the market will bear and that tends to still bottom out around 44-47k for less desirable colors and 50ish for more desirable colors.

That is a fully loaded and nicely color-optioned 2010 car. Pay for it what you want, and I'm not saying it wouldn't be awesome if you were able to get the car so low, but don't expect 40k. You need to be realistic but optimistic. Everyone always comments how long they sit on lots-this is very true, but there is also a very very narrow market for them. So waiting for a buyer who wants that particular car in that particular color can take a long time, but that doesn't make it a "cheap" car, nor does the 2010 fact make it any less of a car. As BRG stated for the most part the cars are wholly similar across the model years, with incremental improvements.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
also some other things. 29k is not high mileage. These aren't Ferraris, not sure why that perception is there (for many)? There are elises and exiges over 100k, many many are over 50k nowadays, there are plenty of Evoras over 30k and higher, and in Europe cracking 100k now. They run well, forever. Even the clutch. I had my clutch replaced due to a defect, but the clutch surface itself had loads and loads and loads of life left...we're talking 100k plus at the rate I was going. And I DRIVE the car. Don't abuse it. 20k miles currently, has seen plenty of stop and go and aggressive driving.

Also, you are approaching your pricing completely wrong IMHO-factoring an "8k clutch job" into what the car sells for is totally incorrect--that is not the dealer nor the market's problem. That is your problem to factor in when budgeting for the car on a personal level-I'm not trying to rag out on you but this is just in general for owners of these and the Elise Exige platform cars, having owned both. You see it often, people buy the car expecting not to have to pay more for maintenance and parts...these aren't really cheap cars to maintain. It is the reality. In general they are cheap, but things can get expensiv quick (you rightfully point out a clutch if it does need one). That should be on your mind, but don't expect it to effect the price.

If it were something to be factored into the price, you could argue a Ferrari 355 F1 should sell for 10k less because it needs a valve job every 3 years and a new clutch every 10k
miles..

again just to be clear---not ganging up on you at all just trying to put thoughts out there for public consumption, having at this point seen plenty of owners float in and out of both the Evora and Elise community

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
invictusmaneo ... you are not going to hurt my feelings by telling me what you think ... I respect everyones opinions. I think you are wrong ... but it does not make your opinion any less valuable.

Example 1 ... I would never pay 45k for an Evora that needs a clutch ... and I do think that lowers the sale value of the car if it is needed.

Example 2 ... I agree that these Toyota engines can last forever ... but milage is a depreciating factor. Again, if can buy a 2010 with less than 10k miles for 46-47, why would I pay 45k for a car with 32k miles.

As for maintenance ... I have owned many many Ferraris ... so trust me, I know what maintenance expense can be. The Testarossa comes to mind ... 12.5K for a tune up, my 348 was 5K, my 360 was 7k, etc..... The Evora is not expensive ... so we agree here.

I also agree that the Evora's seem to have bottomed around 40-42k. I had a chance to buy a 2010 with 4k miles for 42k a couple of months back ... and chose not to ... my mistake.

In the end ... I still think this car is a 40-44k car.

BTW ... I have been a member since 2006 ... I know the brand ... and love the cars. Hell I spent over 20k adding a turbo to my Elise.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Yes, don't buy a car that needs a new clutch...but why I are you assuming a 30k mile car is even close to needing a new clutch?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I'll add my 2 pesos. I'm astonished at how many people obsess over the clutch on these cars when in fact, no one, and I mean now one can really answer the question of whether a car needs it or not without cracking the tranny open and checking it. I challenge anyone to come out and say they saw their clutch failure coming and sure enough it failed. Everyone that has had a failure, basically didn't see it coming.

If anyone came to me and said, well I heard these all need clutches, so I want 6-8k off to cover, I'd probably start chuckling a bit.

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
So we all agree clutch is a NON issue in the purchase. Mileage is a minimal factor. If a 5-15K mileage car sells for 45-48K, 45K is a GOOD price for this vehicle. This is no different than buying a creampuff Jag with lass than 20K miles or one with a few more miles!
Based on my track duty with an unadulterated 2010, I can honestly say I've never missed a gear yet and, therefore, to me, the better feel is just that , a feel. Functionally a 2010 shifter if properly adjusted works flawlessly. I dare say better than it ever did on my Elise. GO BUY IT!!!

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Below $44K, I don't think the dealer isn't going to make any money on the car. So, it's not going to sell for $40K.

But, if they were willing to sell for that low, I'd have to really wonder why.

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
Even with 32k miles on mine, I would not take less than 65 for it with all that I have done to it :) Good thing no one has offered that to me and made me even think about it.

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
Even with 32k miles on mine, I would not take less than 65 for it with all that I have done to it :) Good thing no one has offered that to me and made me even think about it.
65K??? Think you've got yourself a keeper Plack. The next buyer doesn't care how much YOU put into the car as long as it hasn't been blatantly damaged or in accidents/abuse.

On topic/. 45K would be a great deal on an in demand color. Mileage is a no issue. If I was in market for a red used one, this would already be gone esp if inspection/Carfax should no history of concern.

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
65K??? Think you've got yourself a keeper Plack. The next buyer doesn't care how much YOU put inmto the car as long as it hasn't been blatantly damaged or in accidents/abuse.

On topic/. 45K would be a great deal on an in demand color. Mileage is a no issue. If I was in market for a red used one, this would already be gone esp if inspection/Carfax should no history of concern.
Exactly - I don't plan on selling it :)

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
FYI ... I was able to get 43k accepted! Unfortunately, I already purchased another car. If anyone is interested call EMILY and make her the offer asap!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts