The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This one looks great in pictures. It's very close to my house, so if someone wants me to check it out, I would be happy to do it. I owned a 91 Jim Clark Esprit SE, so this one is mechnically identical, and the same BRG.

Lotus : Esprit Lotus : Esprit | eBay

Don't see many 91's for sale like 89's and 90's.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I hardly ever the 90 model for sale. It always seems like there were more 89 and 91 models.

that's good looking BRG esprit though

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update: I called to ask to look at the car today, and they said it's out for turbo service, so I can't look at it.

Here's the rub: I had asked a couple of weeks ago when I called out of curiosity about the car, and the same rep, Jake, said the same thing. So I asked if it's ever going to be fixed and returned, and he said probably not until someone buys it.

I told him I would need to see the car before I could buy it so can we go and look at it at the shop and he said no because of liability at the 3rd party "performance shop." We all know that's b.s. because how hard is it push it out into the parking lot to show a prospective buyer???

He said it takes $16.5K to buy it and you can't see it before you buy. What a joke!

If anyone wants to pursue the car further and you can talk sense into them, I would be happy to go and check it out for you.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I also called on this car before I got my '95. It's having the turbo worked on, plus it's a re-paint. I'd stay away from it if I were you.

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Before buying my 95, I also emailed several times about that green one. I never got a reply to any of the messages with detailed questions about the car. The car does look nice in pictures, and if the paint was done well its not a bad price. The question of course is why the paint was done.

This dealer has at least two different nuisance fees to add to their price, so watch that if you are making a deal.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Update: I called to ask to look at the car today, and they said it's out for turbo service, so I can't look at it.

Here's the rub: I had asked a couple of weeks ago when I called out of curiosity about the car, and the same rep, Jake, said the same thing. So I asked if it's ever going to be fixed and returned, and he said probably not until someone buys it.

I told him I would need to see the car before I could buy it so can we go and look at it at the shop and he said no because of liability at the 3rd party "performance shop." We all know that's b.s. because how hard is it push it out into the parking lot to show a prospective buyer???

He said it takes $16.5K to buy it and you can't see it before you buy. What a joke!

If anyone wants to pursue the car further and you can talk sense into them, I would be happy to go and check it out for you.
I got wierd answers like this on a couple esprits I looked/called about, too. I got 2 of the "I'm selling it for a friend, but I don't have the title here" repsonses. :no: No Thanks.

·
'94 S4
238 Posts
This car's been on eBay since at least April. I called back then and asked about "passenger side accident" on AutoCheck. Guy couldn't get off the phone fast enough. He did say (like it was a good thing) the car was repainted. Run, guys, run.

·
Registered
859 Posts
This car's been on eBay since at least April. I called back then and asked about "passenger side accident" on AutoCheck. Guy couldn't get off the phone fast enough. He did say (like it was a good thing) the car was repainted. Run, guys, run.

who knows. it might still be a decent car. being a body on frame car, a minor side impact might not be terrible. The problem sounds like the dealer is a sketch!!!!

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The bizarre part to me is how it gets very close to selling on eBay each time. The bidding is already close to the reserve.

If you're willing to bid (gamble) $15K+ on a completely sketchy car and dealer, why wouldn't you just go ahead and pay the extra $1-2K to dive head first into that money pit???

It's already at $14K with 8 days of a 10 day auction remaining.

·
'94 S4
238 Posts
The bizarre part to me is how it gets very close to selling on eBay each time. The bidding is already close to the reserve.

If you're willing to bid (gamble) $15K+ on a completely sketchy car and dealer, why wouldn't you just go ahead and pay the extra $1-2K to dive head first into that money pit???

It's already at $14K with 8 days of a 10 day auction remaining.
In the present auction and the last one, the same two bidders up the bid amounts to near the reserve price but never follow through. There are unscrupulous sellers on eBay who raise the bid price with phantom bidding. Just saying.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Scammers

They're bidding it up themselves - complete scammers in my opinion and anyone with any sense will stay clear of these guys. What could they tell you about this car that you would believe? If you get involved with these sorts of sellers you will end up getting burned one way or another.

:no:

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I emailed a guy that won the bid on this car in a previous auction, sent it for inspection, and backed out of the deal. He left positive feedback on the dealer, but told me to be very careful with this car. When I asked him what the inspection reported, he told me:

"Report found, many cracks and scraches in paint, engine would not start, carpeting missing under drivers side floor mat, radio cover missing, cracks in drivers leather seat and dash woodgrain pealing, forgot tires are miss matched."

1 - 13 of 13 Posts