The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,732 Posts
Ive never understood reserve price. If you have a minimum price, set the starting bid at that.
It's a negotiation tool like any other - if everyone knew your minimum was $25K and a customer was prepared to pay $30K anyway, then you lost $5K by revealing your minimum price.

Downside is that some folks won't bid on reserve auctions for the same reason - they want to know your minimum. That's why eBay offers the choice.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Plus, EBay fees are higher with higher starting prices. The reserve lets you keep the fees lower, but discourages some bidders (like me). That keeps some auctions from ever getting traction.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies guys. I installed a cat-delete pipe that I bought off another Esprit owner, they were originally made at Viking performance I think.

It was a night and day difference in power and the car doesn't seem that much louder which my neighbors appreciated.

Regarding the auction stuff, I set my reserve at 48k, I want to sell the car for a fair price but I don't want to give it away either. If it gets to 48k and not much higher it will suck but I know from seeing what has been listed for sale that I'll still be here a year later trying to get 60k for it before someone actually pays that. I got someone in the middle east interested who wanted to purchase and ship it but I've already listed it on ebay so it will go to the highest bidder.

I was never actively posting on any Esprit forum but I showed up and browsed all the time, I have an M5 and an M3 as well but this car is something else and I'm hoping that after my real estate purchase I can buy another 02+ Esprit perhaps in chrome orange and just sleep in my garage next to it at night. I will die a happy man if I can manage that.

·
Registered
218 Posts
The ebay listing shows the VIN as 10527, but according to Lotus the FE's didn't start until VIN 10543.

pedm5,
What's the build date, if you don't mind my asking?
I'm just curious because I don't think anyone, even Lotus, seems to know how many of these 'FEs' there really are!

More information on the FE's from Lotus:
What's interesting to note here is the last Esprit was 10621, not 10641.
Lotus didn't even get their own history recorded correctly.
The Last Lotus Esprit

Capture.JPG

·
Registered
333 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys. I installed a cat-delete pipe that I bought off another Esprit owner, they were originally made at Viking performance I think.

It was a night and day difference in power and the car doesn't seem that much louder which my neighbors appreciated.

Regarding the auction stuff, I set my reserve at 48k, I want to sell the car for a fair price but I don't want to give it away either. If it gets to 48k and not much higher it will suck but I know from seeing what has been listed for sale that I'll still be here a year later trying to get 60k for it before someone actually pays that. I got someone in the middle east interested who wanted to purchase and ship it but I've already listed it on ebay so it will go to the highest bidder.

I was never actively posting on any Esprit forum but I showed up and browsed all the time, I have an M5 and an M3 as well but this car is something else and I'm hoping that after my real estate purchase I can buy another 02+ Esprit perhaps in chrome orange and just sleep in my garage next to it at
night. I will die a happy man if I can manage that.
How are you eliminating the CEL light without cats or sport cats?

·
Registered
42 Posts
How are you eliminating the CEL light without cats or sport cats?
Good question- I also am curious to find out if you get a check engine light due to gutted cats. I bought and installed the "spacers" for the post cat O2 sensors on my 2002 MY and they helped with the frequency of CEL but did not stop them completely. curious minds want to know.

GLWTS- she sure is a beauty

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey guys,

Build date is april '03. Interesting to know that lotus themselves doesn't know what's going on with their cars, that's kind of ridiculous. Is it possible I have the first final edition? lol

Believe it or not being catless it just doesn't have a CEL. I don't know how or why but it works without throwing a code!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts