The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short. I put a deposit on the Elise a year ago. It was supost to be a replacement for my Boxster in Aug. when the lease was up. Needless to say, when Aug came the Elise wasn't here and I bought another car instead (Dodge Viper).

Dealer called today, said they have an Elise for me to pick up tommorrow. Yellow with Touring pack, starshield, and hardtop. I test drove the Elise and realize it's not going to work for me. It's very hard to get in and out and has very little storage, and I thought the Viper was bad.

If anyone wants it let me know. If I don't take it I will loss the $1500 deposit I left.

I have to know by tommorrow.

Bill

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
1. You didn't tell anyone where the car is.

2. Most states protect you from a non-refundable deposit on goods.

Good luck! If I were you, I would buy the car and sell it before I would take a $1500 hit.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the deposit still refundable after you pick options? I was under the impression you were tied in after the car was built.

If I buy the car then I have to pay tax. This will put me $48k into it. Can I get this back for a car that lists for $44k?

Bill

·
Registered
670 Posts
You still didn't say where the car is.

Steve

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Florida

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
the dealer should give your money back. They will sell that car for 5k over sticker if you pass on it. I would demand that they do, my guess is they will be happy to.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
bill930p said:
Is the deposit still refundable after you pick options? I was under the impression you were tied in after the car was built.
Depends on the dealer you're buying from and, possibly, the state the dealer is located in.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
You are describing the specs on my car. So if you don't want it, kindly demand a refund of your deposit and ask your dealer to ship it to Symbolic in La Jolla.

If my car was not supposed to arrive imminently, I would be happy to take over yours and enjoy a nice long roadtrip back to California.

I don't think that you could go wrong with a Viper. Good luck in finding a taker for your Elise.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Dealer will 'most likely' not give a refund
at this point in time. You, the original
customer, can therefore either buy it and
re-sell it on your own, or pass on it, lose
your deposit , and thereby allow the dealer to make out on two ends. He, my
friend is in the driver's seat and you are
behind the '8' ball.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I wonder what percentage of Elise 'buyers' either didn't want the car before they bought it (EBayers), or don't want the car after they bought it (didn't know what they were buying in the first place) ...

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Been amazed at the number of people who plunk down this much money for a car and decide in a hundred or so miles it's not for them. I think if I was that marginal on getting it or not, I'd probably have held off buying. Unless a lot of these guys think theyll actually make a profit, but once you factor in sales tax etc. best they most likely get is break even.

Chris

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
Been amazed at the number of people who plunk down this much money for a car and decide in a hundred or so miles it's not for them. I think if I was that marginal on getting it or not, I'd probably have held off buying. Unless a lot of these guys think theyll actually make a profit, but once you factor in sales tax etc. best they most likely get is break even.

Chris
I think it depends on one's disposable income factor

mine is low :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Let me know if the offer is still open...

And to the rest of you guys reading the thread, I've been lurking here for around a year now... so hello everybody. :)

·
Registered
788 Posts
vistatical said:
Let me know if the offer is still open...

And to the rest of you guys reading the thread, I've been lurking here for around a year now... so hello everybody. :)
:no: Hey you have to wear the Lotus hair shirt and suffer the misery of price hikes whilst waiting for months on end for your ship to come in before poaching an Elise ... jk welcome :clap:

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Chris, I can understand the feeling after 100 miles. I got in mine and it fit like a glove from minute one. But I have gotten in cars (a Testarosa once) where it didn't feel right-I was never comfortable and just wanted out. I can easily imagine some folks like this on our Elise.

How disappointing it must be to wait years, then realize the car isn't for you. That would suck a lot.:(

1 - 18 of 18 Posts