The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Q

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I got bashed for liking a front-wheel drive sports car... I kinda like the new GTI... gets good reviews too.

Throw in

I've owned 3 VWs in the past (Scirocco 16V and two VR6 Passats)

Might be nice as a daily driver (considering the gas situation).

Would love to hear some first hand reports.

Thx,

Q

·
Registered
787 Posts
Got a 20th Anniversary. Cold air intake, changed the engine mount dog bone to a heavier one, and of course a GIAC chip. Pulls over 200 HP at the wheel. Will dust a R32 easily. The R32's are heavier with the AWD. Very torquey with the 1.8T with the setup we have.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Just picked up a very slightly used 2007 GTI for my wife. It's the only fwd car that I've really enjoyed. Very quick, very stable, fun on twisty roads, practical for the family (we have the four door). We have the manual gearbox and very few options, which is exactly what we wanted. Beats the heck out of the dying honda she was driving.

It feels like a much more expensive car when you're driving it. Everything is well laid out and usable.

I'd definitely recommend one for a practical yet fun car.

Cade

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I still have a VR6 Jetta GLX that I keep at another house. I don't get to drive it that much but it is a great car. I always loved the GLI/GTI/GLX Volkswagens. My first car was a Jetta GLI (A GTI with a trunk!)

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
My wife bought a MKV (mark five) GTI with the DSG when they first came out in '06. Lately she had been wanting a four door and she wanted to trade it in on a new one exactly the same but in a four-door and in white this time. I thought it was a silly move so we looked at basically everything else out there and in the end it just made the most sense to do just that. I love the interior and have always been solidly impressed with the whole package. It is an amazing value for the money, and I was surprised a couple nights ago when I filled it up for the first time in ages and she had done a fraction over 30mpg on that tank.

There's a number of threads on here discussing them with lots of good info that you should check out.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Not sure how much of a rush you're in - but the new scirocco is back in europe in Sept. No word on whether it will be available in the US - but I think it looks like a slightly sportier golf...

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
They aren't planning on bringing the Scirocco here because of the weak dollar, but even over there it only has the small engines in it for some reason. A GTI-style version would be cool, though you'd give up some utility.

Q

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know... I'd rather have the Scirocco. Unfortunately... no plans for North America.

I even wrote to VW USA... but got the... "Too bad, so sad, reply".

Q

·
Registered
46 Posts
Got a white '08 4 dr GTI with DSG a couple of months ago for my DD. I love it. I needed a car with reasonable gas mileage, could fit 2 car seats in the back and would be moderately fun to drive. The GTI had by far the roomiest back seat (Mazdaspeed 3, MINI, Civic Si). I intentionally waited a few years after the Mk V came out so they could work out the typical VW/Audi glitches (ask me how I know) and I've been quite please with my decision.

The Civic Si was a hoot to drive but felt cheaper and there are a lot more Honda chop shops around these parts so that was a deterrent for me.

Coming from an STi prior to this, the car is WAY more comfortable, has a much more substantial feel and the gas mileage is much better (22-24 mpg in the city).

My only complaint is that in stop-and-go traffic, which is stop-sign-and-go traffic with my commute, it is sometimes difficult to manage a smooth start from a stop with a modicum of urgency. Due to the turbo lag, a slow start and a really fast start from a stop are both easy. A moderate start, not always so.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I've never understood why Volkswagen doesn't make a car to compete with the WRX-STI and EVO. The R32 is nice, but just doesn't have the awesome power and handling of the WRX & EVO.

All they'd have to do is drop a 300hp plant into the GTI, lock up the suspension and they'd probably sell 10 times as many GTIs as they currently do. The performance of the GTI (even the R32) just hasn't kept up with the market.

"(In the R32)Volkswagen's acclaimed DSG® transmission allows for seamless gear changes and accelerates from 0-60 in approximately 6.4 seconds."

6.4 seconds?! Some minivans aren't that slow! Road & Track tested my old VR6 Jetta with a 0-60 time of 6.9 secs. VW needs to up the ante with the R32.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
They aren't planning on bringing the Scirocco here because of the weak dollar, but even over there it only has the small engines in it for some reason. A GTI-style version would be cool, though you'd give up some utility.

its called a C30 :)

and they aint moving so fast of dealer lots either

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
I have a 2007 GTI I just picked up. I like it a lot. DSG is perfect for commuting and occasional fun. It's very comfortable, nicely appointed, gets terrific gas mileage, and is fun to drive. The steering is good for a car like this. It's no Lotus, the steering is still spongy at low speeds and there's plenty of body roll, but it's still very fun for what it is: a very practical car.

I got 31.8MPG this morning. That's on a 22 mile commute through mostly backroads travelling between 40MPH-60MPH.

Even with a combo of city, highway, and romping on it, I still get around 27MPG average.

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
I've never understood why Volkswagen doesn't make a car to compete with the WRX-STI and EVO. The R32 is nice, but just doesn't have the awesome power and handling of the WRX & EVO.

All they'd have to do is drop a 300hp plant into the GTI, lock up the suspension and they'd probably sell 10 times as many GTIs as they currently do. The performance of the GTI (even the R32) just hasn't kept up with the market.

"(In the R32)Volkswagen's acclaimed DSG® transmission allows for seamless gear changes and accelerates from 0-60 in approximately 6.4 seconds."

6.4 seconds?! Some minivans aren't that slow! Road & Track tested my old VR6 Jetta with a 0-60 time of 6.9 secs. VW needs to up the ante with the R32.

That sucks. The GTI does 0-60 in 6.1-6.2.

I'd still have the GTI over the R32. Cheaper, much better gas mileage, no power-sapping AWD, lighter and no stupid blue brakes.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I am surprised at how many GTI owners are on here! I have a 6-speed 08 GTI as my a grocery getter. I do not like fwd either but was willing to overlook it as the car meets all my needs, and I have the Elise. I have been averaging 30mph. No problems as it is new, but the fit and finish on the car are great, it handles well, has torque (great for real world daily driving), lots of room, and I love the interior. It has a clean exterior look as well. I affectionately call it my lunch box.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I looked at the GTI as DD for my wife a few weeks ago. The rake of the rear seat was just too straight and with the kids car seats in it seemed that they would be leaning forward all the time.

So just picked up a G35xS for her. Interior/exterior much better than the 335i. Not as nice an engine/suspension as the 335i with sport, but for her the ride is much better as it's a DD and a lot nicer features. She is really impressed with the car over her earlier 330i.

I may still consider the GTI 4door as a DD if I could figure out how to lean the rear seats more, otherwise going to pick up a M3 4 door in a few weeks.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I've got a 2008 Candy white with leather seats and Votex skirts (to get rid of the black moldings), as a winter car. The car is heavy but the chassis is stiff enough to provide a good response. The car understeers and is very predictable. Interior is very well done and the ride is surprisingly quiet. I do not like DSG but almost everyone here does. It's up to you. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
I had a 2007 GTI (fully loaded w/ manual) for about 15 months. It was a fantastic car for what it was. Very solid chassis, predictable understeer and very quick with a few mods. Eventually, I just got tired of FWD. There's so much torque in the 2.0T that I would just end up spinning my tires instead of getting a good launch. Plus, I do prefer oversteer in corners.

I traded in the GTI for a 2008 R32. I've had the R for two months now. The feel of the car is very much like the GTI. Stock, it has a tendency for slight understeer, but it grips SOOO much better than the GTI did. I rail corners in this car like I never could in the GTI. The slight understeer can be fixed with a RSB or a Haldex II upgrade. This really makes the car go where you point it.

The stock R32 is definitely underpowered. I've got a new intake and chip on mine so it feels a bit better. I'm waiting for exhaust options to become available and I'm also seriously considering a nitrous kit. There are very good and safe kits available for the R, now. Here's a good 1/4 mile run of a nitrous R32 vs. Stage 2 GTI. YouTube - MKV R32 vs GTI

But straight line speed isn't why you buy an R. Much like a Lotus (except much, much heavier), you buy an R because you love corners. The V6 engine mated with AWD and DSG is simply fantastic. Decent grunt with massive grip and wicked fast gear changes make driving on a track very fun. The stock R32 can lap the Nurburgring in about the same time as a stock Elise or Exige.

Speaking of straight line speed, the R32 routinely tests at around 5.5 secs 0-60 with Launch Control (Car & Driver, etc.). VW is notorious for underrating their cars so that they don't compete with Audi. And, FYI, the VR6 engine takes a while to break in. Full performance can't be expected until 10,000+ miles on the odometer.

Either way you go, the GTI and R32 are both very good cars. Give them a test drive and run the numbers with the dealer. The R32 has (had) very deep discounts right now. I picked mine up for $3000 under *invoice* which makes it a screaming deal.

And FWIW, I didn't like DSG at first, either. It took me a few weeks to really get into it. Once you know how it should be driven in Manual mode, you'll understand why people love it. I do miss my clutch pedal sometimes, though. Sometimes... ;)

- Jeremy -

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
I see many of your points but you're talking to a group where the majority owns a Lotus for all of their go-fast needs. If drag racing were a priority there are certainly far better cars than a VW R32 or a GTI for that matter. As far as a daily driver/grocery getter, I think the GTI is plenty and the R32 becomes silly, especially given the cost of fuel right now.

I had a 2007 GTI (fully loaded w/ manual) for about 15 months. It was a fantastic car for what it was. Very solid chassis, predictable understeer and very quick with a few mods. Eventually, I just got tired of FWD. There's so much torque in the 2.0T that I would just end up spinning my tires instead of getting a good launch. Plus, I do prefer oversteer in corners.

I traded in the GTI for a 2008 R32. I've had the R for two months now. The feel of the car is very much like the GTI. Stock, it has a tendency for slight understeer, but it grips SOOO much better than the GTI did. I rail corners in this car like I never could in the GTI. The slight understeer can be fixed with a RSB or a Haldex II upgrade. This really makes the car go where you point it.

The stock R32 is definitely underpowered. I've got a new intake and chip on mine so it feels a bit better. I'm waiting for exhaust options to become available and I'm also seriously considering a nitrous kit. There are very good and safe kits available for the R, now. Here's a good 1/4 mile run of a nitrous R32 vs. Stage 2 GTI. YouTube - MKV R32 vs GTI

But straight line speed isn't why you buy an R. Much like a Lotus (except much, much heavier), you buy an R because you love corners. The V6 engine mated with AWD and DSG is simply fantastic. Decent grunt with massive grip and wicked fast gear changes make driving on a track very fun. The stock R32 can lap the Nurburgring in about the same time as a stock Elise or Exige.

Speaking of straight line speed, the R32 routinely tests at around 5.5 secs 0-60 with Launch Control (Car & Driver, etc.). VW is notorious for underrating their cars so that they don't compete with Audi. And, FYI, the VR6 engine takes a while to break in. Full performance can't be expected until 10,000+ miles on the odometer.

Either way you go, the GTI and R32 are both very good cars. Give them a test drive and run the numbers with the dealer. The R32 has (had) very deep discounts right now. I picked mine up for $3000 under *invoice* which makes it a screaming deal.

And FWIW, I didn't like DSG at first, either. It took me a few weeks to really get into it. Once you know how it should be driven in Manual mode, you'll understand why people love it. I do miss my clutch pedal sometimes, though. Sometimes... ;)

- Jeremy -

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
I have to agree. I just don't see any rational justification for buying an R32 over a GTI unless you simply want it. The GTI's are underrated according to every dyno run I've seen so it doesn't make much more power, is heavier, gets worse mileage, costs a lot more, and in my opinion isn't as good looking. I understand the appeal of the hottest iteration of a given care - I own a new Evo and a new STI - but both of the times we were buying a new GTI the R32 just didn't interest me. It's not that it's a bad car, just that the GTI is so good at what it is.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts