The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I,ve seen several posts on painting covers, but not seen a photo of one in bordeaux red pearl. Anyone got pics?

There is a nearby paint store (Tower Paint) that will custom mix spray cans so the color match itself should not be difficult. I am wondering if, after I prep and possibly apply an adhesion promoter, I should lay down a coat of silver or some other base color first. Ideas?

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
Those multiple step pearly sprays do seem harder to get correct. Madden did a three color overlay paint job for his CO http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f92/winter-boredom-painted-covers-68324/. You could talk to the people at tower paint about the best combos to match it. They may have an idea of something to get it right.

If you aren't using a plastic adhesive paint like Krylon, you really do need to spray a promoter first.

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those multiple step pearly sprays do seem harder to get correct. Madden did a three color overlay paint job for his CO http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f92/winter-boredom-painted-covers-68324/. You could talk to the people at tower paint about the best combos to match it. They may have an idea of something to get it right.

If you aren't using a plastic adhesive paint like Krylon, you really do need to spray a promoter first.
Actually, Madden's covers are exactly what I have in mind here. Like you suggest, my only concern is getting a custom mixed paint that will adhere like Fusion. I'll report back on my visit with Tower Paint. I know that many people really like their custom service, and I'm lucky to have a local place where I can walk in the door...won't be till next week though.

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update:

I stopped at Tower Paint in Oshkosh today and they have the actual Lotus paint codes (in my case, B95) on file in their computer. I was assured that the match would be pretty much exact.

They recommend using an adhesion promoter (in-stock), base color, and then clear coat. The nice thing is that they will put the professional grade paint into a rattle can for projects like this. I was told that I should use the paint within a couple of weeks of purchase because the formula does not keep well in the can for long periods.

Next stupid question...do I paint both sides of the covers?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts