The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I was thinking about passing on the lotus... just one of those weak moments, not a reality... but I am starting to regret getting all of the options.. my car is now 10k more expensive then a base model, which, in the long run, depreshiate faster then the other cars...

Anyone feel like I do and wish they would have not gotten a fully loaded car?

Adam p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,577 Posts
I haven't ordered yet (any day now), but I've pretty much settled on metallic paint, touring, and sport packages. With tax, title, and destination this will come to right at $48,000. That's going to make the Elise a strain, but I'm doing my best to save a healthy down payment.
Every once in awhile I consider dropping an option to save cost. But I know that I want the sport package. And I want the touring package. And I would prefer one of the non-standard colors... You get the idea. What it comes down to is that I'd rather spend the money now than regret getting anything other than exactly what I want.

~Paul
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,721 Posts
I'm with paul... Hard top is a requirement (esp with my dec-feb estimated delivery), spors pack I would do myself if I didn't get it from lotus, so I'd rather have it done right the first time, and metalic paint isn't enough extra to sway me from my 1st or 2nd color choices. I am doing without the touring pack tho... nothing in there seems exciting enough pay the extra money or weight. And besides, I still like the idea of spending $45k on a car and having window cranks. :)

Adam: was there another car in your thoughts for your weak moment? I drove a Z4 last weekend as part of my "due dilligence" in anticipation of being able to test out a fed elise this week or next. Fell a ways short of the M-raodster I drove the weekend before that, but for a while the thought of a comfy/well sorted car, a good dealer/service network, and not to mention a car that a date could wear a skirt in was giving me second thoughts.

Then I decided I'd better drive the lotus while I can before I regret not having done it when I had the chance later.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,154 Posts
I ordered the hard top plus touring package. Saffron yellow, so no extra charge for paint, no LSS. I probably will pass on the chip protection, unless seeing the demo convinces me that it will be invisible and effective.

I plan to keep the car 10 years or more, so a few thousand extra up front is not going to matter to me in the long run.

However, if money is tight and you don't plan to hang onto the car, you should consider sticking to the base car, since none of the add-ons seem critical to enjoying the Elise experience.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,244 Posts
I'll take all the Lotus Elise **** they've got (if it doesn't weigh too much LOL) - I'll even take the special gimballed martini glass holder mounted on the dash. (I've considered drilling into the top of the chassis side rails inside the cars with a hole saw to act as cup holders - that wide space looks ideal to me - can probably put three on each side of different diameters and save weight too LOL) The only factory option I really don't want is LSS - don't need stiffer ride if I'm not going to track it (maybe once or twice). If they come out with Lotus yellow fuzzy dice and dyed racoon tails as factory installs I'll probably get them too. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
guys,

I am strickly looking at this from a financial point of view.. I know the sports package and touring pack will be a great investment for driving the car, I just cringe when I think about the depreshiation of cars in general....

adam p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,802 Posts
Adam,
If you're worried about depreciation, just put in a CD or some such :D

You work for a living (assume your not a trust fund baby or you wouldn't care) if the car's something you really want, to hell with depreciation! Just remember you can drive a CD!;)

Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
758 Posts
I've noticed this trend suddenly appear. People don't seem to buy things to enjoy them, but to sell them. I guess I'm a lot wierder than I orriginally thought ..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
970 Posts
Im getting everything with no regrets...as others have said, once you actually pay for it and drive it home, the extra amt paid will not be very noticeable whether youre making payments or not.

My biggest concern is trivial...my heart says Mag. blue with blue leather but my practical side says get Ardent/blk combo for better resale later...I think the blue/blue combo might be abit too much for alot of people(kinda too esoteric)...Im thinkin resale cause I can see myself in the Exige if it ever comes to US although the rear wing is loaded with too much carbohydrates(ie-rice) for me although I fully understand there is real purpose to it and not just for looks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,744 Posts
In general the best way to get great resale is not to take your hard earned cash and dump it into a car; because virtually all car depreciate. If you're looking to make money, buy stocks or real-estate.

I have absolutely no regrets about any of the options that I have ordered. I would really be more concerned about having a car for several years that did not have the options that I really wanted.
 
Q

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Who's getting the hard top?

I'm starting to think that I probably won't use it much and I'd rather save the $$$$

#23 at Matheny, Jax
 

·
Forum Founder
Joined
·
29,083 Posts
It is a good point. I normally don't pay that much for cars and I normally pay cash for them. This was going to be way beyond my normal $30k limit of pain threshhold. :) But it was not too bad, $38,500 I could handle. Then it became "under $40k" or $39,985.00. OKay. But add destination. Of course.. forgot about that. And then it grew more... with taxes and fees, I am looking near $48,000. That is not too far from $50k. Yikes. Maybe not a big deal to many here... but to me it is.

BUT... the idea of potential regret bothers me. Even more so since I am spending so much. It would be bad to spend over $40k and then not be happy about something. It is why I got the Touring Pack, though I was not sure I wanted it. I didn't want to cheap out and decide later I did want it, and with +12 pounds, I was not worried about the downside. It was really the money.

With the hardtop, in spite of what we are told, I can always get one later and have it painted. Or go aftermarket. So no worries.

LSS, no worries because I knew I wanted it.

Worries- 3M film. Another $1k is just killing me, so I will not do it. But I wish I could.

Color. This is not just money, but it does play a role. I like Saffron Yellow (my choice) but I will always wonder if I should have gone with Chrome Orange or maybe Nightfall Blue. I don't know if I will ever be certain of this decision, but I think when the car is here, I will quit thinking about it. I hope.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,411 Posts
Randy Chase said:

Worries- 3M film. Another $1k is just killing me, so I will not do it. But I wish I could.
I was reluctant as well but I figured I would worry even more driving the car and hearing things ping off it then I would about earning the money to pay for the 3m. Now, when I get the car I know it was protected from day one and done right.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Randy Chase said:
It is a good point. I normally don't pay that much for cars and I normally pay cash for them. This was going to be way beyond my normal $30k limit of pain threshhold. :) But it was not too bad, $38,500 I could handle. Then it became "under $40k" or $39,985.00. OKay. But add destination. Of course.. forgot about that. And then it grew more... with taxes and fees, I am looking near $48,000. That is not too far from $50k. Yikes. Maybe not a big deal to many here... but to me it is.

BUT... the idea of potential regret bothers me. Even more so since I am spending so much. It would be bad to spend over $40k and then not be happy about something. It is why I got the Touring Pack, though I was not sure I wanted it. I didn't want to cheap out and decide later I did want it, and with +12 pounds, I was not worried about the downside. It was really the money.

With the hardtop, in spite of what we are told, I can always get one later and have it painted. Or go aftermarket. So no worries.

LSS, no worries because I knew I wanted it.

Worries- 3M film. Another $1k is just killing me, so I will not do it. But I wish I could.

Color. This is not just money, but it does play a role. I like Saffron Yellow (my choice) but I will always wonder if I should have gone with Chrome Orange or maybe Nightfall Blue. I don't know if I will ever be certain of this decision, but I think when the car is here, I will quit thinking about it. I hope.

Its funny, I agree with you 100%, except I am going to get the 3m to protect my investment... I cant afford the elise at 50k, but I could when all I wanted was a base + lss, then came CO, and other options... now I am like you and sitting at 49k, 10k over msrp for a base...

Adam p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Gromit said:
I've noticed this trend suddenly appear. People don't seem to buy things to enjoy them, but to sell them. I guess I'm a lot wierder than I orriginally thought ..
What I have learned in my past is this, if I dont protect my cash, someone else will..... meaning, I am a passionate person about cars.. I have owned some of the fastest bmw's in texas... including a blown mcoupe and an e30 m3 race car which I hand built, only to sell for the mcoupe a few years later.. I LOVE cars.. but with all of this money on the line for a car I havent driven, is starting to get to me.. hopefully tomorrow Gonzaba autoplex will have there demo for me to drive... you still have to think about the future, resale and other things.. purchasing a car for only enjoyment and not considering the financial side of things in not smart in my opinion... thats just me..

I actually REALLY miss my recently sold STi... what a car... I hope the elise can make me smile like that car did...

adam p
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top