The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just curious with the Lotus being so low to the ground, if people have seen or heard of the Lotus flipping/rolling in an accident...

With the recent news of the Mini that rolled and crashed at Willow Springs, I was wondering if it is less likely that a Lotus would roll on the track in a similar situation...

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
There are Lotus cars that have rolled, not my story so I wont get into too much, but it can happen even on street and without "track" speeds if other conditions are right.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
The person who bought mink's LB elise (sorry i forget his name) rolled it at lower speeds the first time he went out driving, was uninjured. He posted a thread about it here so I don't think he minds revealing the info

Didn't someone up in NY roll thier CO exige? also lower speed/uninjured i think

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
There is a member on here that flipped their elise..

·
Registered
85 Posts
the person who bought mink's LB elise (sorry i forget his name) rolled it at lower speeds the first time he went out driving, was uninjured

didnt imolas or someone up in NY roll thier CO exige? also lower speed/uninjured i think
That was me. My ego is still bruised. Rolled 3.5 times but the roll was caused by the angle that I hit a ditch and not the speed. Who would have thought a rear wheel drive car with no limited slip or traction control would not react in a slide like my AWD S60R... go figure. Learned an expensive lesson that day but luckly I kept all my skin.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
With the recent news of the Mini that rolled and crashed at Willow Springs, I was wondering if it is less likely that a Lotus would roll on the track in a similar situation...
I'm fairly certain that any Lotus has a lower center of gravity than a Mini,
so it would be far less likely to flip than one.

I remember as a kid hearing how "you can't flip a Lotus"
But in certain situations, no car is un-flip-able.

tho I imagine it would take an unusual/unfortunate situation to flip an Elise.
particularly if the driving surface (or areas outside the driving surface) isn't flat pavement.

·
Premium Member
4,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm fairly certain that any Lotus has a lower center of gravity than a Mini,
so it would be far less likely to flip than one.

I remember as a kid hearing how "you can't flip a Lotus"
But in certain situations, no car is un-flip-able.

tho I imagine it would take an unusual/unfortunate situation to flip an Elise.
particularly if the driving surface (or areas outside the driving surface) isn't flat pavement.
That's what I was thinking...much harder to flip, but as Reno mentioned, he hit a ditch so the driving surface was obviously angled...

I'm thinking that on a flat pavement, it would be difficult even around a sharp corner to flip it

·
Registered
31 Posts
As others have said, all cars can be flipped. A Lotus is harder to flip than most due to its low center of gravity.

On the track, most flips (Lotus or otherwise) are due to going off the track sideways. The sides of the wheels dig in to the dirt and the car's momentum is enough to carry it over.

On the road, most flips are due to interactions with uneven terrain (ditches, sides of hills/mountains).

It isn't possible to flip the Lotus on tarmac through driver error alone (unlike trucks, classic sports cars, some SUVs) due primarily to the low CG relative to its width.

·
Registered
64 Posts
agreed with what everyone else said, I think pretty much any car would flip in the constions the mini was in. Just make sure that if you go off the track, go off straight and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Almost Flipped!

This video shows a Series 1 Lotus Almost flipping. I think it show just how easy it can flip.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-H_0Ac3q8qk&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-H_0Ac3q8qk&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

·
Registered
936 Posts
This video shows a Series 1 Lotus Almost flipping. I think it show just how easy it can flip.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-H_0Ac3q8qk&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-H_0Ac3q8qk&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
I don't think the video shows that it almost flipped, more like snap oversteer or lift in the turn. I've had a similar event in my elise. He really hit alot harder than I did and looked like he popped up a little but It doesn't look like it wanted to flip.

·
Premium Member
4,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
agreed, it almost turned over due to the wheels hitting the side of the curb....thankfully it didnt

·
Registered
138 Posts
Any car will roll if you trip it on a curb or ditch or something.....even an F1 car. I heard a statement a while back that the most frequently rolled vehicle in the US is a Vette. Not because they are prone to roll but because of the boneheads behind the wheel are more likely to lose control and go sliding off the road sideways.

·
Premium Member
4,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
rotflrotflrotfl

Yes, it seems that Lotus drivers seem to be more mature and safer as a whole (as compared to the Vette drivers)....just an observation

·
Registered
975 Posts
any car can flip given the right circumstances.

not a lotus but still one of my favorite car videos ever:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8Rrinvd5Sk0&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8Rrinvd5Sk0&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I had posted over a year ago a video of an Elise rolling at an Australian Lotus cup race. The video was removed due to copyright purposes, but in summary, the car flew apart into a million pieces while it rolled multiple times. The driver was able to climb out of the car. The car did have a roll bar, though.

·
Premium Member
4,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thus leading to my next question...

how many of you have a roll bar/cage ... especially if you track?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Is the Mini rolling big news? I've driven a few newer Minis and they all felt like they could roll pretty easily if you pushed it hard enough. I never had that sensation in the Elise but I'm sure they can roll under the right circumstances.

rotflrotflrotfl

Yes, it seems that Lotus drivers seem to be more mature and safer as a whole (as compared to the Vette drivers)....just an observation
It's because the golf clubs in the trunk cause a big weight shift when the car gets a little loose :p

1 - 20 of 79 Posts