The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking to just freshen them up, I need to sand off some old brake dust that is caked on pretty bad, I wanted to just spay them after. Anyone recommend a good paint?

·
Wow Such Admin
6,932 Posts
I had mine powder coated. Wasn't too expensive, I think it was like $65 or $70 a wheel. You could also do plastidip, and if you didn't like it, you could just peel it back off.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
I did my wife's wheels, and Rustolem makes a Metal Flake aluminum paint that I REALLY liked. It was literally metal flakes in the paint...at least that is what it looked like. Then a nice clear coat over the top of them with some "bake time" in the sun, and they help up well...until my wife took out a curb. I should point out that I did all four of my wife's 16" wheels for less than $15. The paint was on sale for 2/$6.

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
Like Doge I too had mine powdercoated - I don't think spray paint would hold up or look that great, if you want to go the cheap-o route then I'd look at Plastidip (as mentioned).

·
Registered
393 Posts
I used BBQ flat black with a semi-gloss clear on mine. Been just fine for about three years now.
This year I'm sandblasting and doing something a little more obnoxious.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Yep - if you are gonna spray, just plastidip.

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
Like Doge I too had mine powdercoated - I don't think spray paint would hold up or look that great, if you want to go the cheap-o route then I'd look at Plastidip (as mentioned).
Agree.

For a "freshen-up" Plasti-Dip is at least easily reversible. (IIRC, Plasti-Dip makes a gunmetal color that might look good) For anything permanent go quality/durability with powder coating and infinite color choices.

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
I spray painted my DD winter wheels. It's chipping off, I used the Dupli-color high temp wheel paint, gunmetal grey. Spray paint just doesn't seem durable enough.

I plastidipped (spray can) my windshield wipers on the daily driver, and those have survived 2 winters without a problem. Much more durable...

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just did my winter wheels this week: Plastidipped them matte black and some layers of gold

1 - 10 of 10 Posts