The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've currently placed an order for an exige s 240, but to get it ill have to trade my baby, a corvette z06. this may seem silly, but have any other members done this? Im looking for a trak day car that wont need much in terms of extra set up. unfortunately my vette has come to the point of heavy use and will need a fair amount of work to get her to track worthiness. Regardless, does anyone have input on the driving experiences between the two? Regret on not having 505 horsepower or that wonderful oversteer on every corner? Im excited about the lotus, but Ive never tracked one. I personally dont need to go 160 on straightaways, but sometimes it feels good to let it loose. Ive already made my decision to switch, but unfortunately I do love my vette and have pangs of guilt giving her up. Maybe I should look for a support group or something....:panic:

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
Try this: whenever your mind starts to drift towards regret regarding the corvette, apply the mental brakes (don't let yourself go there) and instead focus on how great it will be to own the Exige (which it will!). Spend your brain-cycles on the positive not the negative. You are getting an exotic, fantastically fast, incredible, awe-inspiring track and road monster - now that's something to look forward to!

Attachments

·
Registered
361 Posts
also in somewhat the same boat, came from a modded 03 cobra. I have to be honest I still think about the cobra a lot, and frequent for sale threads on them as well. I love the elise, but I have to say I equally loved the Sickening whine of my supercharger....though I can name plenty of other things on the cobra i did not love.

·
Registered
2008 Lotus Exige-S 240
1,445 Posts
I came from a 505rwhp Mustang. I really do miss the noise, the brute force HP. I think about it all the time, but obviously if given the choice, I would take (and did take) the Lotus - it is a blast! However, I would not mind if I had a 505rwhp Exige. :p

·
Registered
385 Posts
I use to drive around a 555rwhp 585ftlbs supercharged 96 viper. I MISS TORQUE!! On a track though, the Exige is DAMN FAST going around corners...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cool. Thanks guys, I appreciate the honest responses. One thing I do want to mention is that if I posted something similar on a vette forum I frequent, I would have received responses that would not have been as nice. Im totally psyched about the exige, cant wait to attack the corners more!!! First round of beers will be on me!!!:up:

·
Registered
150 Posts
It's worth it just for the steering:clap:. While the Z06 is no slouch on the track, the Exige is arguably the most involving, pure sports car in existence that doesn't cost half a million dollars. You will notice the mid engine layout in the cars dynamics and realize quickly why world class sports cars follow this layout. In all likelihood, you won't want to change much if anything.

There are quirks with the Lotus - getting in and out, window leaks etc etc but it's such a simple car that most owners do all of their maintenance and mods themselves. There really aren't any serious maintenance issues - RARE reports of cam failures, exploding oil pumps from missed shifts and a few other things but the engine is superb and mated to one of the best chassis in production.

That said, if you compete and really need sick power on the straights there is considerable headroom with the Exige S engine - ECU tunes, vastly better superchargers (TVS will be hitting the shelves soon), better charge coolers, headers, exhausts etc etc - you could easily reach the performance specs of the Z06 if that's your barometer. Again - very easy to work on.

Bottom line, your going to love your Exige the first time you drive it - feeling the texture of the road, feeling the wheel shake as the tires grip around turns and brakes that take some getting used to but are superb.

Your connected to the car and the road - the Lotus won't let you daydream - that's something very few cars can accomplish...

-john.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I came from a 505rwhp Mustang. I really do miss the noise, the brute force HP. I think about it all the time, but obviously if given the choice, I would take (and did take) the Lotus - it is a blast! However, I would not mind if I had a 505rwhp Exige. :p
Good news: You only need about 275rwhp on the Exige to match the acceleration of that Mustang (assuming ~3700lbs). Phil's or VF's sc should do the trick! ;)

It's amazing what lightness AND power can do.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Maybe I'm a strange Exige owner... I came from a 518rwhp 350z. Yes in the straights it felt amazing... but I don't miss that at all.

I literally have ZERO issues with getting on a straight and seeing a 944 waving me pass... then waving again... while my foot is nearly on the cement. I don't regret it at all because I know once I'm around him I'll catch back up to him in a few laps again :D

I never thought that sub 200hp could be so much fun! I'm glad I've never been for a ride in a Exige S at a track event cuz i might get jealous... but for now I'm happy with N/A!

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Actually there's a local guy in Chicago that went Exige S -> C6 Z06.

·
Registered
2008 Lotus Exige-S 240
1,445 Posts
Good news: You only need about 275rwhp on the Exige to match the acceleration of that Mustang (assuming ~3700lbs). Phil's or VF's sc should do the trick! ;)
It's amazing what lightness AND power can do.
The Stang was 3350 with me in it.. That is with a blower, and roll bar added too. Everything else stock.. no fiberglass anything... only parts that lightened it up were the aluminum heads.

Anyway, I understand the point..! We all love how light the Lotus is, and it does not take much HP to get it really moving!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.