The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried this as a replacement/upgrade for their starter?

Priced less than other options and claims to be much stronger...

·
Registered
813 Posts
I dont know V8s but this is the stock V8 starter. The one shown at the web site is quite different. Maybe the starter pictured is not the actual starter they sell you? I plan to go with a light weight hi torque when/if the unit on my 4 cyl gives out.

·
Registered
813 Posts
The one i was looking at is sold by PNM. I think I have seen them else where also. Its aftermarket, they make the same unit for Porsches, I think they are a Toyota thing with a custom head. Folks make different billet heads for them to fit any application. Pretty sure that what is shown in the link above. It looks just like the ones we used to put on the Porsche's but a different head. They weigh less than half. Modern starter tech I think has allowed them to shrink way down.

·
Premium Member
2,671 Posts
The picture is generic. The Lotus V8 starter does not look like that as it would not fit in the space allocated

I think there is but one choice for the V8, but there are several for the 4 cyl for aftermarket starters.

The starter pictured is more appropriate for the 4 cyl

·
Registered
1987 Turbo Esprit HCI
66 Posts
The picture is generic. The Lotus V8 starter does not look like that as it would not fit in the space allocated

I think there is but one choice for the V8, but there are several for the 4 cyl for aftermarket starters.

The starter pictured is more appropriate for the 4 cyl
The one in the picture looks virtually identical to the 4cyl replacement starter I just received from rdent.

·
Registered
1987 Turbo Esprit HCI
66 Posts
S54 did you remove your old starter yet? curious of the weight difference.
The new one is 3848 grams. The Old one is a little over 5000 grams.
My only scale peaks at 5kg. I would guess the lucas starter is 5250 - 5500 grams.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
S54Venture
The new one is 3848 grams. The Old one is a little over 5000 grams.
My only scale peaks at 5kg. I would guess the lucas starter is 5250 - 5500 grams.
Is that starter the same one shown in the original post from Classic Car Performance?

·
Car Adicted
250 Posts
The starter Erik showed was my starter that I just had rebuilt at a local shop. They painted it etc. once it was done, so it will look like a different color from original, but I assure you it is the original V8 starter. It has a Delco Remy part number on it, but I believe is a Mitsubishi starter. I will probably finish up my install of it in the next day or so and let you know how it is compared to how it was.

·
Registered
524 Posts
"British Starters" is a retailer for Gustafson Specialty Products... as is rdEnterprises, JAE, Dave Bean.and others.

List of dealers:

Gustafson converts Nippondenso geared starters to fit a variety of British and other sportscars. He is a Lotus owner, and considers himself one of us.

I've not installed one on an Esprit V8, but I have installed them on several 9XX 4-cylinders from Jensen-Healey to Turbo Esprit, as well as a couple of Europas. The geared starter is more compact than the stock Lucas starter, yet spins the engine over faster while drawing less current. I've been very pleased with mine.

The only downside I can think of is that the threaded stud positive terminal ends up on the bottom, where it's less than convenient to access. It's easier to pre-install the cable to the starter, install the starter on the engine, then connect the far end of the cable to the battery.

The Lucas starter solenoid has two 1/4" spade terminals on it. One to energize the starter, and the other to send power to other circuits during starting. The Gustafson starter doesn't have that second starter, so some minor creativity is required. Not a big deal.

Regards,
Tim Engel

·
Registered
1987 Turbo Esprit HCI
66 Posts
The Lucas starter solenoid has two 1/4" spade terminals on it. One to energize the starter, and the other to send power to other circuits during starting. The Gustafson starter doesn't have that second starter, so some minor creativity is required. Not a big deal.
I did some electrical probing on mine earlier to check about wiring it. It does retain that terminal for the WY wires.
There's a tab with a screw on the opposite side of the starter from the power and start signal,
That terminal sends power while cranking, just like the second spade does on the original.

My plan was going to be to use some ring terminals to connect to that for the two White/Yellow wires to the starter.
I was trying to see if there was a spade connector out there that locks into the starter for the White/Red wire, the plastic surround makes it look like there should be one.

I was debating on making a neat little whip that connects the WY and WR wires to the starter, with a Deutsch connector a few inches back that plugs into the car harness.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,671 Posts
The connector gets used on some Honda and Toyota, and I have never seen it available as a crimp on terminal, only as a pigtail, and that seems like an extra connector in search of failure.

They make 'ring tongues' if you don't want to alter your wiring harness.

·
Car Adicted
250 Posts
Just to give you an update on my starter rebuild I finished 95% of my reassembly after getting the starter rebuilt. I started it briefly and I can say it turned over aggressively. Not that slow cranking that makes you think your battery is dead. I still have to put back in my trunk floor, but once that is done I will start it and see where I am, but so far very happy with the rebuild results.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts