The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just came across an oil additive called Tufoil. Its supposed to be the slickest oil on earth. It is recorded as the worlds slickest substance. Ive read some forums and some people swears by the product, where others tell me not to use it. It has something called PTEE microparticles (i think it is similar to teflon). I was wondering if this is going to clog up my oil lines. The company says that it wont do that, but Im still weary. If anyone has experience using this product or has any advice let me know. In the past, Ive used Lucas oil treatment. This is only my second oil change and I would like to prolong the life of the engine.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Don't do it. Just buy a good synthetic oil, and keep solid particles like PTFE out of your oil. The "world's most efficient lubricant" claim is to PTFE or teflon, not for their oil specifically. Use the money you've saved on more frequent oil changes if you're concerned.

John

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
at the end of the day - oil has two jobs, lubrication, and to suspend containaments. (both mechanical and chemical). no matter how "slick" it is - its best to get thoose containaments out of the system frequenlty. (hence why "milage or age" whichever comes first)

just about all modern lubricants contain synthetic compounds - and typically any decent oil will give you those benfits within its lifecycle. imo there is a lot more to blending an oil than just "slickness". get something that is stable, doesn't foam or gel, etc... that is - any quality over the counter "mobil 1" or equivilant.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
Motor Honey !!!! rotfl

·
Registered
682 Posts
I would not add Teflon particles to my oil, especially without knowing the size of these particles in microns, the mesh size of my oil filter, and what happens when you add polytetrafluoroethane to oil (viscosity changes, intermolec. forces, cohesion, adhesion, vapor pressure, other material properties). Also, I know PTFE (Teflon) degrades at high temperatures, like cookware high, higher than oil. Even though your engine isn't 500F +, I'm betting that Teflon doesn't like engine temperatures all the time. It's only a matter of time before it degrades into things like fluoride ions (loves to react).

If you regularly change your oil every 3000 miles, your engine will be fine. Decreasing the coefficient of friction in the gap between piston and cylinder might not even matter in terms of sheer stress. Sheer stress is PROBABLY controlled by the viscosity of the oil rather than the coefficient of friction. For the record, I am not suggesting you change the viscosity of your oil, either.

Oh, and Dupont, who invented Teflon, claims that "Teflon is not useful as an ingredient in oil additives or oils used for internal combustion engines."

Edit: you said PTEE, not PTFE. I can't think of anything with an E that would produce the same affects as fluorine when replacing hydrogens on a hydrocarbon... Did you mean PTFE?

·
Registered
181 Posts
My Dad used this and thought it was good. I've used previously and can't say one way or the other. I can say their other lubs are amazing at freeing up frozen mechanisms. If I did use again, I would only use about half of what they recommend.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts