The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,037 Posts

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I ordered a set and tried them, but they didn't quite work out for me. The rails do lower the seat a slight bit more in the vertical, but also lean the seat back slightly. This leaning is where most of the height comes from. I found the slightly reclined position to be very comfortable and added a good amount of head room. Unfortunately, inorder to recline the seat, the base has to be a little further forward which took more legroom than I could give. I ended up selling them to another member here (insane) and I believe they have worked out well for him.

In the end, I think they are something that you have to just get and try to see if they will work for you. The rails are fixed position wants you get them how you want them (they seat no longer slides the way the stock seat rails do).

For your reference, I am 6'6"/265 lbs with a 34" inseam.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
i would figure they fit perfect.

Its a very simple product. over priced imo. I could custom one offs made for cheaper than that.

Worth about $140 to me. Instead with shipping its nearly double.

But it should be benificial also. Lower the COG of the car is always a good thing.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I ordered a set and tried them, but they didn't quite work out for me. The rails do lower the seat a slight bit more in the vertical, but also lean the seat back slightly. This leaning is where most of the height comes from. I found the slightly reclined position to be very comfortable and added a good amount of head room. Unfortunately, inorder to recline the seat, the base has to be a little further forward which took more legroom than I could give. I ended up selling them to another member here (insane) and I believe they have worked out well for him.

In the end, I think they are something that you have to just get and try to see if they will work for you. The rails are fixed position wants you get them how you want them (they seat no longer slides the way the stock seat rails do).

For your reference, I am 6'6"/265 lbs with a 34" inseam.
well thats no good.

Im only 6'2" but from that description they wouldnt work for me either. I have no legroom as it is from the non adjustable steering wheel.

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
well thats no good.

Im only 6'2" but from that description they wouldnt work for me either. I have no legroom as it is from the non adjustable steering wheel.
I am 6'3" with a 34" inseam and the DownLow kit does indeed put your butt lower in the car and gets my head inside the cabin so I am not looking at the windshield header. The only problem I have with the kit is that there is not enough adjustment available to reduce the rake of the seat. This leaves my legs sore from the front edge of the seat bottom digging into the backs of my thighs. I am in the process of modifying my kit now to reduce the tilt of the seat which should also help keep my knees out of the steering wheel. I also agree the kit is too expensive for what you get and the way it is bolted together could have been much easier if the rails had weld nuts for some of the bolts instead of loose lock nuts. Also, as stated before, there is no way to install the kit as shown in the directions.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I also have one. It's working out fairly well. I had to mount it all the way down and forward, because I wanted my head not to hit the rear roll hoop with a bit of clearance for when the seat bends back in an accident. Anyway, I'm 6'4" with 34" inseam. I had a little bit of legroom to spare before the rails. And no spare headroom. Now it has switched. I like it a lot better. I have yet to try sitting with the top on and a helmet on, but I feel like I nearly have a chance. I feel like there is about 1-2" of headroom depending on how I sit in the seat. The major problems I've had are that now my shoulders are a little bit too low for the 4tress harness bar, and the seat seems to have gotten a little less comfortable, probably because I'm not slouching enough to match where I sat in the seat before it tipped.

On a related note, what do other people use for lumbar support? The little bubble in the seat only makes it worse for me. I've been trying a small towel laid across my lower back. That's worked out pretty well. I want to find/cut something that is a little more permanent.

·
Registered
424 Posts
About the same as tesprit ... 6'3" with a 34" inseam

We tried to change the rake of the seat and drilled a total of 8 extra holes in the rails; used a friends machine shop. He checked out my measurements and ideas, just to make sure I didn't FUBAR everything on my own. Where there were 4 holes, 2 more were added in series for each grouping of holes.

We tried the farthest position first. It required some additional work on the seat (grinding), so the bolts could be reached with a socket. It moved the axis back...close to stock or further back.

The roll bar is over the driver's head, without much clearance.

I think the name "DOWNlow" is exactly that, it definitley accomplishes its objective and is a worthwhile option. With this mod, it works for tall guys that fall into our category. But IMO you may have to do mods to make it conform to your size.

Bottom line: It's better than stock regarding leg room. For the lower back a piece of foam works for the lower back. It's the foam that many have added to the stock seats.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
well thats no good.

For me it wasn't so much interference from the steering wheel, my knees are already up and to either side of that. It was more that the seat position put my shins right up against the lower aluminum tray and my left knee was up even more such that I couldn't signal for a left turn (not enough room for the turn signal stalk to go down).

·
Registered
591 Posts
I am 6'2 and have very long legs. I have the seat rails but do not like them. My knees now hit the steering colum. My head is way lower but now my knee's are constantly hitting the colum. I am going back to stock or buying a different seat.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I've got Baysailor's old rails. I'm 6'1", 32" inseam.... perfect for me. I guess that's the cut-off.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
On a related note, what do other people use for lumbar support? The little bubble in the seat only makes it worse for me. I've been trying a small towel laid across my lower back. That's worked out pretty well. I want to find/cut something that is a little more permanent.
Search for "seat rebuild with Kemmler air2gel foam":up:

·
Registered
712 Posts
Sweet, thanks. :)

·
Registered
374 Posts
I'm 6'4" with a 36" inseam and the rails did not work for me for two major reasons: first my legs interfered with the steering wheel, shifter, and the increased bend in my legs forced my feet to be at a funny angle for the gas pedal. This made it even harder to not hang up on the edge of the break pedal when hitting the gas or going for the brake. The pedal problem could be fixed by removing the separator between the driver and passenger's feet I guess. The second problem is that although there was more headroom achieved by raking the seat back my head then rested against the hard plastic edge of the role-bar cover which was uncomfortable and seemed unsafe. The rails do not lower the seat bottom, as the seat is about as low as it can go from Lotus without shaving it, the headroom is purely achieved as a compromise with legroom.

I had no problem selling my rails after I tried them, so if you think they might work for you, my suggestion would be to get them and try them out.

I did hear that someone had figured out how to make the seat padding removable using velcro. That way during track days they could gain a little more head and leg room. I haven't looked into this yet but it sounds like one could get a bit under a half inch from both leg and head room by this mod. It doesn't sound like much but I would take it!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts