The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's a "speed trap" locating software. It uses user data to populate a map with various traps in your area. There are a few categories for various trap types you can turn on and off.

The locations are "weighted" according to user input, so you can filter by green/yellow/red, green being a non confirmed location and red being one confirmed by enough to make it very legit.

I'm not sure how long a trap will stay on the map if no user data is input from the trapster community in a certain amount of time, but that would be nice as well.

I installed it and went and looked around the map, the 4 "traps" i know of, were all represented so that's good.

It also has "groups" you can join...so maybe it would be cool if there was a Southern California Group...or whatever.

ANYWAYS...seems like a good app, I'll be using it here soon. Let me/us know if you use it and what to look out for, etc. And remember it's only as accurate if people use it, so start using it so I can stop getting pulled over. ;-D

·
Registered
466 Posts
No problems running Trapster on my 3GS with current 1.3.0 firmware. Phone is not jailbreaked or messed around with, unlocked from Apple.

Great app, definitely a plus, adding my contributions as I drive through my usual spots where I often see cops.

Just need to make sure your configuration for the application is setup properly. You don't want an alert going off in the middle of the night, while you are sleeping, telling you there is a new alert being added somewhere halfway around the other side of town.

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Best app ever. Better than a radar detector IMHO.

Known traps are all there. When I see live radar, they are always there. It's a great thing to have on road trips.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I use it as one more tool in the kit and find it generally works well. Running on a 3G, 3.0 firmware with no problems.

·
Registered
594 Posts
This is a great feature for long trips to places you aren't aware of traps. I have a passport 9500i that has the GPS marking traps but this helps with out of state traps i am unaware of.
thanks for the info

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Thanks for the link. I didn't know about them. I have a Treo Pro and looks like they don't has something for WinMo or WebOS yet.

·
Registered
594 Posts
It baffles me that law enforcement or any government people look at this at a negative. If anything it may slow people down in the right areas that cops sit since they are usually an area of high congestion and or a school area. if you iphone goes off telling you that there is a potential speed trap then you will be slowing down no matter if the cop is there or not.
So exactly as the post states it’s about the revenue that will be lost, but i beg to differ on lives i think this will help saves lives keeping people more alert to what may be going on, on the roads.
We as a country need to focus on teaching better driving mechanics, car control and left lane driving, then trying to reprimand someone for driving fast. Don't teach by punishment. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Anyone going to use the Trapster Program for Iphone or Blackberry etc?

There is alot of press about this app for the Iphone. It is a free service that allows users to share the location of speed traps, red light cameras, and other related traps while using mobile phones. In fact the more people who use it, the more effective it becomes. Its like a modern version of the old cb radio but more specific so u don't have to listen to the chatter of a million truck drivers. Meanwhile I have been using the Iphone 3G S with its new blue tooth fm transmitter capacity with success in my Lotus with the blau. It works fairly well so u can get along without a cable.

·
Registered
216 Posts
As I wrote in another thread, I use it as one more tool in the kit and find it generally works well. Running on a 3G, 3.0 firmware with no problems.

·
Registered
319 Posts
What mount is everyone using to see their iPhone in the Elise?
I wanted to bump this, as I want to know the answer to this same question. My v1 has let me down three times. Once for a policeman that didn't get my speed and lied, once for instant on radar, and once for laser.

As soon as I get trapster figured out i'm getting an iphone or a google android, they have trapster for both now.

So, how do you mount it?

gm

1 - 20 of 22 Posts