The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering putting Dunlop Direzza DZ102 on my 05 Elise with LSS rims.
They come in the stock sizes:195/50R16 & 225/45R17

I need to replace my original A048's and was wondering how people felt about the Dunlop Direzza DZ102

Thanks
Joe

·
Registered
146 Posts
I currently have the Direzza on my 05 Elise with the Sport Pack rims. These are the original versions, not the current ZII. They are better in the rain, but that's easy over the AO48. You will notice less immediate turn-in and less overall grip. They don't tramline as much and are generally 'softer' in response, which can be nice when the car is an everyday driver.

When I bought mine the 195/50-16 was not available, so I have 205/50-16 & 235/45-17. The set now has almost 9000 and the rears need replacing. The fronts, of course, have no significant wear. This set has been tracked 6-8 times in their life.

I plan on going to Toyo R888's soon.

Jeff B

·
Have you GYLO'd?
1,697 Posts
I'm On Dunlop DZ101's

I have LSS wheels, and originally ran Yoko AD07's, even though the fronts were only 175's. When it came time to replace all 4, I went with DZ101's, because they were available in the right size, and the UTQG was closer to the tires I had been running than the DZ102's. I am through the break-in period, and happy with the ride and handling, so far. I'll autocross at LOG, and we'll see if I made the right choice.

I don't track the car, so I don't want a tire that's low tread-life in exchange for crazy traction, but I also didn't want an all-season tire on the car I bought for handling.

--Bob Collum

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have LSS wheels, and originally ran Yoko AD07's, even though the fronts were only 175's. When it came time to replace all 4, I went with DZ101's, because they were available in the right size, and the UTQG was closer to the tires I had been running than the DZ102's. I am through the break-in period, and happy with the ride and handling, so far. I'll autocross at LOG, and we'll see if I made the right choice.

I don't track the car, so I don't want a tire that's low tread-life in exchange for crazy traction, but I also didn't want an all-season tire on the car I bought for handling.

--Bob Collum
Bob, so you ran AD07's in size 175 on LSS wheels???? How were the 175's on the LSS wheels? Were you also running the stock 225's AD07's on the rear? How was the performance of the car? Why did you switch from this 175's setup? Was it performance or price/tire wear?

Thanks Joe

·
Less is Better
2,981 Posts
I currently have the Direzza on my 05 Elise with the Sport Pack rims. These are the original versions, not the current ZII. They are better in the rain, but that's easy over the AO48. You will notice less immediate turn-in and less overall grip. They don't tramline as much and are generally 'softer' in response, which can be nice when the car is an everyday driver.

When I bought mine the 195/50-16 was not available, so I have 205/50-16 & 235/45-17. The set now has almost 9000 and the rears need replacing. The fronts, of course, have no significant wear. This set has been tracked 6-8 times in their life.

I plan on going to Toyo R888's soon.

Jeff B
Are you getting rubbing with the fender liner on the fronts?

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
When I go to tirerack and put in the sizes, it doesn't even come up as an option....

strange.

Conti DWS
General Gmax
Kumho 4x
Yokohaoma Avid
A048
toyo 888

tahts all that comes up for me

·
Premium Member
12,195 Posts
Running SSRs, 6.5" frt

RE11 205/45 16

Excellent tire if you run in rain at all.

You didn't mention how you use the car and in what weather.

But:

1. Tire Rack tests are the 1st place to look.

2. The newer version of the above tire may not be as good.

3. These all should have come up.

BTW, rear: 245/40-17.

·
Have you GYLO'd?
1,697 Posts
Bob, so you ran AD07's in size 175 on LSS wheels???? How were the 175's on the LSS wheels? Were you also running the stock 225's AD07's on the rear? How was the performance of the car? Why did you switch from this 175's setup? Was it performance or price/tire wear?

Thanks Joe
First, I have a 2007 Elise, so I think my front LSS wheels are .5 inch narrower than yours. I ran 175's front, 225's rear. The reason - I bought the car from a West Coast Lotus dealer, and I insisted that they replace the A048s, which I knew to be ridiculously short-lived. I'd bet the dealer just grabbed a set of AD07's off a non-LSS car. I had no major problem with the first set of AD07's - the rears lasted over 18,000 miles, and I have no complaints about performance. I needed to change all 4 at 27,000, so the second set of rears didn't even make it to 10,000 miles. I decided it was time to go with a newer design. I wanted decent mileage - at least the 18K I got on the original rears - but I refused to go to all-season tires. I still wanted good performance, but not at the expense of ultra-soft track-day tires. The deciding factors on the DZ102's were that they were the correct OE size, and the wear rating was between the AD07's and the DZ101's, so I figure they will have good traction. Also, they were much less expensive than the AD07's.

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
If you search tire rack for lotus elise with sport pack, the dunlop direzza does not come up in the search even though they are available in the correct size- Why? Because tire rack's computer is actually pretty smart and won't come up with a tire with the wrong speed rating. The direzza is V rated (149 mph) and the lotus requires a W rated tire. Personally i don't plan on going more than 149, so when my A048's are worn out( very soon now) i might consider the direzza.

·
Less is Better
2,981 Posts
If you search tire rack for lotus elise with sport pack, the dunlop direzza does not come up in the search even though they are available in the correct size- Why? Because tire rack's computer is actually pretty smart and won't come up with a tire with the wrong speed rating. The direzza is V rated (149 mph) and the lotus requires a W rated tire. Personally i don't plan on going more than 149, so when my A048's are worn out( very soon now) i might consider the direzza.
No, the search isn't looking for a matching speed rating to stock. You can see the filter list along the left side of the page and by default, all speed ratings are selected.

·
Super Moderator
6,820 Posts
First, I have a 2007 Elise, so I think my front LSS wheels are .5 inch narrower than yours. I ran 175's front, 225's rear.
It's actually the other way around. In '08 they made the sport pack wheels on the Elise and Elise SC the same width as the cast rims.

Back in the early days of the Elise in the US some of the active members tried out a bunch of wheel and tire combos and the general consensus was that the stock base sized AD07s stretched a bit onto the wider LSS wheels gave the most feedback and felt the liveliest.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts