The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a new Flip camcorder for our vacation to Yosemite, and decided to take it for a spin in the Elise on Friday on a road scouting mission. Flip has no image stabilization, so I was a little concerned about vibration. It worked out pretty well given that I MacGuyver'd the cheapest camera mount of all time.

Flip also has a standard tripod mount, so I think long term one of Randy's mounts would work well - probably a harness bar mount. It records 30fps, H.264 encoded in 1280x720, AAC Audio, and stores up to 2 hours. I warn you, the driving in this video is not exciting in the slightest.

If you are looking for a simple, small, and relatively cheap HD video solution, this may be a good one. Not trying spam here, just reporting on something new that I haven't seen discussed much.

If anyone has used the flip at a track, how do you like it?

Seat-Mount Flip

Here is my temporary Camera Mount...made of 1 hockey skate lace and some cardboard. It's a little silly, I know, but it worked and only took 2 minutes to construct.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also do a search here for ideas...plenty of discussion on here regarding this topic.
Yeah, I've seen lots of discussion on HD/Mounting options, but not much around the Flip specifically. Maybe it doesn't really matter since HD cameras w/o stablization will probably function similarly on the same mount :shrug: I'll do my due diligence here soon.

wait maybe its hockey skate lace stabilization:shrug:
:D - quite possibly

·
Registered
780 Posts
When I did the hard mount my aiptec gave me vertigo. Just wish I purchased the one that had I S. I would like to see how your video looks after a proper mount. I have been using my sony point and shoot with an 8 gig to record my track sessions. I have been pretty impressed with the general quality of the video. But the "hd" cameras looks so much better.

Post some clips after you get your cam mounted.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I got a Contour HD...awesome picture. Very compact and easy to use.....

·
Registered
120 Posts
That's hilarious. :) You should sell those as Universal Mounts on eBay.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've got the last gen of them. Taped it to the back window with painters tape for autocrosses. :)
well done! :clap: Thanks for posting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts