The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So recently I've had a hankering to pickup a MCS for a good price and start dd'ing that instead of my Nissan Frontier. The Frontier is just getting to be a bit much around the city in Boston and I'm not using the pickup bed really all that much. Plus I'm looking to enjoy something a bit more day to day so I'm not feening to drive the Elise all the damn time.

Question is...is the MCS to much fun for a daily??

·
Registered
943 Posts
Wife just totaled my MCS daily driver. In addition to it being a GREAT daily driver it proved to be very safe. She was shaken from the crash but unharmed beyond a few scrapes and bruises. It is a fun car to drive and is very agile in traffic. You get a thumbs up from me.

Matt

·
Registered
155 Posts
I also have to ask, how can you possibly have too much when driving, (other than speeding)? Not sure I understand that. My only intention when driving is to enjoy the car I'm in which in turn makes me enjoy the drive. I can't make any personal opinion about the MCS but from all the people that I have talked to at auto x events say nothing but great things about them. I am also looking to get myself one in the near future as my daily winter beater just because they are so much fun to drive.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Fun to drive, AND they have a "club" in a sort of way that's socially enjoyable, much the way you get the thumbs up from a triumph or an MG while driving the lotus.

I've owned two, a 2004 Cooper S (#3 @ my dealer) and a 2005 JCW S. Loved them both. Girls will chase you around in them.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I also have to ask, how can you possibly have too much when driving, (other than speeding)? Not sure I understand that. My only intention when driving is to enjoy the car I'm in which in turn makes me enjoy the drive. I can't make any personal opinion about the MCS but from all the people that I have talked to at auto x events say nothing but great things about them. I am also looking to get myself one in the near future as my daily winter beater just because they are so much fun to drive.
Fun to drive, AND they have a "club" in a sort of way that's socially enjoyable, much the way you get the thumbs up from a triumph or an MG while driving the lotus.

I've owned two, a 2004 Cooper S (#3 @ my dealer) and a 2005 JCW S. Loved them both. Girls will chase you around in them.
Lol I guess I should explain the too much fun. I "think" what I meant was to ask if its possible that the MCS would be more fun than the Elise and basically spoil my time driving the Lotus. Such as the idea of having two cars that do nearly the same things.

·
Registered
6,651 Posts
I owned an 06 Mini S. Loved the car.

Believe it or not, the steering is more sensitive than the Elise. Actually twitchy.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Lol I guess I should explain the too much fun. I "think" what I meant was to ask if its possible that the MCS would be more fun than the Elise and basically spoil my time driving the Lotus. Such as the idea of having two cars that do nearly the same things.
Nah, I had the mini as my DD and elise as fun car, they are two different beasts. Mini can carry stuff, I loaded mine with 2X4's from Home depot, carried 6 wheels with tires in it, carried people around, etc.

The elise is still way above the mini in driving excitement and fun, but the mini allows you and 3 friends to hit the town.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
We have a 09 Cooper S 6MT and it's a blast. I can't vouch for the earlier models but the 07+ turbocharged direct injection cars are really torquey and we get about 35 mpg combined mileage. They also handle great and with just a simple set of Konis and tires makes a great autocross car. I will say the trunk space isn't great if you plan on carrying lots of stuff. You can fold the rear seats down but it's kind of a pain but all around a great daily.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Brilliant Daily Driver...!

Just picked up an 09 MCS.....handles nearly as well as my Exige S, but am having a bit of a learning curve with the torque steer! And gets 35+MPG on top of it....

If you need a bit of extra trunk space, (The MCS is lacking) I would look at the Clubman S, a bit more rear seating, and trunk space....

Very impressed so far.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I prefer the styling of the Clubman S plus it has backseats that are usable for my 6 ft son and plenty of room to carry stuff. Check out the brown lounge club leather interior.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have an '06 MCS and it's a great daily driver. Relatively safe, sporty, holds a surprising amount of stuff with the rear seats down, gets decent MPG, etc.

I had the MINI before my Elise. The Elise ruined the MINI. I used to think the MINI was a lot of fun - and it still is, but... the Elise is just heads and shoulders above the MINI for driving experience.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I've also been toying with the idea of a mcs as a dd, but I want to be able to fit my mountain bike inside (not on a rack). Anyone with a mini know if a mountain bike will fit. Note that a mountain bike is usually a few inches longer than a road bike.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I have one, it's a very nice DD. IMO the owning / driving experience is not at all like the Elise, so it shouldn't spoil the Elise for you. It's a lot of fun (like the Elise), but in a very different way.

Elise is much more of a visceral thing, while the MCS is still sporty but more "civilised", it spoils you a bit more with creature comforts and power everything, and you're more upright and so on.

You should test drive one if you haven't already.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I have a 09 MCS MT and love it.. Great daily and it handles very well... It also makes a great backup track car as well.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I've also been toying with the idea of a mcs as a dd, but I want to be able to fit my mountain bike inside (not on a rack). Anyone with a mini know if a mountain bike will fit. Note that a mountain bike is usually a few inches longer than a road bike.

Haven't ever tried fitting my bike inside, but I doubt it will work. Maybe if you take both wheels off...

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I could put my Litespeed in, but had to remove the front wheel, far from neat. It also had to be propped up a bit. This was an 05, the later chassis may be better.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts