The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone want to double their HP without going FI... just came across this...

The Two-Stroke Shop 2-Stroke Shop

We can build twins up to 1146cc; triples up to 1725cc; and fours up to 2200cc. Anyone fancy pepping up their Lotus Elise or Ariel Atom?
Imagine having an elise with 400HP and a lighter overall engine (and also not having to worry about the engine blowing up after a couple thousand miles...)

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
LOL!

Not for the DD crowd

I would want to do it to mine, then take it in to get it smogged, and when the guy looks at me like I'm nuts, I just say "what do you mean... it came this way."

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
Bandwidth Limit Exceeded
The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/1.3.41 Server at www.twostrokeshop.com Port 80

·
Registered
99 Posts
2 strokes...comming from a ATV/MX background. I can see how it would be great to have a car that would make around 6 miles/gallon on normal driving :crazyeyes.

400HP would be a blast tho

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2 strokes...comming from a ATV/MX background. I can see how it would be great to have a car that would make around 6 miles/gallon on normal driving :crazyeyes.

400HP would be a blast tho
yep, agreed... I dont think this would be a good option for a daily driver based on the fuel consumption/emissions, but for the guy who has an elise as a second car and wants to track it or take it out and destroy just about any other car on the road its a great way to do it and have it be reliable as well.

The oil thing is really a non-issue since they have the seperate oil tanks that you can fit that will auto mix the oil in as you go. Probably the biggest maintainence issue would be reed valve replacement (unless you did something with like rotary or disc valves).

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
If you change the engine from 4stroke to 2stroke, youll have more than double the heat.

Not only are you producing 2x heat, but there is less time for the heat to escape.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
A 2 stroke would make big power and torque but the torque and longevity would be lousy. Piston rings do not last very long in 2 stroke motors which I have always attributed to the cylinder port openings.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
I'd hate to thing of how this thing would sound.

Would you go premix?

Carry some plugs if you plan to idle much!

would be fun to put one in an S1 Elise

·
Registered
907 Posts
I love new ideas...thinking outside the box

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
"No other motorcycling experience floods the senses and makes such a lasting impression as hitting the power band for the first time on a hairy two-stroke. The sudden explosive rush of power; the front end pawing skywards; the fluid effortlessness of it all - and with the bonus of a GP bike surround-soundtrack."

I had a Yamaha RZ350 twin, which was essentially two YZ125 MX engines sandwiched together. It's true, nothing feels as good as a 2 stroke coming on the pipe. I used to slow down just to hit the 4-8K rush from it over and over again. The neighbors must have loved me.

This would be awesome in a weekend warrior. The thing about 2 strokes is that the major wear components, cylinders, pistons & rings, wrist bearings, are generally easily replaced/serviced. I had a YZ100 race bike as a kid we tore down every few weeks. My later two strokes, a KTM 300EXC from the mid 90's was very forgiving of top end wear.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts