The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone want to trade your brand new 2005 Lotus Elise for my 1993.5 Toyota Supra, hardtop, black on black, 25K original miles, perfect condition, tuned to perfection, 606rwhp, T-61 turbo, custom stereo, Fikse wheels, etc etc???

·
Registered
866 Posts
GarrettTurbo26 said:
Anyone want to trade your brand new 2005 Lotus Elise for my 1993.5 Toyota Supra, hardtop, black on black, 25K original miles, perfect condition, tuned to perfection, 606rwhp, T-61 turbo, custom stereo, Fikse wheels, etc etc???
i think you might have a hard time trying to pull this one off! i don't know of too many people who will gladly give up their brand new limited edition Lotus for a 12 year old Toyota that is no longer produced. Remember that the sticker on the Supra was around 60K new. I think you might need to pay someone a lot of money to go along with the car, but I am no expert.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe someone would, considering a perfect condition 25K mile Supra (unmodified) goes for around $40,000 on Ebay. Plus, upgrading to a single turbo, putting on expensive wheels, getting the best of the best in choice upgrades, I was just wondering...

If no one wants to trade, that's fine. I'll just buy one and have two incredible cars =)

·
Registered
513 Posts
GarrettTurbo26 said:
No.

:)

I wanted a Supra for the longest time. I just couldn't see paying 25 - 50k for a 5 - 10 year old car, many times with quite a few miles on them just because Toyota decided to stop making them. :wallbang: Had the elise not come over here, I would still be considering one.

But now that the elise is here, I would never consider it because of the weight alone, if no other reason. I might consider getting one in addition to the elise to have a straight line car, but not instead of the elise.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A Supra a straight line car? Maybe you could call a old Chevelle with 800 horsepower and wheelie bars that. However, a Supra is not a straight line car, sorry. Hey, a Lotus Elise could be a straight line car, too. It all depends on who's driving, doesn't it?

JGTC? Ever hear of that? Supras compete and have won many championships. Wow, turns! Lots of them.

Elises are nimble little critters, I'll give you that. Almost a complete race car in every aspect. Handling is superb, without a question. But, Lotus engineered the car to be a street legal racer. Toyota produced a "contained" super car, with room for 4, taking every day driving into consideration - not a street legal racer.

Now, take out the rear seats, put in a roll cage, add sway bars, get sticky tires, and put on coil over suspension and you get incredible handling. Phenomenal, really. Mario Andretti test drove one on the track, completely factory, and said it was one of the most stable (at speed) production cars he's ever driven.

Take your Elise and my Supra to the track, and results will vary, depending on track dimensions and driver capability. A moderate to high speed track will eat your Elise alive. You might as well be parked because I will lap you over and over.

Take our cars to an Autocross event or a small, windy track, and I might as well not even try.

The main reason why I'm 'considering' selling the Supra is not because the Elise performs better (relatively speaking), it's because when you hit top speed in your Elise, I finally shift into 6th gear and have until 210mph before it bounces off the rev limiter. Great fun, but just a bit illegal. If I want to go that fast, I'll rent an airplane.

Just ventured into aviation, recently... so now I'm finally free to go .9 Mach.

Enjoy =)

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Great fun, but just a bit illegal.
I have a nissan 240sx with a rb20det (skyline engine) in it with some suspension damage and thats why I'm selling it rather then fixing it. Its a bitch to have a cop pull up by you and having to worry if he'll pull you over for your exhaust being a lil loud, or the fumes are more potent since you don't have a cat, or if he heard the blow off vavle go off a few miles back...

And if you do get pulled over praying that he met his quota this month and doesn't ask you to pop the hood....

One thing you have to realize is that alot of people here have been waiting for their elises for years. I don't see many people trading it for a car that you can buy off the shelf, espically one that isn't new. The people that buy an elise and decided they don't like it cause of the lack of practicablity aren't on this site.

·
Registered
866 Posts
GarrettTurbo26 said:

JGTC? Ever hear of that? Supras compete and have won many championships.
It was my understanding that this year was the last year for the Supra in the JGTC. Am i correct? I wasn't sure what they would replace it with. :confused:

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Nascars car turn too... doesn't mean I'd want a Monte Carlo. ;)

Not to say that your Supra is on par with a Grand Prix, but to compare your car with the JGTC cars with the implication that because there's a Supra in the series, your car is a track beast is a bit far fetched.

Supras are great cars. I like 'em.
Yours only has 25K?! Very nice (seriuosly).

I'll keep my Elise (which hasn't yet arrived - DOH!). ;)

That'll probably fetch $25K+ won't it?

·
Registered
513 Posts
GarrettTurbo26 said:
A Supra a straight line car? Maybe you could call a old Chevelle with 800 horsepower and wheelie bars that. However, a Supra is not a straight line car, sorry. Hey, a Lotus Elise could be a straight line car, too. It all depends on who's driving, doesn't it?

JGTC? Ever hear of that? Supras compete and have won many championships. Wow, turns! Lots of them.

Elises are nimble little critters, I'll give you that. Almost a complete race car in every aspect. Handling is superb, without a question. But, Lotus engineered the car to be a street legal racer. Toyota produced a "contained" super car, with room for 4, taking every day driving into consideration - not a street legal racer.

Now, take out the rear seats, put in a roll cage, add sway bars, get sticky tires, and put on coil over suspension and you get incredible handling. Phenomenal, really. Mario Andretti test drove one on the track, completely factory, and said it was one of the most stable (at speed) production cars he's ever driven.

Take your Elise and my Supra to the track, and results will vary, depending on track dimensions and driver capability. A moderate to high speed track will eat your Elise alive. You might as well be parked because I will lap you over and over.

Take our cars to an Autocross event or a small, windy track, and I might as well not even try.

The main reason why I'm 'considering' selling the Supra is not because the Elise performs better (relatively speaking), it's because when you hit top speed in your Elise, I finally shift into 6th gear and have until 210mph before it bounces off the rev limiter. Great fun, but just a bit illegal. If I want to go that fast, I'll rent an airplane.

Just ventured into aviation, recently... so now I'm finally free to go .9 Mach.

Enjoy =)
errrrr... yeah, sorry. I was thinking in comparision to the elise, and since I'd already have an elise I would make the supra a "high hp" car... didn't mean to use the term "straight line". I'm very familiar with supras (have been on supraforums and mkiv for years) and love 'em... but if I had both an elise and a supra I would have the elise as the ultimate handling car and put a big turbo on the supra.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
210mph?

uh, yeah, I'd like to see that.

somehow I don't think it is possible and not to get into a long drawn out discussion about it, but just because the hp/weight/gearing says the car should go 210 does not mean it actually will.

have some of those super 1000hp modified supras been put to top speed tests???

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
well, just the premise is wrong, If you are trying to trade your supra for one of our elises and you claim how good the Supra is compared to the Elise then why are you considering getting rid of a superior car?

Sorry, it does not compute ;)

·
Registered
7,710 Posts
hey it sounds like a very cool car.....for those of u who dont know, those supras engines were way overengineered, hence they made a great platform for after market tuners....
i heard they were making a new one soon?? anyway, nice car.
word of advice.....most of the people on this board are into elises, miatas, and honda s2000's.....and thats about it.
:)
take from that what u will.
put ur car on ebay.....it will sell.
i sold my evo there...highly modded like ur supra.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
I've driven a few supras but only in stock form. While they are undoubtedly fast I found the driving experience to be more "GT" than "sports car."

I preferred to keep my MR2 Turbo over the Supra Turbos just for the driving experience while acknowledging the Supra was much faster in measured numbers to my Two.

The forum members here know it's not all about numbers. We love our Elise for the driving experience it offers. The sensations cannot be easily described with my limited vocabulary, but I know I LIKE IT!

Good luck with the sale of that monster Supra!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I only see one problem with the trade... I would be giving up my 2005 Elise that looks exotic and turns heads wherever it goes for a Supra... That is the only way I can describe it withour offending you. The Supra has no style or class to it... Don't get me wrong the Supra, as well as other Toyota sports cars, is a great car. It just does not have any type of exotic look to it

sorry

·
Registered
284 Posts
GarrettTurbo26 said:
I could be wrong but as far as I know the JGTC Supra uses a carbon fiber chassic that is totally different compare with the street car Supra. It is a race car with a Supra "look" outter shell.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Absolutely right; the Supra really doesn't have an exotic look in comparison to an Elise. The design was way ahead of its time, debuting in 1993, but really lacks an exotic flair, unfortunately. The Elise looks super nice, no doubt about that!

In stock form, the Supra really isn't a track beast, but after suspension modifications, I can safely say it handles extremely well for a 3400lb car. Almost unbelievably well. Tsuchiya (the Drift King) and Orido (the two most famous drifters in the world, and very avid roadracers) both pick the Supra as their personal favorite car to race on the track. Smooth, fast, stable, and incredibly predictable.

A comparison to a Pontiac Grand Prix is ridiculous. Really no need to discuss why - just remember people, Nascar and roadracing are two VERY different types of racing. (And no, the only difference is NOT that roadracing also has right turns).

Anyway, I also had a nicely modded '93 Toyota MR2 Turbo for a few years, so I understand how the beginnings of how nimble a mid-engine car perform on the track. In no way can the MR2 compare to an Elise, however.

I haven't had a chance to test drive the Elise yet, but I'm scheduled to test drive one tomorrow, so I will return with some great input!

Oh and btw, it has been proven over and over again that the Supra, with 500rwhp and beyond can easily attain a top speed of over 200 mph, around 210mph actually. If you don't believe, go on supraforums and ask anyone. If you are still skeptic, I'll take you for a ride =) Have someone with a radar gun confirm, if you really want to be anal.

Lastly, have respect for one of the most incredible engines ever designed, the 2JZ-GTE (the motor inside the 93-98 Supra Turbo). All you Elise guys should be very happy with Toyota motors, because, as you should know, you have one in your Elise!

Happy Holidays

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
GarrettTurbo26 said:
Absolutely right...
agreed on all accounts. great car, great engine, great look for it's time... hell, I still think they're one of the better looking cars out there.

For the record,
I said that the Supra and Grand Prix are *not* on the same level, i.e. not in comparision to eachother.
Nascar does go around road courses (only two, sure, but the point still stands - track cars != production counterparts).

and, at the risk of being flamed, drifting, while requiring a ton of skill, does not prove a car's trackworthiness (is that a word?).... maybe I just don't understand it, but you can drift a mini-van around a course all day... right up next to another minivan. What's the point?

No disrespect to the car or the owner... just my opinion hanging out there once again. ;)

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
I agree too, the Supra is a great car and definetly has a lot of power.

Great car, but just not for me, +1.1g cornering is what is about ;)

·
Registered
345 Posts
Great car, no question. I suspect you'll find that most Eliseaholics are very partial to the philosophy of "less is more". The Supra is a car I lusted after at one point, but it does not fit register at all when measured against that philosophy.

I'd love to drive your car, but the Elise is what I want to take home.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts