The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep meaning to call our club member who had our scales. I am curious about the stock weights with /without options.
Anyone weighed theirs yet?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
adamant said:
I keep meaning to call our club member who had our scales. I am curious about the stock weights with /without options.
Anyone weighed theirs yet?
i'll be corner weighting when my new shocks get here so i should have good data then (probably end of the month).

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
The registration on my car lists the weight as 2010 lbs. I wonder if this is a federal guideline they are using, since I thought that the regular weight was about 1975lbs.

Ps. In FL, the registration is based on the weight of the car, so I saved about $20 a year by getting rid of my old heavier 2700 lb car.

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
i used to live some miles away from a recycling plant and they had a scale there big enough for an entire 18 wheeler to get on and weigh itself. I was going to weigh my car here. But I'm not getting mine for another 5/6 months.

·
Registered
313 Posts
weight of elise

I weighed my car on a certified scale-1/4 tank of fuel,touring&lss=1920 lbs.this scale had a capacity of 120,000 lbs,so figure a margin of error of -+20 lbs. This was before I replaced the radio.:up:

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I heard our weight was really closer to 1900. So with my QS exhaust I'm even less, I suppose. That's great.

Why would Lotus want to overstate the weight?? Is 1975 the weight in it's absolute heaviest form?

·
Registered
513 Posts
I think 1975 was touring with a full tank of gas, so the 3/4 tank less than that would account for around 50 lbs by itself.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
7.5 gallons of gas = 50 pounds?! Man-where do you buy your gas?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Surferjer said:
7.5 gallons of gas = 50 pounds?! Man-where do you buy your gas?
I've always heard 7 lbs./gal. as the rough estimate of normal fuel weight (i.e., not strange racing fuels like the supposedly lightweight F1 Shell gas that Ferrari uses, etc.)

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
jml1952 said:
My little yellow one seems to weigh about 1 pound. :D
Gee Michael are you going to bring that one to the next WCLM :p

Thanks evryone, I thin I saw the 2xxxlbs somewhere and it was worrying me. I need to pester the guy with our club scales and weigh mine. I need to do something becasue it is STILL RAINING HERE. OK I have tken some more meds... feeling better....

·
Registered
670 Posts
My little one is stuck to a wood base with placque. Hard to get an accurate number. Hey Adamant... could you drag your bathroom scale into the driveway ? Weigh yourself holding the car, then just yourself.:p

Steve

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
gasoline density is among the lowest of liquids

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
wishiwerefaster said:
I've always heard 7 lbs./gal. as the rough estimate of normal fuel weight
I believe it's around 6lbs per gallon. I did some searching to confirm, and found various numbers. It seems to depend on the kind of fuel, but most of them were around 6lbs.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
you're right. water is about 8.3 lb per gallon and gasoline runs from 5.8 to 6.5 pounds per gallon depending upon formulation

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Once I install the Hawker PC680(13lb battery) I will go to our local recycling station and get weighed. They use their scale to charge residential customers for dumping their trash. Should be a little more accurate than the big rig scales..:p

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Sownman said:
My little one is stuck to a wood base with placque. Hard to get an accurate number. Hey Adamant... could you drag your bathroom scale into the driveway ? Weigh yourself holding the car, then just yourself.:p

Steve
LOL
You may laugh but that is how I measure wheels and stuff. I should get some kind of a scale that for 10-100lb range :D

Perry, where did you purchase the battery? I need to get one and fabricate a mount too.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts