The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The two closest Lotus dealers to me are in Charlotte, NC (300 miles, 5 hours away) and Gaitherburg, MD (120 miles, 2.5 hrs away).

I have my deposit with Hunting Ridge Motors in Port Chester NY because I've dealt with Mark Starr there on a previous purchase and really respect him as a businessman.

So, obviously any warranty work I'll need to transport the car -- but what about routine stuff on the engine -- stuff that I don't do, can a Toyota dealer handle it?

Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'm about the same, having to travel from Las Vegas to San Diego. This was initially a concern, but unlike some on the board, I'm confident in the powertrain and ability to service it locally. The Toyota dealers here will not touch the car, but I'll do some work myself and larger stuff through an independent mechanic (ex MG racing mechanic who works out of his garage, literally). Warranty work still requires the travel, but it is sounding more and more like there isn't much warranty anyway (by the way, anyone with a printed copy of the warranty to see if the 3yrs is powertrain only?)

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
What's 300, 500, or even 1,000 miles (or more) when you're in love? If you don't wan't to satisfy her needs she can easily find someone else who will. Where else are you going to find someone with as
'tight' a body as hers, with 'drop-dead'
gorgeous looks to match? Just 'do it' and
consider yourself fortunate for being allowed to. -ridgeman-

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
you've obviously never negotiated the beltway

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Larry -- thats California for ya! I bet you have a few neighbors with Maybach's! ;-)

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
My dad was just driving in a Maybach yesterday and Im in Kentucky! :) My dad thinks the Maybach is "fast". Yee haaaw.

Anyway, Im in Louisville Kentucky and we're hours and hours from our closest dealer and we're getting two of these things. So you're not alone. Altanta is 6 hours away and the dealer in Ohio is 4 hours away.

·
Registered
179 Posts
There's a dealership in Charlotte?!?! :eek:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
According to Lotus USA:

Carolina Motor Cars Inc.
321 W. Palmer St.
Charlotte, NC 28203
704-334-5858

·
Registered
314 Posts
Hey Carrera Scott,

I live in Richmond, VA, and I'll be making the trek to Criswell for everything but an oil change. I currently have two toyotas (Landcruiser and MR2 Spyder), and I can tell you that the Haley Toyota can't even service their own make, let alone a Lotus. But I have heard that Mechanicsville Toyota is good, maybe I'll talk to them and see what they have to say. I also have a car trailer that you'd be welcome to use if you have a tow vehicle! Max.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I am really lucky to have a dealer less than a few miles away. Out of curiosity I contacted a Toyota dealer and they wont even look at the car. I suggest you join a local Lotus club develop a strong network and a trailer cant hurt either.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I figure for warranty work I'll trailer it to MD and for other work I'll either do it myself or find a (non-dealer) local Toyota guru.

·
Registered
971 Posts
CareraScott,

By nowhere near a dealer do you mean like 2500 miles from the closest one? Actually, since there is one in Vancouver, BC it might only be 2350 miles.

I plan on doing as much of the preventative maintenance as I can, and hope that the folks from Autostrada come up for a moose hunt next year. :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
There are two dealerships here in the Silicon Valley area. However, when I called in early Jan '04, both wait lists were already for 2005 orders.

So, I looked south (~300 miles south) .... Smith Volvo (Lotus) in SLO - Where I'm ~#43 on their list.

When I finally get mine, I am imagining a nice intimate break in ride back north on hwy 5.

That's the only time you'll see subcompact cars, station wagons, and mini vans passing me on an open highway like that....

·
Registered
493 Posts
CarreraScott & maxxfish,

I currently live in Seattle but I'm moving to northern VA next month. My car will be coming into Seattle and then I either ship it out or drive it out to VA.

So where do I buy a house in VA? I'll be working in Tyson's Corner.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
I think that asides for those in major coastal areas most of us are at least a few hrs from nearest dealer. In in KS the dealer is in St. Louis, MO. A dealer in KCI decided against picking up Lotus and went with Maybach

·
purveyor of lightness
4,160 Posts
babak said:
I think that asides for those in major coastal areas most of us are at least a few hrs from nearest dealer. In in KS the dealer is in St. Louis, MO. A dealer in KCI decided against picking up Lotus and went with Maybach
I just skipped over the dealer in St. Louis and went to Chicago... saw and sat in the 111R there at the Chicago Auto Show. Deposit went in the very next day...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts