The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you install a rollcage into an exige, like the s111 cage for example, does this mean that you would have to be stupid to drive it without a helmet on? AKA no longer a streetable car?

:ST:

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
Afraid so. It all comes as a system.

Either 3 point and airbag,

or the cage, seat, harness (5 or 6 only, no fours) helmet , neck protector with no air bag.

I'm sure people do otherwise and live to a ripe old age, but I'm just conveying conventional wisdom.

Would not want my bare noggin whipped up against a big steel tube, even with the protective dense foam paddings. It's bad enough even with a helmet.

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
Mine came with a cage from the factory...

and updated photo with a MOMO and Garmin GPS...

I guess I don't have any conventional wisdom... :facepalm

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
A very nice model.

It has the package I described. Cage, seats, 6 point harness, provision for HANS, no airbag. Everything but helmet.

Does the US version come with cage and no airbag?

·
Cyberdyne Model 101
347 Posts
Don't forget most cages also require a good amount of modifying to the inside of the hardtop. Unless you plan to go topless then it matters little.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
It has the package I described. Cage, seats, 6 point harness, provision for HANS, no airbag. Everything but helmet.
Just curious, why no airbag if you have a cage?
Or is it no airbag if you have a helmet?
Or is it that the airbag is useless with a 5-6 point harness?
Either way why?

thanks

·
Registered
945 Posts
Just curious, why no airbag if you have a cage?
Or is it no airbag if you have a helmet?
Or is it that the airbag is useless with a 5-6 point harness?
Either way why?

thanks
There were a lot of SCCA memos about how full-face helmets and airbags are dangerous in the early 2000s. The memos appear to be rooted in a combination of hearsay and driver's folklore with research done by the FIA in the 90s when they were considering airbags in F1 cars (v. HANS systems). Strangely the studies didn't actually find that helmets and airbags were particularly dangerous together - just that HANS was as good or better than an airbag and much cheaper to implement.

I found an interesting discussion about it here:

Full face and Airbags - Corner-Carvers Forums

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
simple - cage and harness are for racing, cage and harness are safer than 3point/airbag. and if you are in a race the last you want is big blanket thrown in your face upon any contact..... airbag is useless if you have a cage and harness safety wise, and only creates a danger to the driver.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
I went for a ride in one of the racing Elises that wirewheels.com has in stock. The car has a full rollcage and I think it even goes along the side panels too. It was a pain in the neck to try and get out of the car. I had trouble, but then took off the helmet so I could make it out. I am about 6 ft tall and 230 lbs. There was plenty of room inside the car, but it it ever rolled over and caught on fire, they would never be able to get me out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts