The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone actually have this exhaust? Looking for some feedback.

I love the sound of my Larini exhaust when I'm pushing it hard...but it drone pretty badly on highway (I wear earplugs). And I've been getting complaints and flagged for noise at a couple of my local tracks. So I like the idea of switching when necessary.

Can't find any user feedback on these exhausts...and I bit pricey to just go out and buy on a whim

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have this exhaust and I really like it. It is supposed to default to the loud setting when you start the car, but for some reason mine does the opposite. I must have wired the unit wrong when I did it. Haven't had a chance to investigate. There is a distinct difference between the loud and quiet settings, but I don't think the loud is over the top at all. The quiet setting seems similar to stock, but with a nicer tone. Unfortunately I don't have any videos of the sound readily available. I intended to do before and after videos, but only got around to doing the befores...

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have this exhaust and I really like it. It is supposed to default to the loud setting when you start the car, but for some reason mine does the opposite. I must have wired the unit wrong when I did it. Haven't had a chance to investigate. There is a distinct difference between the loud and quiet settings, but I don't think the loud is over the top at all. The quiet setting seems similar to stock, but with a nicer tone. Unfortunately I don't have any videos of the sound readily available. I intended to do before and after videos, but only got around to doing the befores...
Thanks for the input. I did end up ordering one during the black Friday sales. Ended up saving a few bucks. So I'll find out first hand soon enough.

Did you notice any performance difference switching from loud to "quiet"

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the input. I did end up ordering one during the black Friday sales. Ended up saving a few bucks. So I'll find out first hand soon enough.

Did you notice any performance difference switching from loud to "quiet"
Awesome. I Hope you enjoy it!

I'm not sure that I can feel a difference between the modes, but I probably drive a bit more 'assertively' when it is making more noise. :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Awesome. I Hope you enjoy it!

I'm not sure that I can feel a difference between the modes, but I probably drive a bit more 'assertively' when it is making more noise. :)
I have been looking at this exhaust, but wondering how difficult is the wiring installation? Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have been looking at this exhaust, but wondering how difficult is the wiring installation? Thanks!
It wasn't too difficult at all. Just took my time with it. The instructions that the exhaust come with are very clear. I mounted the electronic receiver unit in the cabin behind the plastic cover behind the seats. I cut out a square in the foam insulation for it to sit in. I ran the wires through an existing rubber grommet behind the passenger seat in to the engine bay. I also used a tap-a-fuse under the dash to run the power to the unit, running the wire though the shifter/e-brake tunnel.

Larini states that the exhaust is supposed to default to "loud" mode and always start up in that, however mine is the opposite and starts in "quiet" mode. Not a huge deal. Just have to remember to toggle the switch.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have this exhaust as well, but I went a different route for the controller, as I was not a huge fan of the remote they provide. I also have the Lotus cup intake which does not have the flap valve on it. This means I have a stock electronic solenoid (VSV) that was is doing nothing at all. I ran my own wires to this solenoid and hook the exhaust vacuum tube to it, so now the stock solenoid controls the exhaust. Just for the extra OEM looking touch, I have on order a 3 light switch panel (A121U0091F), as well as the auxiliary light switch(A117M0056F), and will be using that switch to control the exhaust.

I am still waiting on the 3 light switch panel, but in the mean time I just drilled a hole in the old panel and used that for the switch. I am very happy with the install and think it is a nicer look and higher quality than what comes with the exhaust, at least in my opinion. I got a bit off topic, but wanted to share.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have this exhaust as well, but I went a different route for the controller, as I was not a huge fan of the remote they provide. I also have the Lotus cup intake which does not have the flap valve on it. This means I have a stock electronic solenoid (VSV) that was is doing nothing at all. I ran my own wires to this solenoid and hook the exhaust vacuum tube to it, so now the stock solenoid controls the exhaust. Just for the extra OEM looking touch, I have on order a 3 light switch panel (A121U0091F), as well as the auxiliary light switch(A117M0056F), and will be using that switch to control the exhaust.

I am still waiting on the 3 light switch panel, but in the mean time I just drilled a hole in the old panel and used that for the switch. I am very happy with the install and think it is a nicer look and higher quality than what comes with the exhaust, at least in my opinion. I got a bit off topic, but wanted to share.
That sounds like a really nice and clean solution! I like the idea of the stock switch. My car has the driving lights, so that switch is currently in use for me.

I agree that the remote isn't the nicest looking. It doesn't match the car at all. I don't carry it around. I just leave it in the cubby to the left of the steering wheel.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That sounds like a really nice and clean solution! I like the idea of the stock switch. My car has the driving lights, so that switch is currently in use for me.

I agree that the remote isn't the nicest looking. It doesn't match the car at all. I don't carry it around. I just leave it in the cubby to the left of the steering wheel.
Question for other installers:

Does your valve switch on the fly?

I finally got mine installed. Followed the instructions. Noticed that my module with the wiring was a little different than the one in the photos. But followed the same order of wiring. So mine starts off in quiet mode. When I press the fob button it goes to loud, but I can't get it to go back to quiet unless I turn off the car and turn it back on. Then it seems like the vacuum turns the valve back to quiet.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
It wasn't too difficult at all. Just took my time with it. The instructions that the exhaust come with are very clear. I mounted the electronic receiver unit in the cabin behind the plastic cover behind the seats. I cut out a square in the foam insulation for it to sit in. I ran the wires through an existing rubber grommet behind the passenger seat in to the engine bay. I also used a tap-a-fuse under the dash to run the power to the unit, running the wire though the shifter/e-brake tunnel.

Larini states that the exhaust is supposed to default to "loud" mode and always start up in that, however mine is the opposite and starts in "quiet" mode. Not a huge deal. Just have to remember to toggle the switch.
That's actually the way I want to be at start up - in "quiet mode" until I can get out of my neighborhood and get out into the main roads. Can't seem to find a pic of the controller. How long did the install take? Going to do this at home.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts