The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm an owner of an isotope green exige S240 from across the pond (Australia) and I'm visiting Boston mid May for a conference and seeing some relatives in St. Pauls. I'll be in the US from the 10th May to the 22nd or something.

I was wondering if there were any tuners around these areas as I wouldn't mind seeing what's around as I don't get to see very much in after market gear in Brisbane. It would be nice to see things in the flesh rather than a picture on a website. I would love to see a gotham tune but I see CharlieX is on the opposite side of the country.

Of course I should be spending my money on track days but I don't visit the US very often. Just curious.

Also - any places that would be really great drives? Thinking of renting out a cheap convertible and heading somewhere maybe for a day. Probably too busy in Boston but it may give me some relief when visiting the rellies in St. Paul (They want me to see something called the "Great Mall of America" apparently... kill me... kill me now).

Thanks for any info.

Cheers,
SM.

Picasa Web Albums - Naresh - Lotus

(My car... I bet I've stuffed the link up but I thought I'd give it a go. This is after a run with some of the lotus guys in Bris - a fantastic drive up Mt neebo. Love my car!)

·
Super Moderator
3,113 Posts
There's plenty of great driving around Boston. Depending on when you're here there may be some of us out doing it.

The local shops do mostly custom work, so it's generally something where you can walk in and ship around.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Some of the guys in boston might have the gotham tune done...so you could maybe meet up with them and go for a drive :evil:

Very nice car and welcome to the forums.

·
Registered
10 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
... some relief when visiting the rellies in St. Paul (They want me to see something called the "Great Mall of America" apparently... kill me... kill me now).
Oh yes, the mighty Mall of America, over-hyped but obligatory.

I can recommend a drive or 2 to see the countryside while maybe throwing in a few unusual stops. Lotsa interesting spots around town, I can send a list. There are usually fests of some kind going on regularly - music, art, car, whatever. If you know what your exact days are in Mpls/St Paul inside your larger schedule, I'd find something good. And there's always bowling.

I'd pick you up one day around the lunch hr and drive you around if you're up for it, show you a few sites. I'll likely be limited by work schedule, but I'll do what I can. Happy travels!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Take him around Stillwater and Redwing. There are some really nice roads in WI. Like the alphabet roads and around Pepin.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Too bad you are not in Sydney, I am going to australia tomorrow and my car will be just sitting here in Boston we could just swap cars for the week...

As for good drives around Boston, go out around fresh pond. take memorial drive past jfk st headed away from boston. bear left and continue up through there, the streets are really smooth and there are some nice corners. there is even a chicane if you can find it. good fun. I'll try to find a map for you. Of course you have to do this drive around 2am so there are no other drivers around but it is worth it.

·
Registered
311 Posts
from:Unknown road to:Greenough Blvd to:Unknown road to:42.373954,-71.150379 to:Grove St to:MA-2/Memorial Dr/US-3 to:MA-2/Memorial Dr/US-3 - Google Maps

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Unknown+road&daddr=Greenough+Blvd+to:Unknown+road+to:42.373954,-71.150379+to:Grove+St+to:MA-2%2FMemorial+Dr%2FUS-3+to:MA-2%2FMemorial+Dr%2FUS-3&hl=en&geocode=FfpjhgIdil3C-w%3BFcRxhgIdEG7C-w%3BFY-JhgIdLJLC-w%3B%3BFaJwhgIdjGTC-w%3BFauThgIdIqzC-w%3BFV2JhgIdFrrC-w&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=3&sz=14&via=1,2,3,4,5&sll=42.369769,-71.139135&sspn=0.025492,0.071926&ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=42.369769,-71.139135&spn=0.025492,0.071926&output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=embed&saddr=Unknown+road&daddr=Greenough+Blvd+to:Unknown+road+to:42.373954,-71.150379+to:Grove+St+to:MA-2%2FMemorial+Dr%2FUS-3+to:MA-2%2FMemorial+Dr%2FUS-3&hl=en&geocode=FfpjhgIdil3C-w%3BFcRxhgIdEG7C-w%3BFY-JhgIdLJLC-w%3B%3BFaJwhgIdjGTC-w%3BFauThgIdIqzC-w%3BFV2JhgIdFrrC-w&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=3&sz=14&via=1,2,3,4,5&sll=42.369769,-71.139135&sspn=0.025492,0.071926&ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=42.369769,-71.139135&spn=0.025492,0.071926" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
This is supposed to be a pretty fun drive. There's a nice hairpin out of nowhere. It's probably about 2 hours north of Boston though.

The Kanc is fun. I went over to N. Conway on Monday via the Kanc and it was great. Stopped at the Moat Mountain Bewery for some food and a beer. Be sure to give this road a try if you get a chance; it's worth the drive IMO.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Take him around Stillwater and Redwing. There are some really nice roads in WI. Like the alphabet roads and around Pepin.
yes you are right. there are great roads down there and great sites too.
these are some of the best roads i have had my lotus on!

·
Super Moderator
3,113 Posts
from:Unknown road to:Greenough Blvd to:Unknown road to:42.373954,-71.150379 to:Grove St to:MA-2/Memorial Dr/US-3 to:MA-2/Memorial Dr/US-3 - Google Maps

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Unknown+road&daddr=Greenough+Blvd+to:Unknown+road+to:42.373954,-71.150379+to:Grove+St+to:MA-2%2FMemorial+Dr%2FUS-3+to:MA-2%2FMemorial+Dr%2FUS-3&hl=en&geocode=FfpjhgIdil3C-w%3BFcRxhgIdEG7C-w%3BFY-JhgIdLJLC-w%3B%3BFaJwhgIdjGTC-w%3BFauThgIdIqzC-w%3BFV2JhgIdFrrC-w&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=3&sz=14&via=1,2,3,4,5&sll=42.369769,-71.139135&sspn=0.025492,0.071926&ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=42.369769,-71.139135&spn=0.025492,0.071926&output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=embed&saddr=Unknown+road&daddr=Greenough+Blvd+to:Unknown+road+to:42.373954,-71.150379+to:Grove+St+to:MA-2%2FMemorial+Dr%2FUS-3+to:MA-2%2FMemorial+Dr%2FUS-3&hl=en&geocode=FfpjhgIdil3C-w%3BFcRxhgIdEG7C-w%3BFY-JhgIdLJLC-w%3B%3BFaJwhgIdjGTC-w%3BFauThgIdIqzC-w%3BFV2JhgIdFrrC-w&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=3&sz=14&via=1,2,3,4,5&sll=42.369769,-71.139135&sspn=0.025492,0.071926&ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=42.369769,-71.139135&spn=0.025492,0.071926" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>
When I lived in the back bay, I would look forward to the drive along soldiers field road and storrow drive. If it's not rush hour and there's no event going on it's still a fun drive.

from: Gerrys Landing Rd to: 42.363681,-71.070213 - Google Maps

·
Registered
10 Posts
The Kanc is fun. I went over to N. Conway on Monday via the Kanc and it was great. Stopped at the Moat Mountain Bewery for some food and a beer. Be sure to give this road a try if you get a chance; it's worth the drive IMO.
Sweet! I didn't know there was a brewery up there! I'd definitely do that! Where is it?

·
Super Moderator
3,113 Posts
North Conway, NH at the east end of the Kanc.

Moat Mountain Smokehouse and Brewing Co.

It's a regular stop for the local Lotus club. The owner is familiar with the club and coincidentally is a member of this forum.

If that's where you're looking to go you might get people to meet you there or go with you. Hurricane Mountain Road is practically across the street from MM and is a must if twisty roads are your thing.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
North Conway, NH at the east end of the Kanc.

Moat Mountain Smokehouse and Brewing Co.

It's a regular stop for the local Lotus club. The owner is familiar with the club and coincidentally is a member of this forum.

If that's where you're looking to go you might get people to meet you there or go with you. Hurricane Mountain Road is practically across the street from MM and is a must if twisty roads are your thing.

Note that the title "Road" given to Hurricane Mountain Road is mostly symbolic. It's more of a bizarre mountain bike path, but a ton of fun. Any road that's too steep to get out of second gear is crazy.

I didn't know the owner of MM was a member here... didn't get to try their house brew because I found the Allagash White first. Anything similar to Hoegaarden when the weather is warm is always a plus.

·
Super Moderator
3,113 Posts
Allagash White is a personal fav as well. They serve it at Flatbread in Burlington which is convenient in many ways.

Yeah, Steve (weissbrewer on LotusTalk) has been looking for an Elige for a while. Maybe our visits had something to do with it!

·
Registered
327 Posts
I think its time for a Lotus beer run...Shawn we could do that one which was discussed at the NELLI event since that placed seemed pretty quiet but nice. I think you said somewhere around Worcester?

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Allagash White is a personal fav as well.
I had another really good Belgian White with lunch today called Blanche de Bruxelles. Most so-called Belgian Whites are pretty much garbage, nowhere near as tasty as Hoegaarden, and the brewers that market this stuff would strip them of their "Belgian White" title if they had a shred of decency. However, Blanche de Bruxelles is really good IMO. Try it if you see it.

A Lotus beer run would be cool. It's nice to be able to drink beer again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts