The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2011 Lotus Evora
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m still highly considering getting a used Evora but wanted to see if there was any other car people think I should compare it to before buying. My budget is around 40-50k. I’m looking for something that can carry two kids in the back, is fun to drive (coming for a civic so my standards are low), and looks cool. Also would prefer something less common.

Any other ideas that I should cross shop? This will likely be my only splurge car purchase for many years so want to make sure I make the right decision. Part of the fun is shopping around too so wanted to see if there’s anything else I should check out.

·
Less is Better
2,678 Posts
Back seats are the limiter here. I'll list out fun cars with back seats, but not really direct Evora compeditors:

M3 - I don't like BMWs, but they do exist
M2 - I don't like BMWs, but they do exist
WRX - More of a fast budget sedan/hatch but still great fun
BRZ - Very low price, but very high fun/dollar. Useless back seat, just like the Evora
944 Turbo or S2 or 968 - Find a very well preserved old one for your price - this is a true driver's car. I love them.
Infiniti Q60 or an older G37 - The G is a better driver's car, the Q has gotten faster but less involving. The G37 can also be had with a manual and convertible.
Aston Martin DB9 - You'll never drive a car that feels more special than an Aston Martin. Sometimes I sit in my Vantage just to smell the interior. This is a V12 exotic for basically mid range sedan money! Here again, useless back seats.
Jaguar XK - Another one with useless back seats

·
Premium Member
2011 Lotus Evora
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Me73 -- I finally found an Aston Martin DB9 that was local to me and checked it out. Quite a nice car. The one I looked at was a 2005 with 17,000 miles and it looked like a new car. The materials hold up well. The interior was super nice and would fit two small kids in the back.

I prefer the exterior look of the Evora over the DB9, though. The closest aston martin dealer to me is 200 miles away but there's a Lotus dealer in my city. I'm scared off by the potential maintenance of the DB9 as if something goes wrong it seems like it's possible to get a $10k or $20k repair bill. They are nice cars though and if I had a local dealer and could get one of the Aston Martin warranties (sounds like they can cover up to a 10 year old car) I'd be tempted to pick one up.

·
Back to the Future, again
6,187 Posts
Thanks to Doug, you can't get the unlimited bumper to bumper warranty for Aston Martin anymore. The new warranty program for old Aston models are fairly limited so read the fine print carefully.

I was severely tempted to get myself either a DB9 or V8 Vantage before getting my Evora but having researched it and talking to more than 1 trusted shop where I take my cars, I decided against Aston.

It's a bad sign when all the mechanics and friends who have experience tell you to stay away from used Astons.

I also don't like the $5k minimum dealer trips when something goes wrong. That scares me. I'd rather spend that money on a motorcycle to toss around.

·
Less is Better
2,678 Posts
Me73 -- I finally found an Aston Martin DB9 that was local to me and checked it out. Quite a nice car. The one I looked at was a 2005 with 17,000 miles and it looked like a new car. The materials hold up well. The interior was super nice and would fit two small kids in the back.

I prefer the exterior look of the Evora over the DB9, though. The closest aston martin dealer to me is 200 miles away but there's a Lotus dealer in my city. I'm scared off by the potential maintenance of the DB9 as if something goes wrong it seems like it's possible to get a $10k or $20k repair bill. They are nice cars though and if I had a local dealer and could get one of the Aston Martin warranties (sounds like they can cover up to a 10 year old car) I'd be tempted to pick one up.
I'm definitely not going to tell you that your fears aren't justified. Every car is different, some have problems and some don't. Not having a dealer or someone who will work on Astons local would be a problem. I'm lucky in that respect. I won't use the dealer, but there are several exotic mechanics in my area if I run into something that I don't want to handle myself. My Vantage, however, has been EXTREMELY reliable. There are of course horror stories, but most people on the Aston board seem to have reliable cars like me.

Aston was owned by Ford in the mid 2000s and used many Ford, Jag and Volvo parts. Which, for some reason people seem to think is a bad thing but it's absolutely not. As we Lotus owners know, there's no downside to your low volume car using parts that have been tested and proven at high volume. It also makes parts shopping less painful when you know that $500 alternator is actually the same $50 part from a Ford pickup.

The factory Aston warranty can be applied to any car that is less than 10 years old with an inspection and continued on a car with a warranty in perpetuity. If it's older than 10 and doesn't have one already they won't give it one.

Like I said, there's really no nicer place to be than an Aston's interior but there are alot of other alternatives to look at. If it were me, between DB9 and an Evora, I wouldn't even look at the Aston. But I am normally looking for a sports car instead of a GT.

Have you ever driven a 944 or 968? Fantastic driving cars.

·
Less is Better
2,678 Posts
Thanks to Doug, you can't get the unlimited bumper to bumper warranty for Aston Martin anymore. The new warranty program for old Aston models are fairly limited so read the fine print carefully.

I was severely tempted to get myself either a DB9 or V8 Vantage before getting my Evora but having researched it and talking to more than 1 trusted shop where I take my cars, I decided against Aston.

It's a bad sign when all the mechanics and friends who have experience tell you to stay away from used Astons.

I also don't like the $5k minimum dealer trips when something goes wrong. That scares me. I'd rather spend that money on a motorcycle to toss around.
Did the shops you talked to service Astons? They are expensive, there's an Aston tax just like Ferrari and Lamborghini, but they aren't temperamental like the Italians and can be used every day. A resourceful mechanic (or owner) can usually find the Ford equivalent PN and save alot on parts cost. But this is a true exotic car and rich people are used to overpaying for things :)

·
Premium Member
11,891 Posts
Lexus LC

Lexus RC F

BMW 8 Series

·
Registered
288 Posts
I’m still highly considering getting a used Evora but wanted to see if there was any other car people think I should compare it to before buying. My budget is around 40-50k. I’m looking for something that can carry two kids in the back, is fun to drive (coming for a civic so my standards are low), and looks cool. Also would prefer something less common.

Any other ideas that I should cross shop? This will likely be my only splurge car purchase for many years so want to make sure I make the right decision. Part of the fun is shopping around too so wanted to see if there’s anything else I should check out.
I hate to suggest it, but have you checked out the VW golf R? Mighty car mods did a video and I think it was running 10's with all bolt on mods and a tune.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts