The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyway to avoid emission test in az? registering an out of state 05 elise and can do without the hassle of testing

·
2006 Exige
971 Posts
Register it as a collector car. You will also save money with the collector car insurance, but you can only drive it something like 5,000 miles per year.

But it is not a big hassle to test it as long as you still have ODBII and are not showing any error codes.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Register it as a collector car. You will also save money with the collector car insurance, but you can only drive it something like 5,000 miles per year.

But it is not a big hassle to test it as long as you still have ODBII and are not showing any error codes.

Wow 5000 miles is actually quite a lot. Know if CA has this rule too? I would totally register it as a collectible.

·
Premium Member
2,638 Posts
Register it to an address outside a major city. Other than Phoenix and Tucson, no other cities do emission tests. I live in Arizona, a small town, I know.

·
Vroom vroom
507 Posts
Register it to an address outside a major city. Other than Phoenix and Tucson, no other cities do emission tests. I live in Arizona, a small town, I know.
This is correct. Any small town outside the valley will do.

·
Premium Member
2,638 Posts
Get a PO box in bugtussle Arizona, or contact a friend who lives outside the city, and register at his address.

·
Registered
7,332 Posts
How do you register it outside the major city? Just as an example?
Friend, relative, rent a place.

You'll likely need a street address, not a PO box. For obvious reasons.

Point is, your renewal and/or anything else related to you owning the car (such as a speed camera ticket) will be mailed to the address you provide. So it needs to be a real address.

Just an fyi your insurance company generally frowns on this, but I don't know there is much they can do about it. They want to charge you based on the risk, and where the car 'lives' impacts the risk. If you spend most of your time driving it around a higher risk area, and the car actually 'lives' there, but the car is actually registered outside that area, the insurance company could theoretically at worst claim fraud on your part, or simply drop you at least should they find out.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
To play the devil's advocate, why won't it pass inspection? I just moved to VA(rigorous inspection) from MI(zero inspection at all), so I get the annoyance, but if there is anything that won't pass inspection then it shouldn't be on the road either unless you've done something to the emissions system. Inspections are a good way to keep you from procrastinating on various wear items

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Relapsing Honda fan
1,259 Posts
I need to get my Arizona plates taken care of next week, I think I've got the perfect plate figured out. It's the text across the bottom that nails it:

Green Text Font Rectangle Brand

·
Registered
55 Posts
Collector car insurance is a good way to go, just got this on my Esprit I recently purchased OOS and avoided emissions hassle. I went with grundy, and on a 2002 Silver Anniversary, 16K miles, and a nice agreed valuation its costing me $42 a month, that's like half what I pay for my mini, lol.

Jerry

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
Also interested in why you are worried about emissions testing. As long as you have a cat on it and no codes you should be ok. To expand it must pass all ready codes though. I know several people in Cali who pass with aftermarket supercharger kits and they are pretty tough here.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts