The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To start off I have read so many threads about AO48's

This weekend at Mid Ohio on sat. it was a bit rainy and the track was very wet. Anyway, apparently they used asphalt sealer on high traffic areas of the turns which makes them slippery when wet.

My tires have 3 track days an autox and about 3,000 miles on them prior to sat. so although they are not done they are on the way out. Anyway, I was taking it very easy and a turn I usually take at 70mph I took at 35 and spun out which really surprised me. From then on I was going extremely slow and even at slow speeds was getting a knuckle ball feeling in the front with loss of traction and fishtailing in the rear. So I made a point to miss that asphalt and drive around it but frankly the experience sucked and had to let all cars by. A few other loti were in my group and were able to much faster through those sections but they also commented on it being a bit dicey...one had 2 track days the other new tires and about 450 miles to get to the event.

It rained briefly on sunday, so again I got the same feeling so took it slow but it dried out and was able to go full tilt and actually enjoy the experience.

So the questions, how have your experiences with AO48's been in rain on track situations and how many miles or track days before they are greasy in the wet?

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
So the questions, how have your experiences with AO48's been in rain on track situations and how many miles or track days before they are greasy in the wet?
I think the answer is, "It depends." :rolleyes:

At LOG 26 in Texas, we had two track days at Motorsports Ranch - Cresson. The first day began with rain, after a Noah's Ark-style deluge the previous night. A048s were hopeless, and even those cars running AD07s were getting loose and spinning at less-than-street speeds (including those with highly experienced drivers).

It may have been pavement sealer; it may have been oils and Texas dust (nasty stuff ;) ) rising from the surface; the entire track was treacherous until it dried out after the morning sessions. The next day was dry and we had a wonderful experience on a great track.

I thnk that what "it depends" on is a multitude of factors, tire wear and heat cycles among them. The A048s are closer to real race tires than most "ultra high performance" street rubber, so heat cycling and wear are probably larger factors than with others.

With 3 track days, an autocross, and 3,000 miles on yours, they may be close to their useful limits for wet surfaces, but as you noted, others found the tires greasy -- even when new.

FWIW, I use AD07s for track days and get all the performance I feel I need, even having the added boost of a Katana. They seem to be marginally more forgiving -- and longer lasting -- than AD07s...marginally.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts