The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
08 exige s240 going to track day. Can someone help me with the caliper part number or better even a pad shape diagram. Standard Issue Front AP4pot, 2pot rear

has any one tried PFC (performance friction carbon), if so which compounds worked well for you.

Thanks

·
Registered
723 Posts
08 exige s240 going to track day. Can someone help me with the caliper part number or better even a pad shape diagram. Standard Issue Front AP4pot, 2pot rear

has any one tried PFC (performance friction carbon), if so which compounds worked well for you.

Thanks
The caliper is from the CP7600 family.

No stock PFCs for the rear. I can get them made, though. But why bother when Ferodo, Raybestos, and Pagid make perfectly suitable pads in many compunds and are on my shelf? :shrug:

On track, just as with most all street braking systems, heat is a big issue if you threshold brake. :crazyeyes The dust seals and ball joint rubber will melt without ducting. Just keep that in mind. (If you do not experience these issues you are not braking hard enough and are leaving the "door open" for unwanted guest like me!)

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
which pads would you prescribe. Most guys here use pagid.

lots of hard braking on straights into corners. only one or two high speed corners. thanks.

·
Registered
723 Posts
which pads would you prescribe. Most guys here use pagid.

lots of hard braking on straights into corners. only one or two high speed corners. thanks.
Pagid Blacks would be good. So would Ferodo 3000s or Raybestos ST-43s.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for inputs. How are the rotor eating characteristics of the 3 options?

·
Registered
83 Posts
The caliper is from the CP7600 family.

No stock PFCs for the rear. I can get them made, though. But why bother when Ferodo, Raybestos, and Pagid make perfectly suitable pads in many compunds and are on my shelf? :shrug:

On track, just as with most all street braking systems, heat is a big issue if you threshold brake. :crazyeyes The dust seals and ball joint rubber will melt without ducting. Just keep that in mind. (If you do not experience these issues you are not braking hard enough and are leaving the "door open" for unwanted guest like me!)
Just out of curiosity...on S1 Elise Motosport with AP brakes with Mintex pads and Motul 600, which did not have ducting in the front to the brakes. I was quite concerned about this when we were setting up the car, and spoke to Lotus Motosports in UK who really didn't think we needed to do that and in fact thought that it may not even get the brakes up to temp if we did. We left it with out the ducting and ran the car for 5 30 mins sessions per day for 4 days straight and never had any brake issues. We replaced the pads on the 4th day as it had about 10% left. Of course the Motorsport with slight changes from the factory scaled in with me in the car and 1/2 tank of fuel at only 1550 lbs. Is the differences here the nearly 25% higher weight in the S2 Exige and cup cars? Or the higher HP rating generating more speed? At Willow Springs I would top out 14x mph with just enough rear wing so we could be flat through turn 9. We picked up 2-3 mph by taping up all the little gaps and crevices...so we were out of HP against drag for sure. It dyno'd at 183hp to the wheels.

(Note, Lotus Motosport UK also couldn't understand why my oil temp would read 240F in 3 laps out here in California, when I questioned about inadequate cooling system.)

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
Just out of curiosity...on S1 Elise Motosport with AP brakes with Mintex pads and Motul 600, which did not have ducting in the front to the brakes. I was quite concerned about this when we were setting up the car, and spoke to Lotus Motosports in UK who really didn't think we needed to do that and in fact thought that it may not even get the brakes up to temp if we did. We left it with out the ducting and ran the car for 5 30 mins sessions per day for 4 days straight and never had any brake issues. We replaced the pads on the 4th day as it had about 10% left. Of course the Motorsport with slight changes from the factory scaled in with me in the car and 1/2 tank of fuel at only 1550 lbs. Is the differences here the nearly 25% higher weight in the S2 Exige and cup cars? Or the higher HP rating generating more speed? At Willow Springs I would top out 14x mph with just enough rear wing so we could be flat through turn 9. We picked up 2-3 mph by taping up all the little gaps and crevices...so we were out of HP against drag for sure. It dyno'd at 183hp to the wheels.

(Note, Lotus Motosport UK also couldn't understand why my oil temp would read 240F in 3 laps out here in California, when I questioned about inadequate cooling system.)
Don races his (my old Cup240) and is on track for more than 30 minute stints. He also frequents some of the east Coast tracks that are extremely hard on brakes -- some require pulling the car down from 140 to 40 mph, I believe.

Btw, the Cup car oil temps run relatively low....hottest we've seen running in 107F degree ambient temps is ~210F

·
Registered
723 Posts

I don't know much about S1s Cup cars but I do know a little about S2s. Concerning ducting, it could be due to the combination of weight and power differences that ducting is/is not necessary. It all depends on brake temperatures. (Lotus Motorsports -- they told me to duct.)

Without ducts on high speed tracks that require heavy braking I recorded tempertures right around 1280 deg F. I all depends on the track and drivers ability to threshold brake.

(While I was seeing 1280 deg F two of my customers were only seeing around 870.)

·
Registered
723 Posts
thanks for inputs. How are the rotor eating characteristics of the 3 options?
I have found the Ferodos to be the most rotor friendly. Your results may be different.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have found the Ferodos to be the most rotor friendly. Your results may be different.
Please PM me prices for the 3 options, thank you.

·
Registered
660 Posts

You did mean 1550 w/o you in the car, didn't you?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
dmh your inbox is overcapacity!

·
Registered
723 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts