The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried to search for this topic, but did not find anything, so here goes.

I have the standard 2 pot front calipers on my 2007 exige. In 2008 the exige came with the 4 pot AP racing calipers, and 308mm discs. Does anyone know if this is a direct replacement, or if there is any modifications needed (exept for new brakelines)

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Yes,
The 4-pot and larger disks will bolt right on. Just get ready for more expensive pad and rotor changes...

·
He's on fire!
3,407 Posts
Safety? What safety issue? :panic: Plenty of people run these cars hard with the 2pot up front. Are you a pro driver?

Thanks.

Exspenses when it comes to safety is not an issue :cool:

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
If it is a "kit" that you are buying, then it just bolt right on. Otherwise, there is an aluminum adapter plate that need to go between the caliper and the upright.

·
Registered
7,350 Posts
Yes the stock set up is awesome, will out brake about anything with doors.

I've heard that the main advantage of a larger system is fade resistance. Is there any data out there that these flashy looking brake set ups improve performance? I'd think it would some, but i wonder how much.

I love showing people the stock rear calipers, how small they are. It's a Lotus thing. With light weight you don't need huge brake hardware to have awesome braking performance.

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
I have the 308mm brakes on my S240 and fading is no issue. At all.

however, if you are going for no fade, hard core brakes, take a look at these?

·
Registered
978 Posts
As others have said if it is a kit then direct bolt. Otherwise you need the adapter plate. Changing the brake lines on the Exige requires front clam removal.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have gotten confirmation from Eliseparts, that it is a direct bolt on, so the order is placed.

I am not a pro driver, but i use my Exige mainly for trackdays, an are atleast at Nürburgring and Spa Francorchamps once a year.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I thought that all 2-Elevens came with the 308-mm discs and 4-pot calipers... :shrug:

Nope... arguably with the weight of the car why would you even need them? I've installed the 4-pots on a 2-11 for a customer as an upgrade but I don't think it was worth the $$$..

·
Registered
444 Posts
I think some of the later model 2 elevens came with 4pots . Circa >2009
IMO the brakes are well worth the investment , not only are they are a lot stronger allowing later braking but pedal feel is enhanced .
They are very confidence inspiring brakes .
I found the OEM brakes were fine to a point but after a few laps and a bit of heat the performance dropped off , especially into heavy braking zones .
The BBK solved that problem.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I think some of the later model 2 elevens came with 4pots . Circa >2009
IMO the brakes are well worth the investment , not only are they are a lot stronger allowing later braking but pedal feel is enhanced .
They are very confidence inspiring brakes .
I found the OEM brakes were fine to a point but after a few laps and a bit of heat the performance dropped off , especially into heavy braking zones .
The BBK solved that problem.
Is that on a 211 or an Elige?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So today this was dropped off at my doorstep, from Eliseparts.

Regarding the installation of the brakes, how many Nm do i torque the front calipper mounting bolts to, and do they require locktite? And does anyone know if it is possibile to change the brakelines in front, without removing the whole clam?

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
Some claim it's possible to change the lines without pulling the clamshell. I had mine done when the clam was off.

San

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
So today this was dropped off at my doorstep, from Eliseparts.

Regarding the installation of the brakes, how many Nm do i torque the front calipper mounting bolts to, and do they require locktite? And does anyone know if it is possibile to change the brakelines in front, without removing the whole clam?

33ft/lbs on the caliper bolts, a little locktite blue wouldn't hurt.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yes the stock set up is awesome, will out brake about anything with doors.

I've heard that the main advantage of a larger system is fade resistance. Is there any data out there that these flashy looking brake set ups improve performance? I'd think it would some, but i wonder how much.

I love showing people the stock rear calipers, how small they are. It's a Lotus thing. With light weight you don't need huge brake hardware to have awesome braking performance.
You're absolutely right. with the weight advantage of the lotus, you don't need huge brakes to slow the car since it carries such little inertia anyway.

Bigger calipers do very little for improved braking feel aside from being able to run larger pads. Their usefulness is in how many pistons they carry. The higher the number of pistons, the better the pressure distribution over the pad which results in a more consistent pedal feel and better pad life.

Rotor size however does increase braking. The larger the rotor and the further away your pad is from the center of the rotor, the more torque you apply to stop the car.

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
Yes...the larger discs give you more braking torque, but so do larger pistons in the calipers. The disc is the heat-sink on the system. All of your braking energy goes into the brake disc. The larger (mass now) the more single stop braking energy it can absorb. Also, the larger the disc, the better it sheds heat...it works just like a squirrel-cage fan. So there is a fair number of variables that need to be balanced out here... optimizing all of them is the art. That is why APRacing offers large(er), massive discs and large(er) lighter discs... But larger discs will always get you better braking performance from several aspects. And some of those aspects are not that obvious.

I've got 308s on my Cup260, I'm going to 315s for the aforementioned reasons.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts