The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,598 Posts
Looking for a used set of front AP calipers for 07 Exige.
This is the parts for sale section, so you probably won't get much of a response here. Moving this to the correct section.

San

·
Registered
604 Posts
Buy them new here. Cost you less than whats being asked for used fronts, Just sayin (left and right listed below)

Attachments

·
He's on fire!
3,255 Posts
It's worth pointing out that stock calipers have 44mm pistons, 5317 41.3mm, and 5316 38.1mm

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
If you install this on the front only the bias will be off. I ended up installing on the rear too to get better braking control (on the track). Be prepared to spend more $$. But you will out brake almost anyone on the track.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's worth pointing out that stock calipers have 44mm pistons, 5317 41.3mm, and 5316 38.1mm

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I noticed that BOE offers the cp5316 with the smaller 38.1mm piston, I assume to better balance brake bias front to rear. I'm concerned that the 44mm piston in the rear may be too much grip, even with less aggressive pads. Perhaps someone can shed their actual experience with this? I am not doing track, only SCCA autocross, but obviously want proper brake bias front to rear.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Buy them new here. Cost you less than whats being asked for used fronts, Just sayin (left and right listed below)
Thanks for the info about TMS motorsports source. I noticed that Eliseparts also sells the OEM 44mm piston front calipers. Any one have any experience with ether TMS or Eliseparts?

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,598 Posts
What would be the "correct section?" Can you do that for me please? Thanks
This one, that I moved this thread to previously, per my post above.

San

·
Registered
605 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thanks for the info about TMS motorsports source. I noticed that Eliseparts also sells the OEM 44mm piston front calipers. Any one have any experience with ether TMS or Eliseparts?
I got my CP5317 calipers from TMS a couple of years ago. Price is much more reasonable direct from the UK, especially since the pound dropped a few years ago (remember to pay in British Pounds, using a credit card which DOESN'T charge a foreign currency processing fee), but you may pay slightly more for shipping. TMS was great to work with, but if AP doesn't have them in stock, you could end up waiting 3-6 months for AP to getting around to manufacture them (I don't imagine that they are a high-volume/high-demand item anywhere). This will not be TMS' fault, so if you want it (and the pound looks low), order them NOW.

I have the 41.3mm in the rear and the stock 44mm on the front, and it definitely decreases stopping distances (with the right pads) drastically. Bias is a bit rearward (mostly noticeable when braking hard on a downhill), but adjusted that by going one brake pad softer on the rear. If you go the 38.1mm rears, you will remain with a somewhat forward bias (you can also get these from TMS). I don't know why but the 38.1mm CP5316s are always more expensive than the 41.3mm CP5317s.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Fireball. Do you recall cost of shipping? Time to receive from TMS?

Anyone out there have experience with cp5316 with the 38mm pistons regarding brake bias?
p.s. 44mm front and rear will be too much rearward bias. Having to compensate too much with much softer rear pads is not the best way to go.

·
Premium Member
541 Posts

Anyone out there have experience with cp5316 with the 38mm pistons regarding brake bias?
I ordered mine mid December and still waiting. It will be at least 8 weeks for the 5316. shipping is about $50.

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
93 Posts
I ran 38mm ap calipers last year on track and really liked them.
I have a brake bias cage to make small adjustments but it's set pretty neutral

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
Which pads do you run, and are they the same front and rear.

·
Registered
86 Posts
When I ordered them in 2018, shipping was £48. It took AP 5 months to make them (they were completely out of stock), but once TMS received them, they arrived within a couple of days.

BTW, they are available in black or red. You might want to ask if one color or the other is in stock at the distributor...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just purchased the AP Racing cp5316 calipers with the 38.1mm piston rather than the usual 44mm piston from BOE for the rear. Was impressed with how quickly I received them, like 3 days. Just couldn't wait for TMS motorsports to source them. I am also interested in what pads you are using front and rear to address the brake bias issue? Thanks.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I got my CP5317 calipers from TMS a couple of years ago. Price is much more reasonable direct from the UK, especially since the pound dropped a few years ago (remember to pay in British Pounds, using a credit card which DOESN'T charge a foreign currency processing fee), but you may pay slightly more for shipping. TMS was great to work with, but if AP doesn't have them in stock, you could end up waiting 3-6 months for AP to getting around to manufacture them (I don't imagine that they are a high-volume/high-demand item anywhere). This will not be TMS' fault, so if you want it (and the pound looks low), order them NOW.

I have the 41.3mm in the rear and the stock 44mm on the front, and it definitely decreases stopping distances (with the right pads) drastically. Bias is a bit rearward (mostly noticeable when braking hard on a downhill), but adjusted that by going one brake pad softer on the rear. If you go the 38.1mm rears, you will remain with a somewhat forward bias (you can also get these from TMS). I don't know why but the 38.1mm CP5316s are always more expensive than the 41.3mm CP5317s.
What pads do you run front and rear with the 5317s? Are you mostly street, track, or AutoX? I just ordered a set and I'm trying to figure out which pads to run for a mixed street and track car. Thought about RC6 up front and RC5+ in the rear, but I'm really not sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts