The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, really enjoying the '95. It's all the difference in the world from the '84. It's like going from a, well... an '84 to a '95. Anyway, I've noticed something when I mash the accelerator pedal, in maybe 3rd and 4th gear. It "over-revs", if that's the correct term. Sort of like a car does when the clutch slips. You know, when the accelerator is applied and the engine revs up, but you don't really gain any speed. The car doesn't really lurch forward, but the engine revs a little, then you sorta have to back off and let it catch back up. Usually means a clutch replacement is on the horizon. Well, it doesn't really act that way, but if I'm in 3rd or 4th and want to blast by that Mustang (pretty much the slowest car ever made), when I mash the accelerator quickly, the car picks up, but then the engine sort of revs up. If I back off, it'll "catch up" and if I don't try to slam the accelerator to the floor, but sort of gently and evenly depress it, the car does take off with no "over-revving" at all. It will take off like a scalded dog. Now, I know it's NOT a slipping clutch. I have owned manual transmission cars all my life (and I'm pretty old). I've experienced bad slave cylinders, worn clutch plates, bad hydraulic lines, etc... so I'm familiar with clutch problems. This is not a slipping clutch. Anyone ever experience this before? Does it have something to do with the '95s (or really just later models)? Did they add something. I know it's not a rev limiter, 'cause the car DOES seem to over rev. Well "over rev" may not be the correct term. It doesn't red line, just revs up.
Thanks

·
Registered
667 Posts
Shot in the dark here - could be your tires? I had some Pirelli P-Zeros on my Esprit when I bought it that had lots of tread but had almost no traction at all (very dry and cracked).

Whenever I would hit the gas the revs would go up but no go.

Got some Michelin PS2s and now there is lots of grip.

·
Registered
860 Posts
sounds like a clutch on the way out.

BTW, what out what mustangs you pick on. You can easily be VERY embarrassed by a mustang. There isn't a car on the planet with more available engine mods than a mustang. You never know if you're running up against a stocker with a set of flowmasters or a serious street machine with HUGE horsepower. Down here in florida, it's not uncommon to see "street" mustangs than can run 9s in the quarter mile.

·
Registered
320 Posts
^ +1 Clutch cant deal with the torque.

My 1983 Esprit started to do exactly the same when I added the intercooler and raised the boost.

The clutch would be fine in every gear until I had it in 5th and would accelerate.

New clutch and cover solved the prob.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
sounds like a clutch on the way out.

BTW, what out what mustangs you pick on. You can easily be VERY embarrassed by a mustang. There isn't a car on the planet with more available engine mods than a mustang. You never know if you're running up against a stocker with a set of flowmasters or a serious street machine with HUGE horsepower. Down here in florida, it's not uncommon to see "street" mustangs than can run 9s in the quarter mile.
I agree here - the symptom certainly points to a clutch getting tired. Not 100% but the first thing to happen to a worn clutch is slippage. I realize the OP says it isnt the clutch.... maybe not. I dunno.

Agreed on the Mustangs - They dont "do" anything for me at all but its hard to argue with their performance figures. And, yeah, most guys throw $2K worth of Summit racing parts on the to make them faster. That being said, a well-running S4 Esprit outta be able to keep up with most Mustangs out there.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's not the clutch or else the high revs would do it in all five gears. Tyres aren't spinning, so I don't think it's them. I just thought maybe I was driving it wrong or something. As far as the Mustangs go; bring 'em on. My particular S4 has a modified dual exhaust and is kicking out 300HP. BUT....... whether a mustang (and I've owned one-sorry to say) has everything it needs to make it outrun any car on the road......it's still just a mustang. No "wow" factor what-so-ever. Kinda ugly, too. Like family sedan.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Well something is slipping and if it's not the tires it has to be the clutch. Don't worry, if you keep driving it and it is the clutch, it WILL be slipping in all of the gears soon. Next time it happens pull the emergency brake. If it is the tires that will stop the motor. If it doesn't stop the motor it is the clutch. This assumes the emergency brake is working and is evenly set for both wheels. Try it in a safe place away from anyone or anything. Or you can try it on jackstands.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
860 Posts
I would think it would be pretty easy to tell if the tires are slipping. You'd have to have a pretty serious Esprit to break the tires loose from a 3rd gear punch! I'd estimate that you'd need to be upwards of 600 hp (at the crank). So, you should likely cross tire slippage off the list.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm... OK, so what I understand then is it can be slipping in one or two gears, but as it deteriorates, it'll eventually move to all gears. OK, then I'll see what happens. I thought maybe the "dump valve" on the turbo might be prematurely kicking in. Funny, of all the clutched cars I've owned (and it's been a butt load) I've never had a faulty clutch act in this manner.

·
Registered
667 Posts
You'd have to have a pretty serious Esprit to break the tires loose from a 3rd gear punch!
Well I am not sure about this instance (clutch sounds more likely), but in my case it was happening with my stock V8 in at least gears 1-3. Not even at the shifts either - I could be steadily accelerating and when the turbos would kick in the tires would just let go (and the revs would shoot up like driving on snow).

The tires were VERY brittle and hard with cracks along all of the edges, even though they had a ton of tread left. Think about when you find an old pencil and the eraser is harder than rock - that is what the tires were like. At least until I got some properly soft and grippy rubber back on there. :)

·
Registered
860 Posts
espree,

If you had rock hard tires, that would be a different story I suppose. most 18" tires in a 275 or wider width are going to be pretty soft, for the most part.

I've had some pretty fast cars over the years, and breaking the tires loose from an 80 mph roll (dry conditions) is quite a feat! I had a Vortech supercharged Mustang Cobra back in the mid/late 90s that could do it, but that car had over 550 rwhp and 4.10:1 gears with 315 rubber in the back.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Hmm... OK, so what I understand then is it can be slipping in one or two gears, but as it deteriorates, it'll eventually move to all gears.
exactly,

the higher gears have less torque multiplication and put a higher load on the clutch. 4th gear in a typical 5 speed manual is usually a 1:1 ratio and has to torque multiplication effect. 5th (overdrive) gear is actually a torque reducer ( a mechanical disadvantage). those 2 gears will show a slipping clutch before the other gears.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I've had some pretty fast cars over the years, and breaking the tires loose from an 80 mph roll (dry conditions) is quite a feat!
Agreed, I don't think it was ever at that high of a speed. But those tires were more like plastic so it definitely happened quite a bit at lower speeds! Mostly second gear with full boost I would say.

Your mustang must have been a beast to do that with good rubber on dry pavement!

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
Most likely clutch and btw +1000 for quadcam you never know whats out there! The esprit and the elige are both slow compared to similar performance cars with available aftermarket. Hell for$100 I made my dsm 350 hp and at 2500 lbs you can guess? Never discount another car as it is in the eye of the beholder.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Clutch

Clutch is going.

:sad:

In my experience it starts with the high gears. First slipping is in 5 typically, and then it works down if you let it go that far.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Ditto on the clutch. I have a '94 S4. Had that symptom only in 5th gear---it WAS the clutch slipping, so I called JAE, they have an upgrade that can take the power.

·
Registered
75 Posts
+1 on the clutch. The same thing is happening in my Evo when I come on boost. It only happened in 5th, now it's down to 3rd gear and up.

I've had 3 Mustangs and the last one was a Cobra which would easily walk most performance cars out there. Beware of the Stallions and Snakes you see out there..

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've had 3 Mustangs and the last one was a Cobra which would easily walk most performance cars out there. Beware of the Stallions and Snakes you see out there..
Except a 'Vette.

·
Registered
102 Posts
My determination of a "slipping clutch" would be to put the car in third gear and at low RPM cruise "mash the gas" and if the revs quickly increased then I know the clutch is on its way out.

Good luck,

Jeff

1 - 20 of 22 Posts