The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a novice stock investor by anybody's yardstick But I'm wondering if any brokers on this site can give an opinion on this. I'm aware it's just rumor & speculation riight now but it might make some sense for an Apple aquisition even though Apple historically likes to hang onto thier cash. Is it worh picking up some Yahoo stock (sitting at around $15.40 right now)?

Or is this just industry smoke?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The rumor and speculation came out of Palm Beach a few months ago and has resurfaced, no doubt with the release of the new i-Pad. With Steve Jobs vowing before he passed to go "Thermonuclear" on Android, apple may seek to aquire someone like Yahoo as part of the strategy. Yahoo does own hundreds of valuable, defensable technology patents covering mobile apps and social networking. Yahoo also has good, concise and easy to digest financial reports and information. Apple and Yahoo would be a complementary merger of technologies. Apple-hardware and Yahoo - software. An Apple managment might see it making sense in spite of the $30 billion it would probably cost.

There are a few others that I can see being interested in Yahoo as well. I'm thinking of grabbing some Yahoo right now. It's been a steady if not spectacular performer over the las while but it would take a major player like Apple becomming interested to make it go nuts. With the rumors still floating around the mabey its worth the buy ....??????

I'm interested to know what any knowledgeable people in this forum might think.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
anyone that will have any real info will not comment here (or at least they should not be).

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wasn't looking for any "insider" type stuff did dream I'd get any. I was hoping there would be other LTers that invest and have more time in the market to have an opinion. LT has a pretty wide demographic and I guess I was hoping for some guidance or pointing out something I hadn't considered. Just trying to do due dilligence.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I wasn't looking for any "insider" type stuff did dream I'd get any. I was hoping there would be other LTers that invest and have more time in the market to have an opinion. LT has a pretty wide demographic and I guess I was hoping for some guidance or pointing out something I hadn't considered. Just trying to do due dilligence.
From Feb...

Why Apple Should Buy Yahoo! - Forbes

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Purchase will not be approved by the Government. Apple is going through congressional investigation right now over private information being harvested by "approved" apps. This violates an agreement they had in place in order to perform their last acquisition. It may happen in a year or two when things blow over with congress, but not anytime soon. This horse is *very* dead for now.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Talked to others over the weekend. Thanks Wexler for the point to Forbes I hadn't seen that. I went ahead with a purchase of Yahoo. (cash, not on margin) and I'm going to forget about them. I think Yahoo will be a target by Apple, or Facebook sometime down the road and the Yahoo stock is right now, in my opinion a good deal so it's worth a purchase of a couple of hundred shares to sit on for a while. I think in the short term I'll see a small return and if Yahoo becomes the target I think it will then the invenstment will double or triple almost overnight.

It may be that Apple can't aquire Yahoo for the reasons Addertooth mentions but that may push Facebook into an aquistition mode for Yahoo, perhaps almost as a "prevent" defense.

Yahoo up this morning. (not by much though)

·
Registered
561 Posts
Talked to others over the weekend. Thanks Wexler for the point to Forbes I hadn't seen that. I went ahead with a purchase of Yahoo. (cash, not on margin) and I'm going to forget about them. I think Yahoo will be a target by Apple, or Facebook sometime down the road and the Yahoo stock is right now, in my opinion a good deal so it's worth a purchase of a couple of hundred shares to sit on for a while. I think in the short term I'll see a small return and if Yahoo becomes the target I think it will then the invenstment will double or triple almost overnight.

It may be that Apple can't aquire Yahoo for the reasons Addertooth mentions but that may push Facebook into an aquistition mode for Yahoo, perhaps almost as a "prevent" defense.

Yahoo up this morning. (not by much though)
Talk about paying it forward: I was turned on to Ritholtz's blog through lotustalk...I hit it every morning now...I suggest you do the same...

Read this:

Why Apple Should Grab Twitter | The Big Picture

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
To badly mix metaphors... Now that Apple is in the pickle, it would be a great time for Microsoft to cock-block apple by making pre-emptive purchases of potential "future" Apple acquisitions.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts