The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently on the edge of my hair-trigger buying button to pick up an APR wing for my 07 Exige S.

I was really trying to be the no-wing guy. I even removed the OEM wing because I just don't like it (and it doesn't actually do anything except add weight).

I track maybe a couple times a year at NOLA which has a straight where I can reach 120-130mph, with mostly tight <50mph turns. Beyond that, it is all street presence. I was going for subtle-menace, with no wing, side skirts, custom diffuser, top-exit exhaust, etc. All the beef was down low. But it feels TOO subtle without the wing.

I considered the Reverie wings for a no-drill option but, like the OEM wing it really won't do much AND it costs 2 kidneys, but I only have one.

So those of you who followed this path and chose the APR wing....any regrets? Anything I should look out for? I will be doing the install myself as it looks pretty straightforward.

TIA!

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
The Reverie tailgate mounted wing (stock location) provides ample downforce.
It has adjustments for angle of attack.
The stock wing provides needed downforce to a much lesser extend as well. At speeds over 80mph either wing makes the car much more stable than without. I have tried both ways using both stock and Reverie.

The stock Reverie wing used with larger endplates and a gurney flap
would be even better. The previous owner drilled additional holes into
the carbon mounting locations to increase downforce.

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Not able to get enough front downforce to be able to utilize a lot of what the wing can provide.

Great piece of kit though. Love ours.

44C930F7-FD4D-4EAA-86AD-017CF7B502DC.jpg

David, in the rear, had one as well.

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,384 Posts
Not able to get enough front downforce to be able to utilize a lot of what the wing can provide.

Great piece of kit though. Love ours.

View attachment 1228066

David, in the rear, had one as well.
Hard to tell, but doesn't look like much of a front splitter.

San

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
That one was not. We tried another, and dive planes as well.

81469EC3-A963-4FEB-9FCC-24B7E8A2D711.jpg

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Follow up, completed my APR APC-200 install yesterday! Love how this all went together! Thanks to Greg at GRP for the hook up on the wing!

Question: how many ft pounds are you all putting on the small nuts that secure the base stands' studs to the clam? I kept it light...around 15 ft pounds probably, just enough to get a secure grip with the self-locking nut. I went a little further with the center bolt that secures through the u-bracket.

I am so worried about cracking the clam, even with the little rubber pads in use (I also added washers to distribute the load of the nuts on the underside of the clam).

Everything feels secure. I will check it often, of course, since it is a new install. But I am interested to hear how much torque others put on these and if they find they need to be tightened often?

In my mind, it would be ideal to extend the studs and the center bolt for the u-bracket and APR should provide a flat/slightly curved metal bracket to sandwich the clam completely. I suppose my added washers accomplish the same thing but I just really hate tightening such a small pressure point onto the fiberglass. Thinking about when the car hits bumps, etc. How does that vibration translate through to the clam?

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts