The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a track event on Summit Point's Shenandoah circuit on Saturday April 4 that some of you may be interested in. The DC region of the SCCA is putting it on - here is the flyer: http://www.wdcr-scca.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=vSMRl7hjDoo=&tabid=96&mid=2748

They call this a PDX (Performance Driving eXperience) but it is a similar format as a High Performance Driving Event/School that other clubs do. The cool thing is that after you get some PDX events under your belt the SCCA then has time trials that you can compete in on the track, what they call "Club Trials" which are actually being held the next day on Sunday April 5th. More details here: Time Trials/PDX

I may be instructing on the 4th, hope to see some other Loti there.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
How much $$ is it??

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Entry fees

How much $$ is it??
It is $225 for the Saturday PDX.

If you are more advanced and want to compete in the Club Trial on Sunday, it is $175 just for Sunday or $365 for both days combined.

These are the same guys who run the very successful DC region SCCA autocross events at FedEx Field, so they always put on a well organized and safe event.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
The site says it is one car on the track at a time. Is that how it works for the PDX as well as the time trial?

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Is it W2W for the time trial? that would be awesome!! :D

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The site says it is one car on the track at a time. Is that how it works for the PDX as well as the time trial?
The Club Trial format is one car at a time during the competition portion, it is not W2W racing. During the practice sessions, there are other cars on track but the usual PDX passing zone rules apply. The PDX has many cars on the track at a time, but it is an "educational event" and not a competition, so passing is permitted only in designated passing zones with a point bye. Both are super fun, but I really love time trials. It's like qualifying for a race: you have a few laps to let it all hang out and get your best time in. Fastest lap wins.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Tech Insp/Requirements for entrance, or done on-site/at gate? Approved Helmet, and min of 4pt ASM's or 5/6pt harnesses, or is this a "street" event - all comers/all classes?

TIA.
Looks like fun! :up:

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tech Insp/Requirements for entrance, or done on-site/at gate? Approved Helmet, and min of 4pt ASM's or 5/6pt harnesses, or is this a "street" event - all comers/all classes?
I self tech my car and fill out the provided tech sheet before the event and then they check a few simple things in the pre-grid like helmets and brake lights. Normal 3pt belts are fine, but like you I use 4pt w/ASM. These rules apply for both the PDX and the Club Trial. Basically any car will be eligible, and if you are doing the Sunday Club Trial with your car I can tell you that you are in the A Street Modified class (the base class in SCCA for an Exige S). As my car stands right now it is in Super Stock (the base class for an Elise), but maybe not for long. ;)

Bob, I'm planning to go, but if I don't see you guys there I'll catch you at the next event. I'll keep posting events of interest to the group and maybe we can get a bunch of us to go together.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Ok. It would be nice to plan some events as a group. Anyone doing track day at LOG ?
I am. My son will share the car also.
Bob

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok. It would be nice to plan some events as a group. Anyone doing track day at LOG ?
I am. My son will share the car also.
Bob
I may go down to Barber for the NASA event that weekend, do some of the LOG events and then the Lotus Track day on Monday. This assumes that my shop is still willing to trailer the car down... its a long way to Birmingham. Hope to see some locals there too!

·
Registered
476 Posts
I did a little digging around for this and was wondering if this is a good event for the non track people like myself? I see the green class all has instructors but I didn't see anything about what the "classroom" teaches. I'm considering the Lotus Driving School later this year because it covers a myriad of things over 2 days (skidpad, heel toe, lifting, etc) to give you an example.

I am an avid Autocrosser but never tracked so basically going out of second gear is new to me :)

And I also assume that a stock Elise (no rollcage, exstinguisher, hans, harness, etc) is ok based off your response to Scrumpot. Correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Scott, LOG is only about 11 hr drive. I am leaving Thu. night and will stay at my son's place in Blackcksburg. He can put a few people up. Sorry for off topic. Barber is a great track . Try and meet up for the drive.
Bob

·
Registered
192 Posts
Jimmyhoffa. I have not been to this SCCSA event. I can tell you that track time will teach you amazing things about your car and your talents. It can be quite humbling.Most instructors are very helpful. Drive at your speed comfort, do not worry about anyone else. Stay out of the way. Have fun.
Bob

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did a little digging around for this and was wondering if this is a good event for the non track people like myself? I see the green class all has instructors but I didn't see anything about what the "classroom" teaches. I'm considering the Lotus Driving School later this year because it covers a myriad of things over 2 days (skidpad, heel toe, lifting, etc) to give you an example.

I am an avid Autocrosser but never tracked so basically going out of second gear is new to me :)

And I also assume that a stock Elise (no rollcage, exstinguisher, hans, harness, etc) is ok based off your response to Scrumpot. Correct me if I'm wrong.
I think this is a good event for a track novice because the SCCA doesn't screw around when it comes to your safety. If you've done SCCA autocrosses before, you know that they are very good about initiating novices. Instructors are also good, passing rules are enforced, tech is taken seriously, etc. Honestly I think you should just go for it and get some seat time before the Lotus Driving School so that you can utilize that time to figure out how to fine tune your approach to this particular car. (BTW, I love Spring Mountain... but I did it in a Radical :D)

Like you I was an autocrosser before I started doing track events, I therefore assume you are pretty familiar with how our cars handle by now as well as the basics of braking, apexing... so its time to try to apply those skills while using 3rd and 4th gears ;)

Yes you are go to go with a stock Elise.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Thanks all for the info! I have an Autox in Bowie on the 4th but just may cancel that for this :)

·
Registered
192 Posts
I am sighned up. Anyone else?. It is on a Sat. The most fun day of the week.The best. No excuses for haveing to work.
I always feel guilty and need to take office call's at FATT. Plus it is a club event. Got to be fun even with the usual SCCA I'm in charge guys.(That's a joke, I was a member for a long time.)
Bob

·
Registered
476 Posts
I am going to sign up tonight (unless my better half says otherwise :wallbang:). My friend with a G35 will also be signing up. I am definitely looking forward to life beyond 2nd gear rotfl

·
Registered
476 Posts
Scott,

A friend wants to attend as well but doesn't have his own helmet. Does he need one or are there any available there for rent/communal use?

2nd question: Do jeans apply as cotton?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Scott,

A friend wants to attend as well but doesn't have his own helmet. Does he need one or are there any available there for rent/communal use?

2nd question: Do jeans apply as cotton?
I'm nearly certain this SCCA region always has free loaner helmets available for use - they always have a dozen or so at all the autocrossees anyway - but I'll ask the event steward and get back to you.

Jeans are what most folks wear.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts