The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2005 Elise, Ardent Red. 200 Miles. Sport, Touring, and StarShield. Sold with Certificate of Origin and untitled (You will be the first actual owner on paper).

The car was bought from Fox Valley and I just don't like the car and my wife doesn't want to drive it.

There are about 90 pictures of it at http://www.slantback.com/ click on "2005 Lotus Elise".

First buyer with a deposit @ $48,500 takes the car.

The car is located in Sarasota FL.

Cheers,

-Ben

·
Registered
2005 elise touring ardent red
614 Posts
what was your price including tax?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not entirely sure without being at the office and looking at the window sticker again. The price I paid was the Lotus MSRP + StarShield ($995), Touring ($?), Sport (?), the $775 destination charge, and another $1200 to ship it to my home in Florida, and then an additional $2000 above MSRP to Fox Valley.

The folks at the office took care of the payment for the car, but I think all in all I have a few dollars over $50k "in the car".

I have not paid sales tax as I have not registred nor titled the car. I have another vehicle being picked up on Tuesday so I'm pretty anxious to get this car into a new owners garage. There's no more room even with a 3-car garage. <G>

Cheers,

-Ben

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SOLD. Went for $48,600 to a gentleman in Montgomery, AL. Found customer through eBay auction.

Market seems soft for selling an Elise, then again it's winter. :)

-Ben

·
Registered
970 Posts
ben, you are very fortunate to get that price w/out hardtop...cars selling for msrp from the dealer now...mkt is soft.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I'm a little torn about all this 'market is softening stuff.' I'm curious what the actual market is, quite honestly, since I have a car to sell. My main goal is to at least break even on the sale, and hopefully do better. (It would be nice to get something for having thousands tied up waiting for a car all this time, at least). Anyway, I know the local dealer here (east coast) just sold its last three cars that were unspoken for at $5K over MSRP. So, is it really softening? And I guess I'm not convinced that Ebay is an adequate measurement given my previous experience with 4 different cars on Ebay over the last 4 years.

For the record, (if it wasn't clear enough from what I stated above and what I've posted in the past) I'm hoping that my car goes to someone who will appreciate it, more than anything, while allowing me to get the hardtop I planned on in the first place. ;) (The car we ordered second had the hardtop option, but I couldn't resist taking the first car - even though it was what YELOTUS wanted and not my options, and even after he decided on the C6 - when it came in in August. And I refuse to pay an outrageous amount of money for a hardtop.)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's winter. As long as people still want the Elise in April or May next year, you will be fine for selling the car. Trying hard to "break even" is something that gets someone in trouble for any financial transaction. Break-even and market value are usually far from each other....

I had to fight for the $48,600. It wasn't a simple transaction. In the end it took a lot of combing for the right buyer who just wanted it right then and there and didnt want to wait.

Again though, the upper half of the USA is in winter, nobody wants an Elise up there right now. It'll get better unless demand tapers off for the car in whole.

-Ben

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
LNZ_YELO said:
And I refuse to pay an outrageous amount of money for a hardtop.)
I understand not wanting to pay too much for something but you can buy a hardtop painted at Lotus UK to match your car for $2,315. If you have to pay sales tax on an Elise to get a hardtop at $1,475 and then have to try and resell the car and deal with all of that hassle. It seems that there is a very big downside potential to try and save $840. You could end up with a $5K hardtop:eek:

Good luck with that:)

Let us know how much does cost you in the end some of us have been following your hardtop saga for some time and we want to know how it ends :)

·
Registered
538 Posts
I'll keep you posted. ;) If all else fails, we may just have to keep 2 Elises 'til springtime. :clap: (And I thought I just saw someone pay lots more than $2300 for a hardtop through the dealer.)

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
LNZ_YELO said:
I'm a little torn about all this 'market is softening stuff.' I'm curious what the actual market is, quite honestly, since I have a car to sell. My main goal is to at least break even on the sale, and hopefully do better. (It would be nice to get something for having thousands tied up waiting for a car all this time, at least). Anyway, I know the local dealer here (east coast) just sold its last three cars that were unspoken for at $5K over MSRP. So, is it really softening? And I guess I'm not convinced that Ebay is an adequate measurement given my previous experience with 4 different cars on Ebay over the last 4 years.

I'm in agreement with you. Especially here in the mid-atl region.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
LNZ_YELO said:
: (And I thought I just saw someone pay lots more than $2300 for a hardtop through the dealer.)
I placed an order for mine last week at $2,315 and that is the Lotus list price for the factory painted hardtop.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
LNZ_YELO said:
I'll keep you posted. ;) If all else fails, we may just have to keep 2 Elises 'til springtime. :clap: (And I thought I just saw someone pay lots more than $2300 for a hardtop through the dealer.)
If it is not too late to back out of that car I would think twice...

I don't know if it is possible but you might ask your dealer to sell you the hardtop from that car for what ever amount you can agree on.

I hope it all works out for you:)

·
Registered
538 Posts
Patricko said:

I don't know if it is possible but you might ask your dealer to sell you the hardtop from that car for what ever amount you can agree on.
Yeah, that was the first thing I tried. No such luck. Oh, well...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts