The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm curious if the doors on the Esprit are from the same mold since the Giugaro Edition?
Forward of both side mirrors I can see 3 holes that are of course filled.
It is difficult to spot but they are there.
What did the factory fill them with?

·
Super Moderator
4,044 Posts
I'm curious if the doors on the Esprit are from the same mold since the Giugaro Edition?
Forward of both side mirrors I can see 3 holes that are of course filled.
It is difficult to spot but they are there.
What did the factory fill them with?
No - the Stevens Esprit was made using the VARI (Vacuum Assisted Resin Injection) process while the Giugiaro Esprit was hand-laid fiberglass.

The molds are different. The door glass I have heard is the same between G and S Esprit. The rest of the glass (including the windshield and top) are different.

The 3 holes for the side mirror - I've been told that different holes depending on which country. Not sure what was the filler for unused holes.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,101 Posts
I can see the filled-in holes for the ROW (Rest of World) mirror location on my '88, as well.

The filler has shrunk which is why you can see 'em. They aren't DEFECTS, they are IDIOSYNCRASIES.

idiosyncrasy - definition of idiosyncrasy by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

===============

The belt-line profile is different between G and S cars' door skins. The internal "framework" is the same, though.

Several G car owners have fitted the additional rubber seal around the black outer door frames, for example.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts