The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't looked super hard but has anyone pushed the Evora to high horsepower levels?

I get that bolt-ons like intake-exhaust-tune on the charge cooled cars is pretty effective but I've yet to see extensive builds beyond 500whp.

And yes they share the v6 with Camrys and Camrys have accomplished this but I'm curious if its been done in a Lotus specifically.

·
Vendor
3,464 Posts
It hasn't that I am aware of, I am discussing it with a customer right now though, Happy to discuss with you if interested. I have another customer with a 2GR MR2 and we are putting turbos in it in the next few months.

·
Registered
2021 Evora GT - Epsom green/Zest yellow/Carbon pack
154 Posts
I get that bolt-ons like intake-exhaust-tune on the charge cooled cars is pretty effective but I've yet to see extensive builds beyond 500whp.
I mean, tracktime has a GT with exactly what you listed that currently has 570 with a tune through komotec. It’s not exactly extensive but it is 500+.
What exactly are you thinking/have in mind?

·
Administrator
13,485 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Evora GT, Metallic Racing Green
446 Posts
There's this pretty gnarly build

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Those other builds are nice too, I was just referring to straight-line performance.

I guess my perspective is skewed by spending too much time looking at built Evos, STIs, Corvettes, etc. that have more than double their original power.

There's this pretty gnarly build

THAT is more like it! When I get my example I'll definitely be looking at that thread alot haha

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess my perspective is skewed by spending too much time looking at built Evos, STIs, Corvettes, etc. that have more than double their original power.
For example before I even got my Evo I already knew of many 1000hp+ builds to look up to. Ofcourse a 4 cylinder making such power requires a really big turbo with a pretty bad powerband, but the fact that its been done many times before is encouraging.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are there cases of it failing at certain levels? Or it just cautionary?

Not that its a stretch to believe that it has a limit, but the question is where is the limit?

What is the most aggressive clutch people run on Evoras? A glance a MWR's website shows some pretty insane combos that don't seem realistic haha.

·
Premium Member
9,456 Posts
For example before I even got my Evo I already knew of many 1000hp+ builds to look up to. Ofcourse a 4 cylinder making such power requires a really big turbo with a pretty bad powerband, but the fact that its been done many times before is encouraging.
Of course they were built up for drag racing and blew up pretty routinely...Lotus is not a great option for this kind of treatment to be honest. If its big HP you want, there are FAR better choices or just man up and buy a Lambo or Mclaren....LT Nothing more annoying than fast straight line cars/drivers that can't corner for sh!! Back in the day an STi would last forever if you kept it in the 400hp zone but above that reliability went down the shi!!ter. I mhave seen several serious race prepped WRX/STis implode....never pretty.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I wouldn’t try to build a lotus for straight line performance. Im sure it can be done, but I agree with @brgelise there are many better options for straight line.
And as everyone on here knows I’ve been critical of the stock hp on the GT, but the setup I had before the tune was fantastic and now with the tune at 467rwhp I doubt there are many cars that will get past it on the track. I wouldn’t ever consider trying to drag race someone from a stop even with the extra hp. The car just isn’t set up for that.

·
Premium Member
9,456 Posts
We are now interpreting each other much better:D

·
Registered
343 Posts
To me part of what makes the evora so bad as a drag strip,or just straight line car is how difficult it is to swap the trans. It’s pretty labor intensive to remove the back end of the car to get aces to the engine/trans. Dealerships supposedly charge around $10,000 for just a new clutch, some state closer to $5k at a Indy shop.

a friend has a 1,200 whp GTR, crazy fast, he does 1/4 mi, half mi, full mile + and track days with the car. Consumables were so expensive…. He decided to get something else to use at track days. First a supercharged Miata, then atom 3s, another supercharged Miata and now a few year old GT3.

that being said I would like a little more power out of my GT, probably do something similar with what tracktime did to his GT. Ohlins, exhaust/headers, tune…. Really looking forward to seeing how your car compares to your GT350 & GT500.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nothing more annoying than fast straight line cars/drivers that can't corner for sh!!
Exactly! I want the car to handle well first. The seconds car on my list would be a C6z, I KNOW those cars fit everything I want way better on paper, they might even be faster around circuits. But the reason why it's not first is that I don't like the handling like on it.

Back in the day an STi would last forever if you kept it in the 400hp zone but above that reliability went down the shi!!ter. I mhave seen several serious race prepped WRX/STis implode....never pretty.
Ofcourse, now there is knowledge out there such as the Japanese STI engines being able to do 500whp all day and the RA/2018+ Engines doing more and haven't even been pushed to their ends yet.

I'm willing to go spend more on less discovered platform to for the handling, looks, and rarity.

I always do alot of suspension upgrades on my cars aswell but this community has that in spades, hence why I didn't make a thread: "Are there track Evoras out there?" 😁

1 - 15 of 15 Posts