The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In learning about eliges on this forum in preparation for purchase of my first Lotus, I quickly ran into the issue of how expensive the clams were to replace.
I called Gator Motorsports and they quoted me prices for front and rear Elise and Exige clams.

But now that I think of it, I don't recall asking if they actually had them or could get them.
Then I read on another thread here that Lotus may not make them any more and one would have to go either second hand or repaired clams.

Can anyone shed any light ?

thanx & Happy New Year !!!!!
Jeff

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
You can definitely buy new aftermarket clams, fibre glass and carbon fibre. Do a search on the regular suppliers of after market parts. ??

·
Drone Racing Pilot
79 Posts
Give Jon Seal at lotushardtops a holler for what your looking for. They exported a rad shroud and a new clam for me with a quick turn around to the usa, car color matching gel coat and seam deletes if you so desire. Prices were the best I could find at the time and his service and response is also top notch.

·
Premium Member
2005 Lotus Elise; 2007 Lotus Exige S; 2012 Porsche 991S
1,412 Posts
I have heard a rumor that it's not possible to buy the OEM clams any longer. So the only options are aftermarket (but OEM design, so they look totally stock) new ones from folks like lotushardtops and elise-spares.com.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Are OEM hard tops still available? I have been looking for an artic silver one for many months but never seem to find any.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanx for the info all. That's an interesting website (Lotushardtops). sounds like they can help although a rear clam for the Exige is not in their product pages.
Does make be a bit nervous to buy a car for which OEM body panels are not made any longer.

I'm going to contact Gator Motorsports again and get their take.
I'll report back.

Cheers
Jeff

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
Thanx for the info all. That's an interesting website (Lotushardtops). sounds like they can help although a rear clam for the Exige is not in their product pages.
Does make be a bit nervous to buy a car for which OEM body panels are not made any longer.

I'm going to contact Gator Motorsports again and get their take.
I'll report back.

Cheers
Jeff
Greg’s Race Parts sells Exige front and rear clams, check out his website. Great guy to deal with.

Reactions: mojitoman6

·
Registered
282 Posts
Are OEM hard tops still available? I have been looking for an artic silver one for many months but never seem to find any.
you can still buy OEM hardtop. they are still being made for current gen exiges and elises (no roof scope). you may have a hard time getting factory exige series 2 roof though (with or without Mohawk)

·
He's on fire!
3,255 Posts
Casual observer here, take my opinion for what you paid for it:

I would be surprised if they weren't building any. The exige ones are hand laid, they often wait until there is enough demand to "do a run" which means that if your the first one to need a clam after the last in inventory is gone, you'll be waiting awhile if you want one from lotus.

Its important to note that the factory pieces are not known for being bolt on, they often need to be "worked" for the right fit. Depending on damage, its reasonable to believe that its cheaper/better/faster to repair, if you can identify a place that will do it right and warranty their work.

Outside of that, there are plenty of alternatives via aftermarket or used.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
What jds62f said does hold true for some Lotus parts. I wouldn't worry about it too much. I experienced this for my Evora's passenger airbag cover....took 7-8 months to get a factory replacement one. The reason for the long lead time was as jds62f stated.

I need to replace or fix my Elise's clam myself after my lip got ripped off and did some damage. I'm looking to do this before summer but will settle for aftermarket. There is stuff out there and our vendors have us covered!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I talked to the parts dept of Gator Motors. I can't remember the name of the guy I talked to but he seemed quite knowledgeable about Lotus parts. He told me new clams are available and that he has not had trouble this past year getting Elige clams. His only caution was the Exige 260's ('09 onwards ?) which have carbon inserts in the clams. These apparently may be hard to get OEM from Lotus.

Makes me feel better about buying a Lotus...…...

Jeff

1 - 12 of 12 Posts