The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
There are some old threads that debated this, but I couldn't find one that was definitive. Are these wheels DOT approved?

If not, any problem running them on the street?

Those of you that have upgraded to these over LSS wheels - what is your impression of their effect on performance?

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
I don't think anyone is going to notice, the DOT has bigger fish to fry. Its just like a Decat, I don't think the polices are going to ask me to take the diffuser off to inspect it. With that said I live in Alabama, you can drive a car without doors here!

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not much different here in Georgia, but I wonder about the legal aspects if you get into an accident.

Regardless, can anyone out there share their experience with the performance of these wheels vs. LSS wheels? I've been told that the 1/2" extra width works fine with the stock A048 tires sizes and that the weight increase is negligible. I assume that because these came equipped on special models of the Exige, there are no scrubbing problems with LSS suspension/tire sizes.

Comments?

·
Registered
7,242 Posts
Best wheels for these cars all around. Some are lighter, appearance is subjective. But they work great, are light, easy to clean, and to my taste look best too.

image.jpg

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I now have the anodized LSS wheels that came on the early cars, which are a pain to keep clean, so that part would be a bonus.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Best wheels there are IMO. Why would they not be legal? They can be purchased from any authorized dealer if you want to fork over $900 per wheel.

·
Registered
7,242 Posts
Can dealers still get them?

·
Registered
287 Posts
I cannot clarify the DOT question but, as far as upgrading from LSS, there are advantages. The extra half inch allows for a wider selection of tire choices, for example-I now run 215/45R16 and 245/40R17 tires which are a fair bit wider with nearly the identical diameter as the OE Yokos. As for maintenance; they are much easier to clean and look outstanding. I have them on my daily driver with no issues.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Can dealers still get them?
Last year my dealer mentioned they could get the newer version, without the script. Maybe not now, but I've seen them for sale from some sites ig GB.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just ordered a set in silver today with the center caps. It's time to replace all four tires, so I figured that this would be the time to make the swap. I'll keep the LSS wheels for posterity.

Thanks for the replies and advice!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Sounds like a Merry Christmas for you!

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
129 Posts
Will you need spacers or will these bolt right on?

·
Registered
129 Posts
I cannot clarify the DOT question but, as far as upgrading from LSS, there are advantages. The extra half inch allows for a wider selection of tire choices, for example-I now run 215/45R16 and 245/40R17 tires which are a fair bit wider with nearly the identical diameter as the OE Yokos. As for maintenance; they are much easier to clean and look outstanding. I have them on my daily driver with no issues.

What brand tires are you using in these sizes? The 215/45R16 fronts are hard to come by based on my searches. Also, any rubbing with these sizes? Can you post pics of your car?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
214 Posts
Just FYI:

Purchased these from this UK supplier:

240R Lightweight Forged Alloy Wheels - Wheels - Wheels and Tyres

They also have the center caps:

Lotus Wheel Centre Cap For Forged Wheels - Wheels and Tyres

The Pound is currently worth about $1.63. The Value Added Tax (VAT) shown does not apply to US customers, only those in the UK.

Shipping to the US east coast is about $200 via FedEx.

can you confirm those center caps fit the 240 cup wheels? according to this post, they don't:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/2373545-post35.html

·
Registered
287 Posts
The tires I'm running are Kumho Ecsta XS 215/45R16 and 245/40R17. No spacers, no rubbing, no ABS or traction control issues. For pics-go to the "photo only"thread-two pics on the first page.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
These are the center caps that Dave Garthwaite of Seriously Lotus recommended to go with the Cup wheels as being the correct ones. I presume that since he sells both, he must know. Regardless, I'll email him with your concerns and post the response.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Okay, I received a response from Dave in the UK this morning concerning the center caps:

Not really sure why people don't think they are the correct ones??? I buy them from lotus hence the price. The ones you purchased are now fitted to each wheel, so yes they fit, are the correct ones and are listed by lotus as such.

Hope this helps
Regards
Dave
The wheels have been shipped via FedEx and will be here on Wednesday.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts