The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Lotus Exige S Turbo
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - apologies for the novice question to begin with.

The title says it all; I recently purchased my 2006 Exige, and it appears to have Elise seats. However, being the one year pre-S, I wanted to hear some input as to what this car would have come with stock.

I did some googling, and it appears the 2006 Exige came with the Exige seats I would expect, so I wanted to confirm here that these are indeed Elise seats, as they certainly appear to be.

I appreciate the help!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Do the seats have adjustable lumbar with the blood pressure cuff style hand pump?

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Yes, those are elise seats, exige seats would have harness cutouts and be cloth or leather with the word exige on them.

·
Registered
2007 Lotus Exige S Turbo
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do the seats have adjustable lumbar with the blood pressure cuff style hand pump?
They do indeed! I hadn't even noticed that yet. What would that indicate?

Yes, those are elise seats, exige seats would have harness cutouts and be cloth or leather with the word exige on them.
I appreciate you confirming my suspicions. Looks like I'll have a pair of elise seats up for sale soon...

·
Registered
132 Posts
‘06 Exige owner here, can confirm those look like Elise seats. Is it a possibility what you bought is actually an Elise with the front clam, rear clam, and hinge covers swapped to that from an Exige?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
They do indeed! I hadn't even noticed that yet. What would that indicate?

I appreciate you confirming my suspicions. Looks like I'll have a pair of elise seats up for sale soon...
There is an air bladder inside the seat that you can inflate with that hand pump (or deflate by turning the knob). This is only on the '05, so you might want to try out some probax seats first and make sure that you don't need the lumbar adjustment to be comfortable. I got rid of my '05 seats and went with exige seats and haven't looked back (I was also wanting the harness cutouts), but some people do actually prefer the '05 seats. Just comes down to your particular build and posture.

·
Registered
2007 Lotus Exige S Turbo
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
‘06 Exige owner here, can confirm those look like Elise seats. Is it a possibility what you bought is actually an Elise with the front clam, rear clam, and hinge covers swapped to that from an Exige?

You had me questioning it so I just ran the VIN, turns out to be a 2007 Exige, though from the random free vin lookup site doesn't appear to be an S? Is that possible?

·
Registered
2007 Lotus Exige S Turbo
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Scratch that, paid the few dollars for a better report, it's a 2007 Exige S. As part of the report, I got pictures of it from when it was "totaled", which was a welcome surprise. Interestingly, it had the Elise seats in it when crashed in 2013, or the owner swapped them in before it got hauled away.

·
Registered
2007 Lotus Exige S Turbo
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is an air bladder inside the seat that you can inflate with that hand pump (or deflate by turning the knob). This is only on the '05, so you might want to try out some probax seats first and make sure that you don't need the lumbar adjustment to be comfortable. I got rid of my '05 seats and went with exige seats and haven't looked back (I was also wanting the harness cutouts), but some people do actually prefer the '05 seats. Just comes down to your particular build and posture.
That's very interesting, maybe the previous owner swapped them in for the lumbar support? I'd like to go back to the original appearance, so I'll definitely be pulling them for some Exige seats when/if they pop up on the marketplace. Would the lumbar function make them more valuable or is it mainly just preference?

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions, I hope to repay the favor down the line once I've spent some more time in the Lotus world.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Is the 10th character in the vin a 6 or 7? Is the bellows for the air intake attached to the rear clam in the top center? Is the roof scoop open? These are all differences between the 6-7 that I can think of.

·
Registered
132 Posts
You had me questioning it so I just ran the VIN, turns out to be a 2007 Exige, though from the random free vin lookup site doesn't appear to be an S? Is that possible?
Based on your headlights (newer sealed design) 2007 sounds right, that was the first year that had them.

·
Registered
2007 Lotus Exige S Turbo
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is the 10th character in the vin a 6 or 7? Is the bellows for the air intake attached to the rear clam in the top center? Is the roof scoop open? These are all differences between the 6-7 that I can think of.
Thanks for the insight

kfennell. The 10th digit is a 7, and the car is extensively modified with a custom turbo setup so the air intake is no longer a viable indicator. I posted a followup to my vin run but it has yet to be approved by a mod. Seems like replies to other's posts go through, so I've copied and pasted:

"Scratch that, paid the few dollars for a better report, it's a 2007 Exige S. As part of the report, I got pictures of it from when it was "totaled", which was a welcome surprise. Interestingly, it had the Elise seats in it when crashed in 2013, or the owner swapped them in before it got hauled away."

When I thought it was an 06, the turbo setup made some sense being originally NA, though I'm not sure why someone would ditch the supercharger for a turbo setup on an Exige, but that's another story.

Based on your headlights (newer sealed design) 2007 sounds right, that was the first year that had them.

Thank you alaix002, it seems that you're correct! Greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
You don't know which year car you bought?

·
Registered
2007 Lotus Exige S Turbo
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
You don't know which year car you bought?
Fair question, and it's a long explanation as to why my answer is "yes". I bought the car from a friend. The car was being sold with an out of state salvage title, which here in NY requires a DMV inspection at one of their few inspection centers to receive a new title. Due to covid, it only re-opened recently, and the wait list for an inspection appointment is incredibly long.

The fun part: some of the paperwork from the salvage transaction lists 2006, some lists 2007, though same vin. I was operating on the assumption that it was a 2006, as it would make more sense as a base for a turbo build, being originally NA.

·
Registered
2007 Lotus Exige S Turbo
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@atmh ..if you are going down the stock route.. you two could work a deal maybe...
@atmh Congrats on your new Elise! It’s a gorgeous spec. Looks like we have opposite scenarios, I have seat envy! Let me know if you’d be interested in a swap with cash on my end, though the cross-country logistics might be interesting.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise Nightfall Blue
45 Posts
Woah! Yeah, I'm almost certainly a "yes" on doing a swap, but with two caveats:

1: No idea what the Elise seats are worth vs. Exige seats, but I'm down for whatever is fair
2: I haven't actually sat in a 2005 with stock seats, so I don't know if they fit me well or not. Although I suppose that's not the biggest risk in the world.

Shipping should only be mildly a pain in the butt. Not a deal breaker on my end.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise Nightfall Blue
45 Posts
Ok, relatively quick sleuthing: Exige seats appear to be $2k, '05 Elise seats appear to be $1k. Plus or minus a couple hundred based on condition.

Also, yeah, I'm interested enough in having a "stock" car that I'll take the risk on the '05 seats not fitting my body. If I hate them, I'll deal with it at that point. I don't want to give @6TVRs+ too much fodder to disqualify me from running in SCCA A-Street when I start beating him. ;)

·
Registered
2007 Lotus Exige S Turbo
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok, relatively quick sleuthing: Exige seats appear to be $2k, '05 Elise seats appear to be $1k. Plus or minus a couple hundred based on condition.

Also, yeah, I'm interested enough in having a "stock" car that I'll take the risk on the '05 seats not fitting my body. If I hate them, I'll deal with it at that point. I don't want to give @6TVRs+ too much fodder to disqualify me from running in SCCA A-Street when I start beating him. ;)
I'm assuming that is for each pair respectively? That sounds relatively reasonable to me. Anyone with more knowledge feel free to chime in!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts