The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I have had enough chances to open up the car on a consistent basis I just keep noticing that the wind really can toss the car around at higher speeds. In my head in just saying slap on a wing and diffuser and presto... problem solved. Is that realistic? How much of an impact would they have. Unfortunately I am factoring in how well the wing looks so the more functional ugly ones are out of the question. I was looking at the GUT combo. Any other suggestions?

·
Premium Member
4,551 Posts
I'm not sure about slapping it on and problem solved....Is the purpose for tracking or looks?

Aero is used more for control and planting the car down at high speeds....certainly a wing and splitter will help. I have the Gut combo and 5 element diffuser, and it helps create downforce. More aggressive wings are the Reverie or APR...

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure about slapping it on and problem solved....Is the purpose for tracking or looks?

Aero is used more for control and planting the car down at high speeds....certainly a wing and splitter will help. I have the Gut combo and 5 element diffuser, and it helps create downforce. More aggressive wings are the Reverie or APR...
Not for looks. I actually dont even want one but after seeing how it feels at high speeds I think I need it.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I don't think you are going to get much of a difference re: wind gusts. Also, two points to bear in mind:

1. wing / diffuser are not going to generate any meaningful downforce until you are going significantly more than the freeway speed limit .....

2. if they did have an effect, you'd want to be sure that whoever designed them kept the "balance" of the cars aero in place i.e. didn't increase front grip, but leave the rear loose etc.

Before going that route, one thing you might check is your alignment - its pretty common for these cars to be delivered out of spec :tadts: Depending on settings, an alignment can affect high speed stability quite a lot .........

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
I would go so far as to suggest that the alignment setting can have a much greater effect than the wing and splitter as far as whether or not the car feels darty at speed. In fact, if the car is set up feeling darty, giving it more down force might just increase that feeling.

xtn

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Now that I have had enough chances to open up the car on a consistent basis I just keep noticing that the wind really can toss the car around at higher speeds. In my head in just saying slap on a wing and diffuser and presto... problem solved. Is that realistic? How much of an impact would they have. Unfortunately I am factoring in how well the wing looks so the more functional ugly ones are out of the question. I was looking at the GUT combo. Any other suggestions?
I have a exige, and during high winds (hawaiian trade winds!) the wind has almost total control of the car. The lotus is obviously a high drag car. The light weight is also a factor in the winds grasp of the car. The wing doesnt help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts