The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm very interested in buying a Lotus Elise however one of the only worries I have is finding parts. I live in Southern California and am wondering where most people go, when something inevitably breaks? I assume Toyota carries the majority of the major engine components, however is there many common places that carry drive train parts? Has finding parts been a major issue for many owners?

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Takes FOREVER to get crap from Lotus, that I can tell you. I have had about 200$ of small parts/trim pieces on order for close to 2 months and they are saying "maybe" will ship end of this month.

·
Super Moderator
6,817 Posts
I've found that Lotus parts are readily available and easy to get. The only delay is if the specific item is in England instead of the US, but even then you're looking at a week versus a couple days. Talk to Justin at Fox Valley, he'll get you whatever you need, from small trim pieces to major components.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
If you are not in a wreck, the parts which are most likely to break (and wear) are easy to get. This is especially true if you are upgrading with aftermarket parts. Specialized trim pieces and such (which are only Lotus sourced) are a tougher proposition. I am not a fan of adding carbon fiber to my car, that said, many trim parts are available in carbon fiber. Before I get flamed about the unspeakable beauty of carbon fiber, my car is SSM class, so I can't get lighter, I need to get heavier. If someone starts making lead fiber trim parts, them I am set!

·
He's on fire!
3,087 Posts
I'm guessing none of you guys saying its easy have tried for parts recently? A year ago I had no problem getting parts. I made a couple parts requests last week, and the response was "Lotus doesn't make that anymore" and "those have been on backorder for 4 months."

I would say that right now, lotus parts are hard to find if you want them from lotus. I know its not the fault of FVMC or Lotusgarage, but it is what it is.

I've found that Lotus parts are readily available and easy to get. The only delay is if the specific item is in England instead of the US, but even then you're looking at a week versus a couple days. Talk to Justin at Fox Valley, he'll get you whatever you need, from small trim pieces to major components.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
The parts I have on order are coming from Lotus in England. Ordered through Lotus Garage.

Also something to check is Lotus dealers are not very common. None exist in Alaska, closest ones are in Oregon or Washington, about 3000 miles away.

Stuff like aftermarket supported items or engine/trans parts are easy to get even at Napa, Carquest, etc since it's just a common Toyota setup. Most of the time though you have to say it's a 1.8L Corolla motor vs a Lotus cause it's rarely in the books or computer.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Buy a salvage Lotus now! It's your safest and quickest bet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts