The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Saw a S1 Elise in Portland today at amusement park. My wife was impressed cause I spotted it from 2 blks away. It was the most beautiful blue Ive ver seen(looked like Magnetic--perhaps Cobalt?). I bet the owner caught me gawking at his car. The interior is definitely better on S2 Elise. Very simple looking but clean. Man, it was a nice looking car.

So back to my original question, can there be street legal S1 Elises in the US?. I thought they were all track only vehicles. This car had regular OR plates.

Seeing cars like this person really makes me crave my Elise all thamuch more. I wish I wouldnt have seen the blue though cause once again, I cant decide between mag vs ardent. The blue was just stunning. Wife told me she didnt want to hear about the Elise anymore...:)

·
Registered
758 Posts
mact3333 said:
Saw a S1 Elise in Portland today at amusement park. My wife was impressed cause I spotted it from 2 blks away. It was the most beautiful blue Ive ver seen(looked like Magnetic--perhaps Cobalt?). I bet the owner caught me gawking at his car. The interior is definitely better on S2 Elise. Very simple looking but clean. Man, it was a nice looking car.

So back to my original question, can there be street legal S1 Elises in the US?. I thought they were all track only vehicles. This car had regular OR plates.

Seeing cars like this person really makes me crave my Elise all thamuch more. I wish I wouldnt have seen the blue though cause once again, I cant decide between mag vs ardent. The blue was just stunning. Wife told me she didnt want to hear about the Elise anymore...:)
Could be that it's a track only car being driven on the street, or it could be registered as a different car.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
There's an yellow S1 at Scottsdale Lotus, however, I'm not sure if it's for track use only.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
mact3333 said:
Saw a S1 Elise in Portland today at amusement park. My wife was impressed cause I spotted it from 2 blks away. It was the most beautiful blue Ive ver seen(looked like Magnetic--perhaps Cobalt?).
probably azure--one of my favorites

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
Re: Re: are there any street legal S1 Elises in the states????

atyclb said:

i wish we could get this color.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
There is/was a company that did import S1's and S2's as well as VX220 and they claim they could make them street legal.

http://www.eliseusa.com/

I don't know if anyone had any experience good or bad with them.

Does anybody knows anything about these guys?

Miguel

·
Lotus Sales
629 Posts
S1 Elise

I currenty own an S1 Exige and know for certain that there is no way to legally import one as it was in Europe unless it is imported as a race only vehicle and not to be used on the street. I actually had an S1 that was imported as parts and reassembled with a Honda V Tec engine in it. It was titled as a kit car and was not considered a Lotus as far as the local DMV goes. If you ask many importers, it would be considered a GREY area as to the legality of this vehicle............Hence, the GREY market. I have imported many Euro Spec cars dating back to 1982. Many have been converted to US specs and some were race cars. I can tell you that I would not touch one imported that does not have the correct EPA/DOT papers. At this point in time, why even consider one when you can have a US legal one with a three year warranty?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Not so fast Mark.....

Oregon has a rule that allows "special interest" vehicles to have a plate specialty plate. The cars are supposed to be driven to and from car events.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Other than Oregon, there are a few S1's on the street (yes, street legal -- not 'for track use only')

A few seem to have bypassed the rules somehow. Not just Sun International cars either

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Re: are there any street legal S1 Elises in the states????

atyclb said:

Aty, you got it!. It was that color. Had the same exact wheels as seen in your pics also. Too bad Azure isnt offered anymore. I couldnt believe how bright it was and how much it grabbed your attention. I could go for Azure over Ardent!.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I know for sure that there are S1's in the US with plates legally. Albeit only 12 to my knowledge, but there are some. I have argued with people in the past on this issue and I had it explained to me how it was done. The owner of Auto Europe in Michigan has one of them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had a Mk1 Azure Blue 111S in UK , and magnetic blue is very close to it. Hence Im waiting for a Magnetic Blue from Auto Europe which Ive been told will be here next month.
By the way Auto Europe has a Mk1 Azure Blue 111S for sale I think they wanted around $60K for it. Apparently when of there customers brought in about 6 from Germany and had them converted for the US, not an Integra change, not sure how.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Buyer beware:eek:

I would not risk it...the feds have these big car crushers:no:

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I wouldn't touch a car that wasn't brought in by Lotus USA.

There are ways to get a plate on the car (even a track only car brought in by LUSA) - you just have to use your imagination

·
Registered
6 Posts
You wrote....

At this point in time, why even consider one when you can have a US legal one with a three year warranty?

Because they are different cars. The original S1 is more than 300 pounds lighter that the US S2 for example.

It will be interesting to compare the two once my US S2 shows up.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
S1owner said:
Small world. My car. Glad you liked it.

Not a track car. Original model, right down to the no longer available MMC brake rotors.

118 hp, 1650 pounds.

So did ya see the Silver MDX circling your car a few times?. Thanks for not calling the cops...:).

So do tell. It is azure right?. How did ya get it street legalized?. How long have ya owned it?. Hopefully, you go to Lotus Trackdays at PIR so I can get a better look. My S2 should be here before Christmas.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
S1owner said:
You wrote....

At this point in time, why even consider one when you can have a US legal one with a three year warranty?

Because they are different cars. The original S1 is more than 300 pounds lighter that the US S2 for example.

It will be interesting to compare the two once my US S2 shows up.
I wasnt considering the S1. I was just admiring it!...:). I love that color. If azure was available, I would change my order to that color asap Check out the other thread i started today after seeing your car. Darn you!..:D :D :D

http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4644

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry didn't see you. Yes it is Azure. Owned it since 98. I have been at Lotus days in the past but not lately though I did have my car at PIR for AMLS and CART races when we were showing the US S2.

Who did you order your car from Park Place? I'm not looking forward to having to drive the round trip for warranty service as it looks like we aren't going to have a local dealer for a while.

Happy to give you a ride. Post your email so I can contact you.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts