The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really.... REALLY dig the Lotus 25,33,38, and 49 cars....

Only can assume they're in a museum and/or damn near impossible to find.

Before I get flamed on, I have no clue what one would cost.

I just really dig the car. So, are there any companies that make a kit version or maybe sell a similar design?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Maybe look at 51's as well, saw one or two for sale a year of so ago your side of the pond.

But it should be easy to knock one up if you sink enough cash into it. The one guy I work with and share a pit garage with has a 51, he has two spare body shells he had made up and is running a non original frame under the original body. The original frame is there but needs a little TLC after a previous owner put it into the wall sideways by the look of it.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I know there are also Lotus 23 replicas, at least you can drive them to the track and back...just saying...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Gordy,
like to talk to you about your project. I'm doing one myself, your a bit ahead of me. did the picts, books, models. now doing the mockup prior to sheetmetal
CHuck

·
Registered
135 Posts
Bump.

Keep us updated guys. Incredible.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I am currently working on this. I was short a million so I decided to build my own.
Epic first posts, dudes. :bow: Now they just need updates!

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
Wow! How about some more details on the design to construction phases? Amazing that you just appear with a 49 that is being hand made in your garage.......

·
Registered
16 Posts
My apologies to the purists. I preface this post with that comment as I have found some to be very interested in my little project and a few less so. I will leave it at that.

Having lusted for a 49 all my life and always being a bit short on cash, I entertained myself with a Lotus 41, a 51, and my current project, a 61. But the desire was ever present and I have been working on a close to exact 49 for the last few years.

I have approached the build from two very different directions, one a true monocoque, built to exact dimension and another, a tube frame/fiberglass body creation. When finished I hope to have two great track day cars, and sell one of them to fund my next endeavor.

I have included a few pics , hopefully of interest. The motor shown in the above post has now been replaced with a proper DFV and Hewland transaxle, and most of the suspension is complete. Still quite a ways from completion.

Attachments

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
Just WOW! I can't see how anyone isn't impressed by your passion, craftsmanship, and creativity. The monocoque work-up alone is absolutely incredible.

I say don't waste your time on any "purist" who doesn't have an original 49 of his own...

The building of faithful yet affordable replicas of classic aircraft is truly appreciated and respected in the aviation/EAA community as they should be here. (For instance, there are some incredible 3/4 P-51 designs that really kick butt.) Your work appears to be on a par with some of the best stuff I've seen there.

Keep posting updates please!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for the kind words. I certainly can't or won't take credit for all the work, I have been assisted by some other very talented craftsmen along the way.

I will get some updated pictures posted in the next few days. The 61 is taking up most of my attention right now. It is currently down to bare frame, ready for some minor tube repair, and then off to the powdercoat shop. I just finished the refresh of the motor and transaxle, looking forward to reassembly.

When completed I plan to paint it in Gold Leaf Team Lotus colors, similar to this one.

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
Keep us informed. Very cool projects.

These cars offer something that can't be had from modern manufacturers today. I applaud people who make their own when there is no other way to get that driving and ownership experience. In truth a recreation might end up being a more pure creation because it will be used on a track and not be a garage queen.

I care about driving more than history. Cars are not stamps.

Love your passion, and it looks like you are having a lot of fun!!!

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
51/61 are cool - id really like to have a 69, and in FB spec even more so - Kyle here has one... (that #%*!!#&) lol

the 47 build looks very cool - its certainly not magic to make it work - how many lola t70's have been re-created? (many, is the answer) its just that so few formula cars get the love and thought they deserve! as for the monocoque, since all the atlantics, f500's, indy cars of the era and continentals were built similarly - there is talent around to make it happen - maybe not "exactly the same" but likely better and safer and more durable than original (which would be a good thing!). mclarens f5000 we also quite similar - there is a guy in AUS making a replica one of those i believe.

where did you source the DFV? ....epic :)

where are you based Gordy?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Gordy, on the 61 are you planning on maintaining the in frame cooling or going to do the outside of the tub cooling tube mod? Having had both I strongly suggest you go for the latter. The in frame cooling may be original but from the stand point of driver comfort, not desirable. Those tubes get hot and even when insulated generate a lot of heat within the cockpit.
Second food for thought item, the nose section as it came from the factory does not provide adequate air flow for cooling to the radiator. See attached photos, both cars were driven in the Texas region and without those extra openings we'd never have finished a session.
Third point, the original 61's came with solid wheels. the spokers are nice but in some classes of vintage they would be not allowed.
Good luck with the rebuilds, looks like you are doing a great job thus far.

Al B.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 37 Posts