The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
It always makes me smile when reviewers say Lotus use a 'Camry' engine, just to add an extra kick.
In reality the Toyota GR V6 engine family are used in all sorts Toyota & Lexus - saloons, 4X4s, SUVs, MPVs, pick-ups.... different CCs, different fuel systems, different cam timings - some with hybrid, different ways of mounting them in the car, 2WD/4WD etc. I guess its like the GM small block of the Toyota world... Yet when reviewers mention the LS engine its not normally connected to the vanilla part of GM's range.

I agree, Lotus switching to Toyota drivetrains since 2004 has been a major benefit, especially if you don't live near an experienced Lotus workshop. Going back further, Lotus did use Toyota drivetrain components in the 80's too.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Technically it's a RAV4 engine in the Evora, but I guess the general public is more familiar with the Camry.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
144 Posts
It always makes me smile when reviewers say Lotus use a 'Camry' engine, just to add an extra kick.
In reality the Toyota GR V6 engine family are used in all sorts Toyota & Lexus - saloons, 4X4s, SUVs, MPVs, pick-ups.... different CCs, different fuel systems, different cam timings - some with hybrid, different ways of mounting them in the car, 2WD/4WD etc. I guess its like the GM small block of the Toyota world... Yet when reviewers mention the LS engine its not normally connected to the vanilla part of GM's range.

I agree, Lotus switching to Toyota drivetrains since 2004 has been a major benefit, especially if you don't live near an experienced Lotus workshop. Going back further, Lotus did use Toyota drivetrain components in the 80's too.
I prefer to say they use the Sienna engine, because that way my wife's van is basically a Lotus.

·
Premium Member
2005 Elise LSS Saffron Yellow
784 Posts
As far as I can tell, a Toyota engine family (Like GR, A, ZZ, or S) is related only in the sense that the bore spacing and crankshaft journal spacing are the same between all models. Stuff like oil pumps, etc will also be similar in layout, but can vary in detail.

Calling a 2GR-FE a Camry engine is like saying that the 3SGTE (ST185 Celica AllTrac Turbo - homologation car for the WRC Celica) is a Camry engine, even though it never came in a Camry, though other S engines did. In Chevrolet language it would be like calling a 302 small block a Caprice engine.

The GR family has 14 variants, according to the wikipedia article. They vary greatly in displacement and focus from high economy to high performance.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
144 Posts
As far as I can tell, a Toyota engine family (Like GR, A, ZZ, or S) is related only in the sense that the bore spacing and crankshaft journal spacing are the same between all models. Stuff like oil pumps, etc will also be similar in layout, but can vary in detail.

Calling a 2GR-FE a Camry engine is like saying that the 3SGTE (ST185 Celica AllTrac Turbo - homologation car for the WRC Celica) is a Camry engine, even though it never came in a Camry, though other S engines did. In Chevrolet language it would be like calling a 302 small block a Caprice engine.

The GR family has 14 variants, according to the wikipedia article. They vary greatly in displacement and focus from high economy to high performance.
The wiki article states that the 2GR-FE came in both the Evora and Camry. Yes there are tons of GR variants, but the 2GR-FE is the one Lotus uses, and it is the one available in the Camry and many other Toyotas. Unless I am reading something wrong?

·
Registered
196 Posts
The 2GR-FE is used in several Toyota and Lexus models, as listed in the wiki. There are slight variations and the one that Lotus used is the RAV4 variant, because of the ports for an external oil cooler. This is mentioned in the book about the Evora development, "Sublime Supercar".

Reactions: BForbes

·
Registered
300 Posts

For a 2GR-FE, this would be decoded as the 2nd displacement variation of the GR block with a F (narrow, "energy efficient") valve train air flow using a scissor drive for the 2 cams (one cam driven off the other) and E for Fuel Injected (EFI). A 3S-GTE motor would the the 3rd displacement variation of the S block, G for wide "performance" angle valve train and not scissor driven, T for Turbocharged and E for fuel injected. And, as far as I know, the 3SGTE must be a RAV4 motor, because here's one in my 2000 RAV4:

·
Registered
300 Posts
Here's the back of the RAV. I call it "suburban camouflage."

My wife once blew the doors off a kid in a riced-out Honda at a stoplight, BOV blasting at shifts, etc. Much hilarity.

·
Premium Member
2005 Elise LSS Saffron Yellow
784 Posts
The station wagon of the last three decades. No bigger sleeper out there. Very nice.

·
Illegal Alien
5,079 Posts
For a 2GR-FE, this would be decoded as the 2nd displacement variation of the GR block with a F (narrow, "energy efficient") valve train air flow using a scissor drive for the 2 cams (one cam driven off the other) and E for Fuel Injected (EFI). A 3S-GTE motor would the the 3rd displacement variation of the S block, G for wide "performance" angle valve train and not scissor driven, T for Turbocharged and E for fuel injected. And, as far as I know, the 3SGTE must be a RAV4 motor, because here's one in my 2000 RAV4:

View attachment 1272472
The 4 cylinder RAV4 engine, vs 6 cylinder version that uses a 2GR-FE

·
Registered
6,549 Posts
Going back further, Lotus did use Toyota drivetrain components in the 80's too.
Indeed, if you look at the taillight lens of a Stevens Esprit you’ll see “Toyota“ molded into the plastic. They came from 84-85 Corolla SR5.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
144 Posts
Indeed, if you look at the taillight lens of a Stevens Esprit you’ll see “Toyota“ molded into the plastic. They came from 84-85 Corolla SR5.
I was aware they used the tail lights, but wasn't aware of any Toyota drivetrain components coming into play. What else did they borrow that long ago?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Most of the car was "borrowed" from something or other on an Esprit, besides the motor, frame and body. My parts substitution list Crystal Princess has a lot of them. Note that Atwell is now the Keeper of the List after I retired from the job.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I was aware they used the tail lights, but wasn't aware of any Toyota drivetrain components coming into play. What else did they borrow that long ago?
Back when Lotus offered consultancy (not sure it was called Lotus Engineering then) one of their clients was Toyota & they better sorted the then Supra. At about the same time, the final years of their 2+2 coupe (Excel ?) switched to Toyota gearbox, diff ... not sure what else. Its rumoured that Lotus also consulted on the MK1 MR2 at the same time too, don't know if thats true, but it certainly was a cracker of a car when launched and Toyota became a shareholder too, so it wasn't simply a single 'deal'

1 - 20 of 20 Posts